JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you're in Oregon or Washington you must retreat if possible these ARE NOT STAND YOUR GROUND STATES if there is a way for you to retreat you must use it even if your in your house if bad guy comes in front door and you have a back door you must do everything possible to get out the back door and not engage said bad guy THANKS WASHINGTON AND OREGON DEMOCRATS FOR YOUR CONCERN FOR ARE SAFETY

In Washington you do not have to retreat.

I am not sure what I would have done in that situation Rusty but I do know that if I felt confident enough I would engage. That said, I'd feel no shame retreating from a situation that felt wrong.

I know its not our job as CHL holders to play the role of police but man, i would be hard pressed not fireback. i really dont know what i would have done. if i was with them, i would have had my gun... i just dont know.
None of know, until we're there. There's no shame though in looking for a fast exit if you don't have family to protect. At least you would live to talk about it on the forum.
Real life isn't Hollywood. (Sorry Clint...)

I'm glad your co-workers weren't harmed! A scary situation!!!

I'm with the retreating folks! I do not want to get into a running gun battle on a crowded road. What if you nailed a kid?!? Terrible legal consequences aside, how bad would that be? I drive defensively, including stopping with room enough room ahead to maneuver out of my lane, and that's the option I'd take.
I would, however, draw my weapon (and I'd sure as hell have one) or at least clear my holster in case I was pursued, blocked or otherwise held up. If my attacker pursues me, then it's time to choose my ground as quickly as may be, and get to the best cover/fighting position I can spot. At the soonest point in the fray I or my passenger would be calling 911. As in other, the LEO's are here situations, I wouldn't be waving my pistol around and be showing my hands!

Last Edited:
Break contact.
Even better if you can get away and have something between you and the attacker that can act as cover and concealment.
Asses the situation and keep thinking of what to do next.
When reporting to law enforcement , keep your information clear and concise.
Also only report what you see and hear ... not what you think you see or hear.

All of which is very easy for me to say from the comfort of my couch with a cup of coffee and no stress whatsoever....

Glad your friends made it out unhurt and I hope the shooter is caught soon.
Andy

I carry every day, in every place it's not expressly forbidden by law. I consider my gun a last resort and only for the defense of myself and my family, possibly for another person, but that would depend on the circumstances. My rule is to always avoid the gun fight, if other options are available. Cover/conceal, retreat, GTHOOD (Get the hell out of Dodge) - anything to avoid having to confront a baddie. I have training on drawing and firing, from cover/conceal, while moving, etc., but I would hope to never need that training.

I think it was best they bugged out. Could the guy do something to someone else later? Yes, but that's not your job, that's what we have the cops for. Get the best info you can, a good description of the dobad and any vehicle they are using and get the cops on it. They have the resources to pursue a bad guy, we don't. If you can get away and avoid the situation, do so, then as soon as it's safe enough, get the police on the way.

I've had a gun pulled on me five times before I was 20. Twice by the police. Once by a random deranged, but well dressed man and twice by gangbangers. Ain't LA life great? Only once did I have a chance to react. By react I meant be calm and listened to what the man had to say.

If you're in Oregon or Washington you must retreat if possible these ARE NOT STAND YOUR GROUND STATES if there is a way for you to retreat you must use it even if your in your house if bad guy comes in front door and you have a back door you must do everything possible to get out the back door and not engage said bad guy THANKS WASHINGTON AND OREGON DEMOCRATS FOR YOUR CONCERN FOR ARE SAFETY
I think you have your facts wrong there. In Wa you have no duty to retreat,it is a stand your ground state still.

Glad no one was hit!

Wonder if this is the same guy from a few months back who shot at vehicles in S Salem & out towards Dallas?
A week or two before those incidents two of the guys at work were standing out side of the fence having a smoke and a passenger in a passing car fired 4-5 shots down the highway. No oncoming traffic thankfully. County sheriffs deputy came and and got a report. The car description was the same as in the other incidents.

