JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
At least no one here is upset about all of the blood on the log. I posted this on Facebook shortly after the hunt, and a couple of people were shocked by the amount of gore in the pic.

I guess that one needs to clean up blood for photos. I did not think that it was that noticeable. And then I guess hunters should also tell people that the animal they harvested passed away peacefully in its sleep.

This was the photo that people complained about the most:

View attachment 384510

I really don't advertise that I am a gun owner or hunter on Facebook. One person even said to me: "You own guns?"

He seemed to be shocked.

That's some great photos, Lance! I'd hardly call a little tiny bit of blood on the side of a log "gore", you should have posted pictures of the cleaning process.

:eek:

When did the USA become such a vagnation? :rolleyes:

Some good information or chokes and ranges ... thank you.
I wish we could hunt turkeys here in Washington with a muzzle loading rifle ... I'd love to do that.
In the meantime I do have some smoothbore muzzle loaders I can use.
Andy

When I hunted deer with my slug barrel on my 1100 using standard remington green slugs we could keep them in a one gallon plastic milk jug at 115 yards or so.
Don't know if I could do that today.

When I hunted deer with my slug barrel on my 1100 using standard remington green slugs we could keep them in a one gallon plastic milk jug at 115 yards or so.
Don't know if I could do that today.

We are talking turkeys:p

I've been meaning to see what I can do with slugs and a smooth bore but always get distracted:D.

I need a new shotgun...:rolleyes:

At least no one here is upset about all of the blood on the log. I posted this on Facebook shortly after the hunt, and a couple of people were shocked by the amount of gore in the pic.

I guess that one needs to clean up blood for photos. I did not think that it was that noticeable. And then I guess hunters should also tell people that the animal they harvested passed away peacefully in its sleep.

This was the photo that people complained about the most:

View attachment 384510

I really don't advertise that I am a gun owner or hunter on Facebook. One person even said to me: "You own guns?"

He seemed to be shocked.

I see Lance but where is the crazy looking guy? :)

You should have told them the turkey was taking a nap, and had a nose bleed. The turkey also owns the shotgun, which is made out of moss.

They wouldn't know any better.

Ithaca Deerslayer was the best smoothbore slug gun when I was hunting the MA woods.
26" IC and factory rifle sights. They were legendary.
The ol' man's 1100 factory slug gun was no match for the Ithaca.

We agreed that the 1100 (18-1/2") was good for about 75 yards and the Ithaca could be stretched to 125.

Rifled barrels were not legal.

Last Edited:
Ithaca Deerslayer was the best smoothbore slug gun when I was hunting the MA woods.
26" IC and factory rifle sights. They were legendary.
The ol' man's 1100 factory slug gun was no match for the Ithaca.

We agreed that the 1100 (18-1/2") was good for about 75 yards and the Ithaca could be stretched to 125.

Rifled barrels were not legal.
Well we could reliably hit a milk jug three out of three times with my remington 1100 at 115 yards. I still.have the gun but probably haven't shot it in the last seven years. Back then I used it for hunting everything ducks pheasants squirrel quail you name it back there we probably hunted with our shotguns other than for a 22 it was the only gun I shot. Oh yes used it for 4h as well.i knew that gun well.

Apparently in the 19th century a muzzleloading shotgun firing wire shot cartridges, such as Eley's Patent Wire Cartridges, have our modern cartridges beat all to he!! as far as range and effectiveness go. These shells proved their effectiveness prior to the ACW and continued to be sold until about 1918.

I have fired my own muzzleloading shotguns with the shot charge protected from the barrel by paper or drill cloth for an improvement in patterns and might have a go at making one of these historically correct wire cartridges myself but DO NOT advise anybody else to try it.

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

Eley%20Cartridge.jpg

Easy Lance.......Apparently you don't get the joke. I apologize if I offended you. :cool: BMCM!!!

In what Universe is it considered "funny" to call someone crazy looking?

If you did not notice, I very diplomatically sidestepped the comment and ignored it the first time that it was said here in this thread. I thought that was the best way to respond. But, for some strange, and unfathomable reason, you felt compelled to chime in and push this, and repeat the exact same comment a second time.

I'm sorry, but normal people do not feel compelled to ridicule and tease others.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top