JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an appointment for an ultrasound steroid injection Monday morning.
If it doesn't work next stop is shoulder replacement.
Who's had the steroid treatment in their shoulder? Successful? Length of relief?

I've had problems most of my adult life with the shoulder and have finally reached my tipping point of wanting to get it fixed, permanently.
Anyone done the shoulder replacement surgery?

I'm looking for real life experience.

My Dad had severe shoulder pain a couple of years ago and the doctor had him lined up for replacement. When they told him about all of the use restrictions afterwards he said hell no!! Went with the steroid shots for a while and they didn't seem to help. Just put up with the pain for a few more months and it gradually went away on its own. Hasn't bothered him for over a year now. As I recall the restrictions included never lifting over twenty pounds and not being able to raise your arm above shoulder level!! Not really acceptable for an otherwise healthy and active 80-year old.
Best of luck with your situation!!:(:(

I have had the steroid shots into my shoulder. It helped enough to be worth doing. It's definitely worth trying before surgery, but not the permanent answer to a life long condition. I am considering surgery for a torn rotator cuff.
Have not had shoulder replacement surgery, but have had both hips done. Since they were both bone on bone there weren't a whole lot of other solutions. Both hips work fine now with some restrictions like no jogging, which I don't do anyway.
I have had so many surgeries (under general anesthesia - anything under a local is just an office procedure) that I can't remember them all and my general opinion is that choosing the permanent solution is the way to go.

Who's had the steroid treatment in their shoulder? Successful? Length of relief?

I've had problems most of my adult life with the shoulder and have finally reached my tipping point of wanting to get it fixed, permanently.

I've dealt with shoulder issues for years. Just from repetitive work I suppose. The cortisone injections are nothing short of miraculous. I've also had them in my right knee and both wrists. I've been pretty luck I guess, only needing them once a year. Doc's say I should be okay for many years if that's all I need them. It's going to be on a case by case basis as to whether it works I'd think As said above, say your prayers (If inclined to do so), and get the shot. It's pretty darned painless, compared to wrist and knee shots.

My Dad had both shoulder done, before he had them he could hardly shoot at all and was always in pain, afterwords, he said it felt like he was 16 again..I have a very bad right shoulder i hurt in a fall, and the VA does those deep injunctions under a fluoroscope.they help a ton with pain and the ability to move and take recoil from my magnum calibers.

My Dad had severe shoulder pain a couple of years ago and the doctor had him lined up for replacement. When they told him about all of the use restrictions afterwards he said hell no!! Went with the steroid shots for a while and they didn't seem to help. Just put up with the pain for a few more months and it gradually went away on its own. Hasn't bothered him for over a year now. As I recall the restrictions included never lifting over twenty pounds and not being able to raise your arm above shoulder level!! Not really acceptable for an otherwise healthy and active 80-year old.
Best of luck with your situation!!:(:(

Thank you for the reply.
I already told the doctor I don't plan on slowing down. So the solution has to allow me to continue life on my terms.

I already had my left shoulder worked on when I was 15 from chronic dislocations. They snipped and stitched. It worked, until I continued my life.

The doc says I have i have impressive strength and mobility considering the issue that's happening.

I have had the steroid shots into my shoulder. It helped enough to be worth doing. It's definitely worth trying before surgery, but not the permanent answer to a life long condition. I am considering surgery for a torn rotator cuff.
Have not had shoulder replacement surgery, but have had both hips done. Since they were both bone on bone there weren't a whole lot of other solutions. Both hips work fine now with some restrictions like no jogging, which I don't do anyway.
I have had so many surgeries (under general anesthesia - anything under a local is just an office procedure) that I can't remember them all and my general opinion is that choosing the permanent solution is the way to go.

Thanks for reply.
I am doing the local anesthesia and back to work. I ve just never had a deep joint shot using ultrasound. I hate needles. And the description of this procedure makes my skin crawl.

I've dealt with shoulder issues for years. Just from repetitive work I suppose. The cortisone injections are nothing short of miraculous. I've also had them in my right knee and both wrists. I've been pretty luck I guess, only needing them once a year. Doc's say I should be okay for many years if that's all I need them. It's going to be on a case by case basis as to whether it works I'd think As said above, say your prayers (If inclined to do so), and get the shot. It's pretty darned painless, compared to wrist and knee shots.

Thanks Mike. Cortisone wasn't even an option. Docs words were brief. It's really bad and very limited options. I'm hoping the steroids will do the trick so I can get pan relief and I can rebuild the muscle + tendon structure via physical therapy and exercise.

My Dad had both shoulder done, before he had them he could hardly shoot at all and was always in pain, afterwords, he said it felt like he was 16 again..I have a very bad right shoulder i hurt in a fall, and the VA does those deep injunctions under a fluoroscope.they help a ton with pain and the ability to move and take recoil from my magnum calibers.

This sounds promising. I hope that this is the outcome I receive.

Last Edited:
Thanks Mike. Cortisone wasn't even an option. Docs words were brief. It's really bad and very limited options. I'm hoping the steroids will do the trick so I can get pan relief and I can rebuild the muscle + tendon structure via physical therapy and exercise.

wow, I guess I misunderstood what you were talking about. I was under the impression cortisone was a steroid. It's probably way more complicated though. I've know people (Mom) that had injections for years, and then had shoulder replacement. She was in her upper 80s and just never got use of her shoulder back. And people that have had rotator cuff repair that was a LOOOng healing process. I'll just hope you get something working for you. Being in pain every day sucks richard.

I've been getting a cortisone shot in my right shoulder once a year for the last 4 years. It makes a huge difference for
Me. Usually I'll get it and let that shoulder rest a couple days. I'm only 31 so my problems may not be as far advanced as some others but definitely worth a shot before doing surgery.

wow, I guess I misunderstood what you were talking about. I was under the impression cortisone was a steroid. It's probably way more complicated though. I've know people (Mom) that had injections for years, and then had shoulder replacement. She was in her upper 80s and just never got use of her shoulder back. And people that have had rotator cuff repair that was a LOOOng healing process. I'll just hope you get something working for you. Being in pain every day sucks richard.

You are correct about the cortisone.
I asked about cortisone and he said he's using another steroid.
Everything appears okay with my rotator cuff.
He described my condition as chronic and acute. Coupled with multiple bone spurs. Generic condition is arthritis at 45.
I've looked the healing time for a replacement. I'm not thrilled to put it mildly.
The only thing that needs to happen is it gets fixed. That's what I'm determined to make happen.

Yes you are right....and not right, the 'mix' they inject you with has a very long lasting pain med, sort of like what your DDS gives you for a root canal, however it lasts as long as 6 months or so, the steroid part is for anti inflammation, that combined with heat/ice stretching, weight loss muscle gain, and boom your as good as new BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH, as if....but its a trap...each time they do it, it becomes less effective, to the point that you either live with it or you take your chance on the surgery.

This is what the VA has given me to help with my knee, I had my knee replaced 2 plus years ago, long story short, it was a HHHUUGGGEE disaster for me, and now I might have to go through it all over again, however because of a injury I had in Asscrapastan to my pancreas and G I Trac I cant take pain meds or anti inflammatory, I get very ill and vomit etc etc..So i use this and it works great...its called dexamethasone, you inject a small amount just on/under the skin then paste on a iontophoresis patch with a small battery, 2 times a week and boom Its almost like im healed again...good luck dude.

IMG_2191.JPG

....but its a trap...each time they do it, it becomes less effective, to the point that you either live with it or you take your chance on the surgery.

That's the part I'm afraid of.
That at the end of the day the shot is a bandaid prolonging the inevitable.
I want this done while I'm younger and can heal with less potential for problems.
I am healthy otherwise.

Sorry to hear about your knees. That does not sound like any fun.

I have two bad shoulders from an incident when I was 19 with an extended ladder at work. I'm going to be 40 this year. I've lived with the limitations now for 20 years. I'm broken and there is no fix for the tearing within the shoulder for me.

mine are bad enough I cannot flex to do a push-up or hold a 10/22 to shoot standing up. Zero weight can be on my arms when out in front of me.

I've received steroid injections in both shoulders multiple times. I've had 3 months relief up to 6 months of relief. In 2015 I had the left shoulder operated on, it got better but now is a little better than the right. I did work outside yesterday and I'm feeling it. Aches and fire inside the shoulders that no anti inflammatory will cure.

Relief will be nice, sometimes it lasts and sometimes it doesn't. I hope your shot last longer than mine do.

He's correct it is a trap. My doctor warned me after the last one that to many cortisone shots can cause the bone/tissues in that area to degrade faster which leads to more problems. It's a slippery slope. I did go to chiropractor and learned some movement techniques to help keep it from getting so bad to where I need another shot. They seem to help somewhat. April/may is usually when I get my shot but it hasn't been bothering me quite as much this past year. When it gets bad I have to keep my elbow tucked into my body and can only use it from the elbow down. Trying to reach out with it causes extreme pain and my arm just drops.feels like it's dislocated almost. Funny thing tho is my left shoulder which has been dislocated doesn't really give me and problems.

Injections help. PT and exercise too. Surgery worked better. 5.5 month recovery though. I only had bone shaved for impingement and a rotator cuff tear repair which is far less than what a replacement procedure entails.

However, an arthritic joint is hard to treat so replacement may be the only option. (I know. Had both knees replaced in 2015.).

So good luck!

Injections help. PT and exercise too. Surgery worked better. 5.5 month recovery though. I only had bone shaved for impingement and a rotator cuff tear repair which is far less than what a replacement procedure entails.

However, an arthritic joint is hard to treat so replacement may be the only option. (I know. Had both knees replaced in 2015.).

So good luck!

I like that. I have bone spurs and impingement issues.
I am at the gym 5-6 days a week so strength and exercise is routine for me. I add in some exercises to build on range of motion. Both of which the doc said were impressive given the issues I'm dealing with.
I will discuss those ideas with him tomorrow and the viability as a problem solver with less recovery time.
Thanks!

What a bunch of screwed up old, and young, farts we have here! No wonder a bunch of us are on the board all times of day and night!

This is what the VA has given me to help with my knee, I had my knee replaced 2 plus years ago, long story short, it was a HHHUUGGGEE disaster for me, and now I might have to go through it all over again, however because of a injury I had in Asscrapastan to my pancreas and G I Trac I cant take pain meds or anti inflammatory, I get very ill and vomit etc etc..So i use this and it works great...its called dexamethasone, you inject a small amount just on/under the skin then paste on a iontophoresis patch with a small battery, 2 times a week and boom Its almost like im healed again...good luck dude.

View attachment 839063

Hey man? Thanks for what you've done, and given, in your service to our country! Seriously.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top