JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was not happy and will be damned if I ever go there again.

That and telling your friends is the right thing to do. When I moved to a very small town in Oregon, I thought things would be different. They were. I bought a gun from my best friend and wanted him to send it to me. I went to the closest LGS as a new resident. He told me he was too busy getting ready for a gun show and just didn't have the time. All I wanted was his info so my buddy could mail it. Okay thanks, never stepped foot in there again.

Now I've been here long enough to know where to go and where I'll be welcomed. But there are a few store owners along my journey that will never see a dime from me.

Think about this guys... requiring BGC for private transfers is an illegal law, and it should have been stricken but no one's had the spine to go at it properly. I've maintained since BloomingIdiotBurg was sending his money to stump for this thing that FFL's are not REQUIRED to run BGC for any gun they are not selling out of their own inventory. It is extra paperwork, and somewhat of a liability. and they don't have to. I tried to get folks to listen and petition their gun shops to refuse to do them. Nevada's Attourney General has done that.... said no Nevada shop MUST run them. then FBI said they won't spend the money to run private BGC for face to face sales from Nevada FFL's. That's what SHOULD have happened here. If NO FFL would run them, what would the state do? Nothing they can do. That law was illegal in that it REQUIRED a federal level official (the FFL) to perform an action he is not REQUIRED to perform. Among half a dozen other things.

I wish every FFL in Wasnington and Oregon would do what Nevada's FFL's have done... simply say MAKE ME!!!! Ya CAIN'T.

We'd have those stupid laws nullified.

I agree with what you are saying but the next time the gun shops business license comes up for renewal I am sure the state would in some way make it very uncomfortable for the owners if they refused to do BGC. They can't make you directly but they are going to twist your arm every which way to make you comply. It sucks but to challenge them takes money(and a lot of it, something quite a few gun owners don't get or refuse to acknowledge) to either get legal redress or legislative action. It is especially hard if you have no income due to the fact they have refused to issue you a business license for other reasons because you refused to do private BGC's. Never underestimate the enemy.

Most tire shops will not mount used tires brought in by customers either.......just not worth the liability. To me, a 20.00 transaction that takes 30 min and opens you up to scrutiny by the ATF just isn't worth it. If you are a regular customer, that would help but can't blame them for conserving there counter time and liability for better customers.

A LOT, and I do mean a lot of small business fail every year. When one does the owners will always blame something. One thing that never gets blamed is the face in the mirror. With the net as it is now failing gets a lot easier. Give yourself a bad name and it spreads VERY fast. It is the owners choice to run his shop any way they want. I am VERY pro people putting the word out on them both good and bad. When one fails by their poor choice I feel nothing for them.

Having sat there in his small shop as my local transfer guy has performed a few dozen NICS checks for guns I had shipped to him, I can assure you the $25 he charged was more a courtesy to me, a friend and faithful customer (I've bought not a few out of his inventory as well, some really sweet ones) than a profit centre. He always had to set aside other paying work to spend the time. Paperwork for Fed and State and County (handguns, the stinking White Form in triplicate), In and Oot of his record book, 4473 form, inspecting and verifying the manufacturer, model, calibre, serial number, (NEVER trust the paperwork that comes with the gun.... if there is an error or anomaly, it is HIS FFL hanging ih the balance, and BATF seem to delight in shutting down small dealers for meaningless glitches in the paperwork. THEN pick up the phone and hope NICS are not swamped. He could have earned twice that working on the re-stock of that fine old Sako Finnbear on his bench...... so, NO, running NICS checks is NOT profitable. Every FFL should refuse to do them for private sales, forcing the stupid laws to be unenforceable.. just like in Nevada. FBI refuses to take them, State AtG has declared the law unenforceable, FFL's refuse to even try to do them. Sorry BloomingIdiotBurg, you're a loser.

How is this different than an in-store transfer, besides a larger profit margin?
a firearm in an FFLs inventory is already there, its history known, so no liability. Further, he can trust his own previous inspections and number verification. And, the time incumbrance for the BGC is folded into his profit margin on the merchandise. I'm in business myself (not firearms, I considered it and dedided no thanks) and I count every form of cost of good sold.. including the time I have invested from first receiving the new goods to dumping them down the chute at the local Post Office, or waiting in line at UPS Store to get it scanned in and get the receipt. Any businessman who fails to account for every snippet of time, expense, etc, will fail.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews