JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Today, two of my coworkers were coming back from lunch when a man in a car brandishing a revolver then pointed at them and fired for no apparent reason.

luckily, they werent hit and neither was the vehicle (i pray no one in the area caught the bullet.)

My coworker called 911, described the vehicle and didnt get a license plate as they were in such panic to get the F out of there.

next thing i know, both of them come back to work and are all shaken up, on and off the phone with police. eventually, the guys car was found but he is still at large.

Neither of them had their carry weapons with them though, we are allowed to have them at work. i told them "this is the reason i carry. you never know what to expect"

IMO, its probably best that they didnt/ were unable to fire back due to the fact that they had a way to escape.

My question is(and i know this is the internet and legal advice is taken with a grain of salt)would DGU be justified in this situation as described? what if they had there been no means of escaping? IE: stuck between two cars in traffic?

the way i see it is a catch 22... they could have stopped the threat but risk jail time/ forfeiture of rights, countless court appearances...yadayada... but atleast still be alive.

on the other hand,that guy was near a school full of kids and by the time he was apprehended he could have shot and killed innocent people.

What say you NWFA?

i pray this guy wasnt legal to carry/own guns. just more fuel to the fire

Last Edited:
I always carry but if the situation lets me escape without drawing, I will go that route.
Glad to hear that your Coworkers were not hit and could describe the vehicle for the police.

Hopefully they get the message to always carry like you do..

Today, two of my coworkers were coming back from lunch when a man in a car brandishing a revolver then pointed at them and fired for no apparent reason.

luckily, they werent hit and neither was the vehicle (i pray no one in the area caught the bullet.)

As much as I want to say hell yea return fire and kill the SOB for shooting at you I gotta say that having a gun in this situation would probably not help at all.

Based on the bolded parts I am assuming they were driving when this happened. I would reason that having a carry gun at this point would be moot. Because shooting a moving target from a moving target is hard enough. Then justifying that shoot later would be even tougher. They had means to escape and they did. Returning fire would at best be ineffective and at worst could endanger innocent lives.

I know its not our job as CHL holders to play the role of police but man, i would be hard pressed not fireback. i really dont know what i would have done. if i was with them, i would have had my gun... i just dont know.

I know its not our job as CHL holders to play the role of police but man, i would be hard pressed not fireback. i really dont know what i would have done. if i was with them, i would have had my gun... i just dont know.

Retreat. they had the advantage of surprise. They blew their shot. So you retreat to cover. assess the situation, then out maneuver and out flank. :s0004:

OR if you have superior firepower you overwhelm them with suppressing fire and advance on their position.:s0014::s0015::s0106::s0043::s0042:

Retreat. they had the advantage of surprise. They blew their shot. So you retreat to cover. assess the situation, then out maneuver and out flank. :s0004:

OR if you have superior firepower you overwhelm them with suppressing fire and advance on their position.:s0014::s0015::s0106::s0043::s0042:

LOL the SMILEYS.

yeah for sure. they did the right thing by retreating. mixed opinions here at work. 6 to one half dozen the other. one guy said he woulda fired back as there was an immediate threat on his life but then again... they were able to retreat and the guy didnt pursue them after he shot

LOL the SMILEYS.

yeah for sure. they did the right thing by retreating. mixed opinions here at work. 6 to one half dozen the other. one guy said he woulda fired back as there was an immediate threat on his life but then again... they were able to retreat and the guy didnt pursue them after he shot
There are always those who would claim to be billy bada$$ and return fire no matter what. But I sincerely doubt that in a scenario where you're in a car and someone in another car starts shooting unprovoked that you will A) have a chance to return fire B) the accuracy/training to accurately return fire.

Pressing down with my right foot seems faster than drawing a weapon.
Pressing down on the brake and altering course by at least 90 degrees might have been good also as the 'attackers' were most likely far enough ahead to not see them anymore. Regardless returning fire from a moving vehicle to another would in effect be uncontrolled and with the distance increasing would only make matters worse considering other traffic and potential people out in the open. Under the circumstances they did the right thing, are safe and with no legal issues to deal with.

on the other hand,that guy was near a school full of kids and by the time he was apprehended he could have shot and killed innocent people.
Maybe but one thing for sure is we CANNOT predict what 'might' have happened. I would not want to have that as my only defense in court if I had acted on this pretense and someone (or something) got shot instead of the intended targets

LOL the SMILEYS.

Man Keizer is starting to get ruff!
I wasn't there so I can only say if I was not able to drive outta line of fire I would fight back!!!

Shooting from the inside of a car is something I've done plenty of. My old club in Nevada we would use a car in one of the stages. And it was an eye opener for many.

I'm glad to hear your coworkers were not harmed, did they get off work early to go home and change their underwear?

This was just a few hours ago, the guy is still at large, and you're not telling us where? Your location is right around the Keizer/Salem line. Is this where it happened? Helps us out here!

Man Keizer is starting to get ruff!
I wasn't there so I can only say if I was not able to drive outta line of fire I would fight back!!!

