JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hoping for some insight, Im wondering what the maximum practical range would be to shoot a turkey with a shotgun?

just a standard pump 12ga hunting shotgun, full choke and will be using either Winchester double X 3inch 1 3/4oz 5shot or Remington Nitro Turkey 3" 1 7/8oz 4shot.

I'm not a shotgun guy nor do I have time to go to a range and pattern the gun,and I kinda suck at turkey hunting so I'm doubtful I will get in close enough to obviously know right away its within range.

Sorry, you gotta pattern. Different loads, wads, velocities and chokes have different ranges.

Wanna play safe: 20y. Actual max range....????

I know I need to pattern to know exactly what my selections produce but I'm hoping I can get a general idea. Maybe I should rephrase my question to what maximum ranges you guys get with what loads and chokes?

It ain't just about how tight your pattern is, its also about WHERE it is. Shooting a turkey gun is more like shooting a rifle than a shotgun which is why a lot of specialized turkey pieces now come with some sort of sight system. Not putting it on paper is akin to going deer hunting without sighting in your rifle.

Somebody who is "not a shotgun guy" is also probably very inconsistent in their gun mount. With just the basic bead and rib on a mark 1 mod 0 full choke shotgun your pattern placement is going to be pretty inconsistent.

You would probably be better off with a modified choke and sticking to 25 yard shots or less. More spread to cover your pointing errors but still enough pattern density to put the bird down.

Last Edited:
It ain't just about how tight your pattern is, its also about WHERE it is. Shooting a turkey gun is more like shooting a rifle than a shotgun which is why a lot of specialized turkey pieces now come with some sort of sight system. Not putting it on paper is akin to going deer hunting without sighting in your rifle.

Somebody who is "not a shotgun guy" is also probably very inconsistent in their gun mount. With just the basic bead and rib on a mark 1 mod 0 full choke shotgun your pattern placement is going to be pretty inconsistent.

well, I have taken it clay shooting several times and do ok for a novice. I know, those aren't turkey loads... I hear what your saying though agree will have to pattern this...

You would probably be better off with a modified choke and sticking to 25 yard shots or less. More spread to cover your pointing errors but still enough pattern density to put the bird down.
thats the kinda tip I was looking for, thanks.

25 to 30 but I would go down on the shot #2 if you're stuck on #4 #5 20yards could stretch it if you know you pattern really good I have hit ducks at 30 or 40 yards with #1 or BB shot but I'm not aiming at a head shot

Hoping for some insight, Im wondering what the maximum practical range would be to shoot a turkey with a shotgun?

just a standard pump 12ga hunting shotgun, full choke and will be using either Winchester double X 3inch 1 3/4oz 5shot or Remington Nitro Turkey 3" 1 7/8oz 4shot.

I'm not a shotgun guy nor do I have time to go to a range and pattern the gun,and I kinda suck at turkey hunting so I'm doubtful I will get in close enough to obviously know right away its within range.
The times in Michigan and Colorado that I have been close enuff to identify a wild turkey, they were un-assin the A O full-speed. I have found a few feathers tho....

Best book ever written about Turkey hunting in Oregon is WESTERN TURKEY HUNTING by Scott Haugen. This book gives any hunter a real good solid foundation on turkey hunting.

Western Turkey Hunting: Strategies For All Levels -

Coverlr.jpg

I certainly learned a lot from reading Scott's book.

Here is a photo of me with my last Turkey. I took it somewhere between 20 to 25 yards. It had actually come closer, but I did not have a clear shot. I also waited until he raised his head, so I could go strictly for a head shot. We found two pellets in his head, and another two in his neck.

Turkey2.jpg

This bird had really impressive breasts. Not a single pellet in any of the meat, due to taking a head shot. It really made for a delicious meal. Wild turkey is quite a challenge to cook, however, as the meat if far leaner than a commercial turkey. So it is easy to overcook it and make the meat come out too dry. However, Scott's book goes over cooking the birds too, and includes recipes created by his wife Tiffany.

Turkey_meat.jpg

Don't ask, don't tell...

:eek:

At least no one here is upset about all of the blood on the log. I posted this on Facebook shortly after the hunt, and a couple of people were shocked by the amount of gore in the pic.

I guess that one needs to clean up blood for photos. I did not think that it was that noticeable. And then I guess hunters should also tell people that the animal they harvested passed away peacefully in its sleep.

This was the photo that people complained about the most:

Turkey22.jpg

I really don't advertise that I am a gun owner or hunter on Facebook. One person even said to me: "You own guns?"

He seemed to be shocked.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class