JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A: never draw on a drawn gun.
B: vehicle is primary means of escape if you are in it. Doesn't it go something like avoid, escape, fight?
C: if option B is not possible see option D
D: fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to the ark and it's starting to rain.

Right?

If I can escape the situation, that is EXACTLY what I am going to do. No reason to participate in a gunfight unless I have NO other choice.
Glad your co-workers were not harmed. I hope they catch the SOB and put him away for a long time.

It was weird. I had about 150 miles on the car, and am used to well handling cars, and this was a very well handling car, and I had worked it out pretty good to that point. As I shoved it into reverse, it really came back to me, put the left hand across the wheel and down, spun it back and then get off it and into drive and down on the gas. It is not easy on a car, this was a very low mileage rental, and if they had an OBD reader on it I never heard about it, or my other 100 mph bursts on it over on Route 66.

I worked on that move about 6 times in an 86 Nova police car out at PIR until we got it right. We were working on evasion moves for EMS vehicles and they threw that one it for us. Glad I learned it.

I know its not our job as CHL holders to play the role of police but man, i would be hard pressed not fireback. i really dont know what i would have done. if i was with them, i would have had my gun... i just dont know.

When in doubt DON'T, is a safe action, if you are that unsure of the situation, you are likely better off running away as fast as you can if possible, or at the minimum get behind a wall , tree , car or something solid. If you have a cell phone 911 and pay attention to detail, that's what will help cops do their job better. Descriptions and license plates and directions of travel, are all very important!
What were they wearing, facial hair, build, color, height, take as many notes as possible either on paper or mental. Paper is better if you have it! We can easily forget details when under stress. Forget being Rambo that will either get you shot or arrested or both, and possibly pushing up Daisies. You aren't the law so don't think you can do what they do.
You don't have the training or the backing of your department if you screw up, and chances are being untrained that you will! Keep your weapon in your holster unless it is a matter of life or death perpetrated by the bad guy, upon yourself or an innocent unable to defend themselves. That is the only legal time you can shoot, and having your gun out and waving it around could get YOU shot by the very police or other good guys who are as excited and stressed as you are.
Think it thru now and if it ever (god Forbid) goes down you will know where your limitations and responsibilities lie.
When in doubt as to what you can or can't do first go to the laws. At the very least pick the brain of your firearms instructor.
If he's another Rambo keep looking till you find a responsible one who knows the law.
If you are down in the S/W part of OR, a very good one is Rex Umsted in Cave Junction. PM me for his phone number if you are interested. Often his cards are available at Fox Firearms in GP, or at the Sportsman's Park, at the counter in IV Guns in CJ. He is very good at what he does and he knows what he's talking about, and loves to teach. And he's a great guy, but don't tell him I said so. LOL
No he doesn't give me a kick back so you don't even have to mention my name.
Ask him about follow up instruction. :)
Gabby

LOL the SMILEYS.

yeah for sure. they did the right thing by retreating. mixed opinions here at work. 6 to one half dozen the other. one guy said he woulda fired back as there was an immediate threat on his life but then again... they were able to retreat and the guy didnt pursue them after he shot

Ahahahahahaha Ahhahahahaha!
Gabby

It was weird. I had about 150 miles on the car, and am used to well handling cars, and this was a very well handling car, and I had worked it out pretty good to that point. As I shoved it into reverse, it really came back to me, put the left hand across the wheel and down, spun it back and then get off it and into drive and down on the gas. It is not easy on a car, this was a very low mileage rental, and if they had an OBD reader on it I never heard about it, or my other 100 mph bursts on it over on Route 66.

I worked on that move about 6 times in an 86 Nova police car out at PIR until we got it right. We were working on evasion moves for EMS vehicles and they threw that one it for us. Glad I learned it.
I drove a retired '78 or so Nova police car occasionally for a couple of years (I've never been a LEO, just to be clear). Great car, strong V8 and great suspension. Handled a lot better than other Novas I've driven. The '86 though, yuck. Weren't they 4 cylinders? Horrible little car. Are you sure it wasn't a Caprice? I'm betting it would be this
ts030-vi.jpg
not this
chevrolet-nova-37.jpg
right?

Yeah, I got my years wrong. I took the course in 86, it was in one of those 78 or so Novas that Chevy got the police contracts on. 350 cid, a bit choked down, but a pretty good car with the police suspension on it. They were a bit tired when they got to training use, but seemed to hold up to the trashing pretty good.

78 nova.jpg

If you're in Oregon or Washington you must retreat if possible these ARE NOT STAND YOUR GROUND STATES if there is a way for you to retreat you must use it even if your in your house if bad guy comes in front door and you have a back door you must do everything possible to get out the back door and not engage said bad guy THANKS WASHINGTON AND OREGON DEMOCRATS FOR YOUR CONCERN FOR ARE SAFETY

But if the first engagement was on the streets and your friends where able to escape and exit said street and say go to a parking lot and bad guys follow them and engage them again well IT'S ON LIKE DONKY KONG STAND YOUR GROUND AND DEFEND YOUR SELF

Today, two of my coworkers were coming back from lunch when a man in a car brandishing a revolver then pointed at them and fired for no apparent reason.

luckily, they werent hit and neither was the vehicle (i pray no one in the area caught the bullet.)

My coworker called 911, described the vehicle and didnt get a license plate as they were in such panic to get the F out of there.

next thing i know, both of them come back to work and are all shaken up, on and off the phone with police. eventually, the guys car was found but he is still at large.

Neither of them had their carry weapons with them though, we are allowed to have them at work. i told them "this is the reason i carry. you never know what to expect"

IMO, its probably best that they didnt/ were unable to fire back due to the fact that they had a way to escape.

My question is(and i know this is the internet and legal advice is taken with a grain of salt)would DGU be justified in this situation as described? what if they had there been no means of escaping? IE: stuck between two cars in traffic?

the way i see it is a catch 22... they could have stopped the threat but risk jail time/ forfeiture of rights, countless court appearances...yadayada... but atleast still be alive.

on the other hand,that guy was near a school full of kids and by the time he was apprehended he could have shot and killed innocent people.

What say you NWFA?

i pray this guy wasnt legal to carry/own guns. just more fuel to the fire

If stuck in traffic or something I'd say shoot back.

Otherwise it's going to look like a road rage incident where your buddy's decided not to deescalate the situation unless they had a few witnesses.

Glad they are ok! What a way to end lunch:eek:...

If you're in Oregon or Washington you must retreat if possible these ARE NOT STAND YOUR GROUND STATES if there is a way for you to retreat you must use it even if your in your house if bad guy comes in front door and you have a back door you must do everything possible to get out the back door and not engage said bad guy THANKS WASHINGTON AND OREGON DEMOCRATS FOR YOUR CONCERN FOR ARE SAFETY

WA has a set precedence for standing your ground and I believe OR does as well even if it's not a law.

I for one will not be retreating if my home is invaded...

Some one takes a shot at me in a car/truck, I have an additional option, My Rig as a defensive weapon! Put a fender in the bad dudes ride and hammer down on the loud pedal, then back up and do it again, or if possible boogy out of there. I would like to think my reaction would be to bug the eff out, but depending on circumstances, knowing my ride could serve to block the shooter or be used to ram him gives one one more tool in the tool box!

Yes it is if you can leave then leave if you can't get out then fight but you will have to explain why you couldn't leave basically your guilty until you can prove yourself innocent

Don't shoot the bad guy in the back when he's running out if your house 8 year's in Oregon state Penn for voluntary manslaughter

Stand your ground is where you have the right to not retreat, not shoot someone fleeing from you.

I'm not looking for that kind of trouble - a running thief isn't a threat too me.

Little tip for those that don't know this when in traffic at stop light stop so you can see the back tires of the car in front of you touch the ground in any car or truck if you can see the back tires of the car in front of you you should have enough room to turn your wheels and go right or left don't get boxed in

WA has a set precedence for standing your ground and I believe OR does as well even if it's not a law.

I for one will not be retreating if my home is invaded...
yep. someone will be catching either really really quiet 180gr golden sabers or really really quiet 208gr BTHPs while coming into my home and if its at night they'll be blinded by my streamlight as well.

(as if the situation plays out like i envision it. it never does tho. just sayin)

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews