JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sold a gun to a friend and was going to transfer it at LGS. I was also going to buy a new G40. They told me they don't do private transfers, but are having a Glock sale the end of the month with free schit when you buy a gun. I was not happy and will be damned if I ever go there again. It sucks too, because I've bought a number of guns from them and always liked going there. It's their business and they can do as they please.

Sounds like they're slitting the proverbial throats. And pressured sales tactics.
Give them time, they'll figure things out on their own recognizance.

Sold a gun to a friend and was going to transfer it at LGS. I was also going to buy a new G40. They told me they don't do private transfers, but are having a Glock sale the end of the month with free schit when you buy a gun. I was not happy and will be damned if I ever go there again. It sucks too, because I've bought a number of guns from them and always liked going there. It's their business and they can do as they please.
Good on you for not biting on the Glock sale bullschitt.
There are plenty of shops that will do private transfers.
I'd put the shop name up so others won't waste their time.

Probably not much money in it for them for the amount of hassles but now that it's the only way to transfer a gun they either need to suck it up and be competitive or loose their repeat business.

And it gets traffic in the store and builds a positive reputation.
Probably not much money in it for them for the amount of hassles but now that it's the only way to transfer a gun they either need to suck it up and be competitive or loose their repeat business.
I had one shop owner tell me that it is a service that they can provide the shooting community, so they do it.
And it gets more traffic in the store and helps build a positive reputation for the shop.

Decent prices get my business. I go out of my way to patronize good players, and I spread the word.

Same philosophy works against chronic douchewagons. Name names and spread the news.

When I was looking for a good deal on my Colt Defender, I went to a local gun shop and carefully asked if they would do transfers from private parties as well as internet sellers. I say "carefully" because I have a business myself, and though I don't take offense when someone asks me a stupid question, not every business owner is the same. They said they'd be fine with any kind of transfer.

I then said I'd like them to give me a price and rough delivery time-frame for the pistol if I ordered it through them. They gave me a price just $15 more than the internet seller and in the same time frame for delivery, so I went ahead and ordered it from them. Helping a local small business is always a good idea, in my book.

It worked out pretty well because I gave them a chance to compete with the online sellers. Strategically, creating the impression I was strongly inclined to buy online put them in a position to work on giving me a very competitive deal.

It was all very pleasant and low-key, and because of that I'll be buying from them again in the future.

I will not get dragged into another debate, I will not get dragged into another debate, I will not get dragged into another debate...

Breath, breath, breath.

Seriously, having owned a gun shop, there are certain realities. Some of them suck. In one man shops, doing transfers is a pain. Good amount of time for little return. I too considered it a service, so I did it, and I still do. But it's a pain. Sometimes people get talking on here like the realities of them as a customer are the only that should be considered. Every time I promise I won't comment, every time I do. But I don't respond.

In the business world, diplomacy goes a long way (evidently, sigmadog realizes this and acts accordingly).

I certainly hope that the dealer in question revises his practices to serve his patrons and succeed where others fail.

They should have spoken to the Oregon legislature along with other gun shops in the state about SB941, but during the entire ordeal they were all surprisingly silent.

When I was looking for a good deal on my Colt Defender, I went to a local gun shop and carefully asked if they would do transfers from private parties as well as internet sellers. I say "carefully" because I have a business myself, and though I don't take offense when someone asks me a stupid question, not every business owner is the same. They said they'd be fine with any kind of transfer.

I then said I'd like them to give me a price and rough delivery time-frame for the pistol if I ordered it through them. They gave me a price just $15 more than the internet seller and in the same time frame for delivery, so I went ahead and ordered it from them. Helping a local small business is always a good idea, in my book.

It worked out pretty well because I gave them a chance to compete with the online sellers. Strategically, creating the impression I was strongly inclined to buy online put them in a position to work on giving me a very competitive deal.

It was all very pleasant and low-key, and because of that I'll be buying from them again in the future.
Solid work.

A BGC is income, if you charge $15 per check and it only takes a few min, that is a pretty good investment right then and in the future when that customer returns with more business for you! If you turn away business, that's not a very good sign of your business sense, and I would wonder what else you are lazy about! In this day and age of hyper competition for a small amount of business in a given day, I would think every dollar you take in would surely help keep your doors open, and that may give you the edge over others!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top