JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yup, my Tikka Super Varmint IS my favorite, but just barely! My Savage's are still pretty awesome though, especially my 110 .338 L.M.:):):) I offed my Ruger Precision and my Savage 10T-SR, but have kept the 110 and the 10 fcp. It really came down to the caliber with the Tikka, and how much use its getting, otherwise, the Savage would still be the top rifle for long range varmint wackin:D:D:D

Ah, the .338 LM. As the Most Interesting Man in the World would say......

"I don't shoot elephants often, but when I do, it's with the .338 LM." :D

Varmint wacker. LMFAO!! :p:D

So............. etrain16 still hasnt made up his mind yet? For what its worth, i still say Savage 10T -SR to start out with. Learn the basics of long range and you have a rifle that can grow with you. If money were to fall off the trees in your AO. Then a Tikka T3X or an older SuperVarmint would be the hot set up! Got even more to spend on a better barrel and accessories, then the Ruger PR is the tool to be cool!!! Point is, they all work well, and can fit with any budget! Bonus is that your likely to have an easier time getting out of the Savage with your pants on!

So............. etrain16 still hasnt made up his mind yet? For what its worth, i still say Savage 10T -SR to start out with. Learn the basics of long range and you have a rifle that can grow with you. If money were to fall off the trees in your AO. Then a Tikka T3X or an older SuperVarmint would be the hot set up! Got even more to spend on a better barrel and accessories, then the Ruger PR is the tool to be cool!!! Point is, they all work well, and can fit with any budget! Bonus is that your likely to have an easier time getting out of the Savage with your pants on!

Oh come on Tikka's are nicer and who the heck needs pants anyway!!! :p:D

I had been eyeing the 10FCP-SR - sounds like they're not too much different from each other, though the 10FCP uses a larger magazine (I do like that). Any thoughts between the two? You've owned both, haven't you?

Adding: Did a bit more comparison - FCP-SR has 20" and 24" barrel options, fluted and threaded barrel are standard, Accustock, 10rd magazine, top bolt release. Also sounds like the 10T-SR is exclusive to Cabela's? Non-threaded, non-fluted barrel, 24" only, and bottom bolt release.

Last Edited:
You guys know me, I don't mind at all. Heck, I've been moderated recently myself!! :p:D

My Savage 10T in .308 Win with Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x40 LRT scope, showing the extra 10 round magazine I picked up for it. I was able to score the rifle for just $429 from Cabela's (after Savage mail in rebate). The scope was a bit more than that, but still a pretty good budget long range rig.
IMG_20170310_113415.jpg

Don't have any pics at the moment, but I recently picked up a Savage 12 LRT in 6.5 Creedmoor. I liked the rifle, but fell in love with the trigger. I was also leaning towards the Savage 10 FCP-SR but just couldn't pass up the trigger on the LRT. I put an Athlon Helos 8-34 FFP and love it. Only taken it out twice so far but hitting 6" gongs at 550 is good for me, for now anyway.

etrain16 the primary diffrence between the two are barrel length amd rifling type as well as detachable mag capability. On my 10 fcp, it didnt have the accustock, accutrigher, or the bottom metal for detachable mags, what it did have is a 24 inch fluted barrel with true R-5 rifling. The newer version your looking at has all the goodies i would recomend, but it has the shorter 20 inch barrel, which unless your running a can all the time, will never reach the full potential of the longer barrel. The newer 10-T-SR has the even better hybrid R-5 rifling with the longer 24 inch length and is also threaded for suppressor use, or a brake, or flash hider! The only thing is dosnt have is the detachable mag bottom metal. That can be done pretty easy and only takes about an hour to do. Honestly, it really comes down to what you want the rifle to do, for a "tactical" type of set up where your going to be using a suppreasor and never plan to shoot past 800 yards, the 10 fcp-SR would be a nice rig, for longer range shooting at a more relaxed pace, the T-SR has the best combo of goodies out of the box. Now if your planning to hunt with this type of rifle, moving from "Hide" to hide stalking predators and you need a lightning fast follow up shot, this is where the Tikka comes in to its own. I special orderd mine to be the be all, end all of long hike high altitude shooting across the canyon rifle, and nether Savage, or the Ruger were ideal for that, and the only reason is the weignt! I was initially pleased with the Ruger untill i found its limits, and they were lower then the Savages or the Tikka!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top