JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A BGC is income, if you charge $15 per check and it only takes a few min, that is a pretty good investment right then and in the future when that customer returns with more business for you! If you turn away business, that's not a very good sign of your business sense, and I would wonder what else you are lazy about! In this day and age of hyper competition for a small amount of business in a given day, I would think every dollar you take in would surely help keep your doors open, and that may give you the edge over others!
A LOT, and I do mean a lot of small business fail every year. When one does the owners will always blame something. One thing that never gets blamed is the face in the mirror. With the net as it is now failing gets a lot easier. Give yourself a bad name and it spreads VERY fast. It is the owners choice to run his shop any way they want. I am VERY pro people putting the word out on them both good and bad. When one fails by their poor choice I feel nothing for them.

A BGC is income, if you charge $15 per check and it only takes a few min, that is a pretty good investment right then and in the future when that customer returns with more business for you! If you turn away business, that's not a very good sign of your business sense, and I would wonder what else you are lazy about! In this day and age of hyper competition for a small amount of business in a given day, I would think every dollar you take in would surely help keep your doors open, and that may give you the edge over others!

Agree Ura-ki...it's all about profitability and return business, which in turn creates more profitability. A transfer is probably a pain, but I think it's important to build a strong and reoccurring client base. I love supporting local business and always remember when someone does me a solid. It's called loyalty...if you're loyal to me, I'll surely show my loyalty back two fold.

I hate to tell you, but by the time I file all the paperwork and run the check, I'm into bgc's anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour. It isn't a few minutes.

That's fine and it's your choice to decline to do these for people if you wish. People who want it done will then take their business to someone else who wants it. It's all a matter of free choice. If a shop can make it don't matter to me how they do things or treat people. I have always thought ALL business should be able to run like this. Free to serve who they want how they want. The market should be the only thing that controls who makes it and who does not.

The real issues here isn't if a dealer will or won't do private transfers, it should be about the damn demonkrats who forced this crap on us in the name of "common sense" gun regulation. Makes me want to puke!:mad:

Just a thought, maybe we should all try really hard to see if we can get these "bubblegum" bgc's overturned? Save the shop owner time and us buyers some $. Again, just a thought.

I will not get dragged into another debate, I will not get dragged into another debate, I will not get dragged into another debate...

Breath, breath, breath.

Seriously, having owned a gun shop, there are certain realities. Some of them suck. In one man shops, doing transfers is a pain. Good amount of time for little return. I too considered it a service, so I did it, and I still do. But it's a pain. Sometimes people get talking on here like the realities of them as a customer are the only that should be considered. Every time I promise I won't comment, every time I do. But I don't respond.
That being said, my brother has a home based FFL in Banks, and his new policy on transfers is: once you pay for three ($15+$10 OSP), the rest are free (just pay the $10 OSP).

I don't know the how's or why's that the LGS won't do P2P transfers, and that is their prerogative. More power to 'em. My attitude is, "move along."
When I relocated to the Beaverton area, I called around ~8 stores and found three that didn't do transfers, three that offered to rape you with the transfer, and two that were reasonable. Guess who gets my business.
I don't think the shop owner was trying to do anything shady when he suggested you come back when the Glunks were on sale - any good business owner would not turn away a sale without a solid reason.

I hate to tell you, but by the time I file all the paperwork and run the check, I'm into bgc's anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour. It isn't a few minutes.

Seems kind of funny because when I have bought guns at gun shows it took less than 15-20 min after I turned the 4473 form over to them I was buyng the gun. And there was only 3 people working the gunshow table waiting on customers and calling in background checks and yes they were very busy.

It is the frigging bureaucracy that fouls up for everyone. Most people wouldn't knowingly transfer a firearm to a "prohibited person". It is a matter of personal honor.

Damned bureaucrats! All they do is convolute the lives of people to justify their own existence.

Seems kind of funny because when I have bought guns at gun shows it took less than 15-20 min after I turned the 4473 form over to them I was buyng the gun. And there was only 3 people working the gunshow table waiting on customers and calling in background checks and yes they were very busy.

Sure. About 20-30 minutes while the customer is there, assuming the customer has done the paperwork before and they don't have to read every single question or make corrections.
But then when the deal is done, I have to finish filling out the dealer portion, make it for filing, if it's a transfer from an internet buy, I have to log it into my book, then log it out, then file the form.

Again, and this is not meant as an insult, but there is more to it than just what the customer sees.

Every time I get dragged into these things. I wish you all luck, I will continue to take care of the few customers that followed from my shop to my kitchen table. No more of this for me!

:s0013:

Sold a gun to a friend and was going to transfer it at LGS. I was also going to buy a new G40. They told me they don't do private transfers, but are having a Glock sale the end of the month with free schit when you buy a gun. I was not happy and will be damned if I ever go there again. It sucks too, because I've bought a number of guns from them and always liked going there. It's their business and they can do as they please.

Drive to Coos County??

Coos Bay voters approve Second Amendment ordinance

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany