JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When I was a Kid, the NRA was focused 100% on the 2nd Amendment, training, education.
And was not the conservative biased group it is today, In Oregon OFF is constantly on the aggressive stance against Democrats even though not all Democrats support or vote for Gun laws.
In Washington State it seem lobbys there are not as biased and try and support all Gun owners, that may be because a huge amount of Washington residents are Libertarian and Democrats.

So I was pondering this and asking myself should a Constitutional Based Lobby, be party biased in how they view support and fights for our rights ? I was trying to figure out why we fail so poorly at defending our rights in Oregon and it dawned on me because lobby work here is done as a Party favorite. This in a state where the Majority is Democrats, we have lobbies that are Republican party biased. That make allot of sense if you are working to offend the point of view of Democrats, just because they are Democrats you will lose every single Democrat Firearms owners support. I am sure some Democrats are a member of OFF but its about as Rare as finding a Unicorn in Dallas Texas.
Not to pick on OFF but if you look at the money they spend on politician getting into office most all fail to take office and all are Republican. No support for Pro-Gun Democrats at all. Result is you alienate one whole party.

I am not saying OFF should reach across that isle your have a better chance at winning the lottery then getting them to do that and that only is because for years all they have done is bash the Democratic party over and over ignoring that some voters are Democrat and do not support Gun Bills. Read the articles put out by OFF they often contain Liberal, and Democrat as words to describe the enemy. Not all Liberals and Democrats are anti gun, but if you preach this you will divide those who might support you.

Now the go to response is, to say well then why do Democrat voters vote for a politician that is anti-gun. They don't they in many cases voted for a Pro-gay rights, pro-abortion or something and saw they stood for the majority of what they would want in a politician. But what is ignored is these same voters are way more powerful then OFF is if reached by the voters to their politicians. They are the ones that can say vote for that bill and we will remove you. Not one Democrat politician cares what a biased Lobby that supports the other party thinks and that leaves the Lobby to be a shell and powerless . However a non-biased lobby for firearms owners whom does not preach biased could help Democrats fight for gun rights. Currently no such entity exists in Oregon and that is sad.

This is our problem and is how and why laws and bills come up unopposed because we have biased representation, not biased to the 2nd Amendment, but biased to a party how is that ever going to help us.

Oh goody! Yet another chicken/egg discussion that will go on an on and on and on...

Some amazing facts
- Lobbyists will support the politicians that accept their support and talk to politicians that will listen and then act in support of that message.
- Lobbyists do not support politicians that refuse their support, and can't support politicians that won't allow them to present their message and will rail against it every chance they get.
- water is wet

Oh goody! Yet another chicken/egg discussion that will go on an on and on and on...

Some amazing facts
- Lobbyists will support the politicians that accept their support and talk to politicians that will listen and then act in support of that message.
- Lobbyists do not support politicians that refuse their support, and can't support politicians that won't allow them to present their message and will rail against it every chance they get.
- water is wet

Actually that is a generalized thought, Lobbies like PETA support liberal parties, and so on and so on Animal lobbys are not in the Constitution.
However 2nd Amendment Lobbys are about the only Constitutional Supporting Lobby's that support only biased parties.
There is a huge difference and lobbying for a cause that is not a right for all, and those that are Constitutional based.
In contrast, Abortion, Gay Rights etc are not written in the Constitution so some biased is expected.
But to be biased on a Constitutional right that should be for everyone makes those groups hypocrites in my view.
They say they support gun rights for all, yet only pander to one party. In Oregon its pretty bad.
I get what you are saying but you should not as a lobby get to choose whom is protected by the Constitution, and bashing the opposing party when they may also support your stance is wrong a play. So why I respect your answer it simply constitutionally doesn't hold water. As a Lobby you should be working for all persons that are pro-gun not just the ones who pay you. That makes you a politician not a lobbyist, in MHO :)

It's not going to, simple as that. Quantative statistics do little to help push an agenda as well, so democrats signing up with a party biased lobby will do nothing to change elections.
I agree, a lobby should focus on what it is meant to focus on without a party bias. They could achieve a lot more that way.

It's not going to, simple as that. Quantative statistics do little to help push an agenda as well, so democrats signing up with a party biased lobby will do nothing to change elections.
I agree, a lobby should focus on what it is meant to focus on without a party bias. They could achieve a lot more that way.

It was hard to put into words. Not saying Democrats should join groups like OFF that are party biased . I am saying Groups like OFF should really look at their party biased and think is that really accomplishing what you think it is.
But yep I agree with your post.

Actually that is a generalized thought, Lobbies like PETA support liberal parties, and so on and so on Animal lobbys are not in the Constitution.
However 2nd Amendment only Constitutional Supporting Lobby's that support only biased parties.
There is a huge difference and lobbying for a cause that is not a right for all, and those that are Constitutional based.
In contrast, Abortion, Gay Rights etc are not written in the Constitution so some biased is expected.
But to be biased on a Constitutional right that should be for everyone makes those groups hypocrites in my view.
They say they support gun rights for all, yet only pander to one party. In Oregon its pretty bad.
I get what you are saying but you should not as a lobby get to choose whom is protected by the Constitution, and bashing the opposing party when they may also support your stance is wrong a play. So why I respect your answer it simply constitutionally doesn't hold water. As a Lobby you should be working for all persons that are pro-gun not just the ones who pay you. That makes you a politician not a lobbyist, in MHO :)
Uh oh. Here goes. Nope, support of the Constitution should not follow party lines. But it
does. I no longer care to koombaya with folks who claim to support the 2nd Amendment, but publicly rally for their candidate that stands on an anti gun platform. And then hate me for not voting for their candidate. And to get my attention, trash their own downtown utopia.

Last Edited:
I don't care what party a person belongs to or what label they give themselves. If they are helping to support the Second Amendment I'm willing to work alongside them in that cause. We may have conflicts with other political issues, and may find ourselves in opposition there. Such is civilized life.

Gun rights organizations and lobbyists should work with and through whoever can help in our cause. I've been reading through a liberal gun forum (yup they exist, and not a snowflake to be found from what I've read) and when it comes to the Second they stand shoulder to shoulder with we conservatives - or at least they would if we didn't spend so much time and effort to piss them off.

We seriously need to engage people outside our preferred politics. Let's face it - Oregon is a one party state. The Republicans have no game and virtually all are unwilling to rock the boat. Democrat politicians don't give a damn about what a Republican constituent wants - they know we aren't going to vote for them. The only way we can exercise any leverage with the Democrat monoblock appears to be from within. We can't do that if all we do is bash the opposition, especially when not all of them are the opposition where gun rights are concerned.

Ideologically, Constitutional support would seem to cross party lines EQUALLY. Perhaps it does a little. But only a little? Why is this so? Makes one wonder who controls both major political parties? Just thinking. Respectfully.

Here, are a few questions.

1. How come other lobbies in other states provide legislation on their own to protect rights.
Here nada , nope zip. All we do here is play defense every year regardless if we had a majority.

2. How come lobbies think they get to say they are for everyone and yet speak otherwise.
Oregon's Lobbies as an example are not speaking for all gun owners in Oregon not by a long shot yet everyone acts like they are the voice of Oregon. So if they are not for all gun owners what use are they ?

3. Why do Oregon Lobbies never have radio commercial, Tv ads , fliers or bulletin-boards where does all the money go each year?
They are not hiring lawyers for new legislation? They are not traveling to gun shows like they used to ten years ago.

They sure do give allot to elections that fail each year.

Oregon lobbies are politicians just not voted in,
if you try and get straight answers you get the run around or called names for asking for accountability.

It should be noted I am up until 2017 a NRA member and supported OFF for over 15 years, until I asked similar questions I have here and didn't get a response until I see proactive action I wont be donating further.

Last Edited:
WAIT A MINUTE HERE . . .
The Oregon democrat party is overwhelmingly ANT-2nd AMENDMENT!!! AND, the legislature leadership and agenda is determined by the majority party. Therefore, when leadership is determined whether a democrat is pro or anti-2nd amendment is not considered.
That means, dear children, it is currently a mistake to elect ANY democrat.
On the other hand you can point to the snake, Boquist, as a counter-argument.

Sheldon

WAIT A MINUTE HERE . . .
The Oregon democrat party is overwhelmingly ANT-2nd AMENDMENT!!! AND, the legislature leadership and agenda is determined by the majority party. Therefore, when leadership is determined whether a democrat is pro or anti-2nd amendment is not considered.
That means, dear children, it is currently a mistake to elect ANY democrat.
On the other hand you can point to the snake, Boquist, as a counter-argument.

Sheldon

I think you missed the topic, the topic was about Democrats, as in people that are pro-gun not voting politicians that are Democrat.
And how most Lobbies in Oregon are biased to a party only one and there is no representation for others.
There are other issues why people vote a party yet in Oregon as a rule the lobbies here unlike other Conservative states represents only one party. I would like to see a poll how many NWFA members are Democrats and Pro-gun I am betting way more then the Lobbies realize.

it's the old "party trap" we keep getting into, aligning our selves to one side and then arguing amoungst our selves about all the things we want to change. I keep saying it, Take PARTY out of ever thing political and you will find more people to listen and actually HEAR what you are trying to say!

it's the old "party trap" we keep getting into, aligning our selves to one side and then arguing amoungst our selves about all the things we want to change. I keep saying it, Take PARTY out of ever thing political and you will find more people to listen and actually HEAR what you are trying to say!

This is very true, yet people have misconstrued for so long, thoughts like
Liberals are all Democrats and Conservatives are all Republicans and then they say Libertarians well lets ignore them.
When most times Libertarians are more on track then either of the main parties.
I guess unlike many people at age 18 I, registered to vote Non-Partisan, being party loyal to me seemed stupid as parties are not loyal to me, why would I ever be loyal to them. And there are hard core Party goers that are lost in anger and bitterness. in my opinion with blinders on unaware they are more like the other side then they will ever know because their party tells them otherwise. Its with this same Anger and bitterness Oregon Gun Lobbies operate under, and thats not who most gun owner are yet the lobbies work to tell you yes you are. I find it funny as well when topics like this people jump up and say not fair I'm picking on lobbies. Lobbies are just non-paid politicians, they operate the exact same way with same set of rules and conduct. This not and insult, its how the operate.
Yet other states, unlike Oregon do work across parties and do talk with their members of other parties, Oregon nope. In hind sight I wish i could have changed how this all worked out.

Last Edited:
If I had it my way, there would be no party.
Parties build separation and work damn hard at it and hire their lap dogs the Lobbyist to make sure we stay persuaded in their views.
There was a reason I was a non-partisan voter since I was 18, it was because I didn't trust The Man, and say political parties are The Mans management team. The more I think about Unity the more I think why is it we have to have unity.?
Why do we have to break party lines to even talk, its how they teach us that the other side is the devil and to have a discussion is evil and bad. They don't want sides getting along cause well.............. then we wouldn't have sides.

I have to believe that free men and women want all things free for all men and women too.
But no, we have politicians telling us we must think different.
I don't care who is gay, and pretty sure no liberal cares if I go to church, yet we are taught build divides and I am tired of it.
Too Bad ...... MLK died as I was growing up he seemed like a man with ideas that could end this separation of us.

Op, no.

Imo the current parties, Republicans/NRA/ect need to evolve and gather new voters. Obvious statement, right? Well it's not being done.

If I was a politician I know I would be doing a great job if I was pissing off Democrats and Republicans. I would try to convert as many gay voters as I can. I look at how the progressives have infected society as a good model. I would do the same to them. Except I would promote unheard freedom. I would completely get rid of all laws that would demonize gays in anyway. Medical/marriage/ect. I would give public schools the money they need. I would stand by typical liberal social issues. It doesn't matter what my own opinion is...if they wanted all those things then they would have to vote for a guy who would add legislation to make sure our guns were safe and I'd dispand the ATF. Then I would probably get assassinated...then all you guys would have to creat conspiracy threads about it.

@DuneHopper, forgive me, i only read half of the OP but by the time i got there my mind was made up...
NO, firearm lobbyists shouldnt be biased. they should focus on only preserving the rights of ALL lawful AMERICANS no matter what political party they descend from.

"shall not be infringed" is completely cut and dry if someone were to ask me... infact, every American should be vigilant on preserving ALL OF our rights no matter their "feelings" because IMO when the govt starts infringing, it aint gonna stop. it'll be one after another until we are controlled by a dictator and TOLD what we are allowed to do, say, possess, where we can and cant spend our hard earned money...if we have any after their cut, heck we wont even know when someone might be doing a search of our homes... hell, at that rate it may not even be up to us to vote anymore. geeze, this could go on and on and on....

without 2A no others are possible.

this "utopia" that some may be pushing towards is a fallacy. it will be a rude awakening to what true govt control really is. we CANNOT let them get out of control. that is why 2A exists.

i am proud to say that Donald Trump is my president. i trully believe he wants best for ALL Americans.

maybe im crazy, way far out there and dont know what im talking about? maybe im just one of those "extremists"

:eek:

ok im done. sorry y'all.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class