Shooting from the inside of a car is something I've done plenty of. My old club in Nevada we would use a car in one of the stages. And it was an eye opener for many.

I'm glad to hear your coworkers were not harmed, did they get off work early to go home and change their underwear?
ya man happened near pine street. on the s.side of the deaf school. my works on the n. side.

I have an interesting "Fight or Flight" process in my brain. I do smart things some of the time, and heroic (STUPID!) things other times.
I'll bet you if I was the driver of that car I would have found a way to get the heck outta Dodge and Pronto!
There's also a likely possibility that if I'd seen something as I was getting away that would have involved other's being attacked, I would have turned around and figgered an attack once I felt I was safe. First things first.

Gut reaction? GTFO!
Moral reaction? Can I keep other people from getting hurt?

Pressing down with my right foot seems faster than drawing a weapon.

This has been talked about a lot on here. In traffic, I do not like center lanes, I want an exit just for this reason. Leave enough room to crank the wheel and get the hell out of there. Shooting back when you have escape options will get you a fast trip to jail and prison shortly there after.

We were in Las Vegas a couple weeks ago for the NASCAR race. Had to leave my guns at home. I went to Gun Garage and bought a shank that looked like a writing pen and 2 cans of pepper spray, and had 2 3 inch folding knives in the checked luggage. Not what I wanted but the best I could do.

We were driving around sightseeing and saw a sign for an estate sale. We went to it, in a so so neighborhood. Leaving it going down the street, undeveloped area on the right and houses on the left, long street probably close to a mile long with no intersecting streets.

A Ford Expedition was coming towards us. 3 people in it, with the rear passenger sitting right in the center. The Expedition started veering directly towards us crossing the center line. I should have also mentioned we had a Ford Mustang convertible as our rental car. I told the wife to hang on.

I checked up on the brakes real hard from 35 mph, slammed it in reverse and floored it. Went backward about 50 yards and whipped the wheel , spun it around dropped in drive and hit the gas. I was doing 100 mph the other way in less than 10 seconds, leaving the Expedition in a cloud of tire smoke. I slowed a bit ( 50) for the corner on the arterial,and just keep it nailed. I hit 100 again, got out of it and took another turn and pretty much sure I was clear. That Expedition was not going to keep up with that Mustang.

I was trained on the evasion move about 30 years ago in Portland Police's pursuit school. I had only done it once before in my own Mustang, and yet it came back to me. I have no idea what their intentions were, but they put me in a situation where I had to react instantly. It may have seemed like a lot, but really we were not that shook up about it and went and got ice cream.

There are so many tactical decisions to make in situations like they were in, and really evasion is the best one. They were basically ambushed and unless you could react in a military fashion with superior firepower and no concern for collateral damage, then running is the best answer.

I would imagine their consternation is from not being able to answer the threat and defend themselves, that is what mine would be in that situation. Live to fight another day.

This has been talked about a lot on here. In traffic, I do not like center lanes, I want an exit just for this reason. Leave enough room to crank the wheel and get the hell out of there. Shooting back when you have escape options will get you a fast trip to jail and prison shortly there after.

We were in Las Vegas a couple weeks ago for the NASCAR race. Had to leave my guns at home. I went to Gun Garage and bought a shank that looked like a writing pen and 2 cans of pepper spray, and had 2 3 inch folding knives in the checked luggage. Not what I wanted but the best I could do.

We were driving around sightseeing and saw a sign for an estate sale. We went to it, in a so so neighborhood. Leaving it going down the street, undeveloped area on the right and houses on the left, long street probably close to a mile long with no intersecting streets.

A Ford Expedition was coming towards us. 3 people in it, with the rear passenger sitting right in the center. The Expedition started veering directly towards us crossing the center line. I should have also mentioned we had a Ford Mustang convertible as our rental car. I told the wife to hang on.

I checked up on the brakes real hard from 35 mph, slammed it in reverse and floored it. Went backward about 50 yards and whipped the wheel , spun it around dropped in drive and hit the gas. I was doing 100 mph the other way in less than 10 seconds, leaving the Expedition in a cloud of tire smoke. I slowed a bit ( 50) for the corner on the arterial,and just keep it nailed. I hit 100 again, got out of it and took another turn and pretty much sure I was clear. That Expedition was not going to keep up with that Mustang.

I was trained on the evasion move about 30 years ago in Portland Police's pursuit school. I had only done it once before in my own Mustang, and yet it came back to me. I have no idea what their intentions were, but they put me in a situation where I had to react instantly. It may have seemed like a lot, but really we were not that shook up about it and went and got ice cream.

There are so many tactical decisions to make in situations like they were in, and really evasion is the best one. They were basically ambushed and unless you could react in a military fashion with superior firepower and no concern for collateral damage, then running is the best answer.

I would imagine their consternation is from not being able to answer the threat and defend themselves, that is what mine would be in that situation. Live to fight another day.
That's a tricky maneuver in an unfamiliar car. Well done.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top