A week or two before those incidents two of the guys at work were standing out side of the fence having a smoke and a passenger in a passing car fired 4-5 shots down the highway. No oncoming traffic thankfully. County sheriffs deputy came and and got a report. The car description was the same as in the other incidents.

Guy(s) still at large, yikes!

[QUOTE="v0lcom13sn0w, post: 1652399,

the way i see it is a catch 22... they could have stopped the threat but risk jail time/ forfeiture of rights, countless court appearances...yadayada... but atleast still be alive.

on the other hand,that guy was near a school full of kids and by the time he was apprehended he could have shot and killed innocent people.

What say you NWFA?

i pray this guy wasnt legal to carry/own guns. just more fuel to the fire[/QUOTE]

A LOT depends on can you show reasonable fear for life. If they were driving then easy to drive, swerve, turn, whatever. If they were siting still and some guy is taking a shot at them it would be no different than if you were standing on the street and someone is shooting at you. The way you feel they would have ended up in jail I have to assume you mean should they have been taking shots at the car as it drove away. In that case NO, NO NO. That is how you end up shooting some innocent. This is VERY simple. If someone is shooting at you you shoot back. If they took a shot at you and are now running away, no.

In Washington you do not have to retreat.

I am not sure what I would have done in that situation Rusty but I do know that if I felt confident enough I would engage. That said, I'd feel no shame retreating from a situation that felt wrong.
Well just did some looking and they had a bill they where trying to get pass in 2013 the retreat bill but I have to do more looking but the one thing I did find was the law has been changed a lot and that WA IS IN A GREY AREA I don't know what that means but grey area don't sound good

Well just did some looking and they had a bill they where trying to get pass in 2013 the retreat bill but I have to do more looking but the one thing I did find was the law has been changed a lot and that WA IS IN A GREY AREA I don't know what that means but grey area don't sound good

Last year, bad guy goes to break into a house in Battleground.

Owner shoots and kills him outside the house.

Sheriff doesn't even take owners gun for evidence and rules it a good shooting.

I'm not personally worried about the stand your ground issue:rolleyes:

OK here is what just found out they tried to change the law in 2013 but I guess it didn't happen BUT WA does have a stand your ground law the grey Area is you can only use reasonable Force what ever that means

I was trying to copy some of the stuff I was reading but I'm too stupid to use my smart phone so if you really want to know you have to look it up but there is a grey area as they call it best bet GET A LAWYER

"I shot until the person was no longer a threat to me"...
This is the problem with the reasonable Force part of the law you wind up in court and some lawyer says he only had a screwdriver you didn't have too shoot him dead and some clown on a jury agrees with him your done

If I recall shooter was single black man in a white car???

I have a good lawyer and have every intention of using that option if I'm ever in that position.

Besides, I'll just ask the prosecuter to hand me a screw driver and then he can decide if it's deadly or not:p. Ok I wouldn't but it reminds me of an old joke...

Prosecuter keeps badgering a witness about his punching of another man and just how hard did he hit him. The witness finally jumps out of his seat and knocks the prosecuter out with one hit. Then looks at the judge and says, "Nowhere near that hard your honor"...:D

This is the problem with the reasonable Force part of the law you wind up in court and some lawyer says he only had a screwdriver you didn't have too shoot him dead and some clown on a jury agrees with him your done
'Reasonable force' was once described as 'The minimum amount of force required to neutralize the threat' which may be unclear to some but there is some rational to it.

if the guy with the screwdriver is a buck twenty soaking wet and you are 190 lbs of rawhide and spring steel then shooting may be ruled as 'excessive' force. If the same guy has a knife and you have already been injured then shooting may be justified. NOW if the attacker is the 190 pounder with a screwdriver and YOU are the 120 pounder then shooting may be considered the minimum. NOW lets say it's a 120 lb woman with a gun and the attacker is a 190 lb beefarillo with NO weapon - shooting may very well be considered the 'minimum amount of force'. This is how a it was explained to me in a LE law class once.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews