JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
LOTHIAN, Md. (WJZ)—Prank gone wrong. A Virginia man is charged with second-degree assault and reckless endangerment after police say he shot a man in lower torso with what he believed was a BB gun.

It happened just before 4 a.m. Wednesday in a home in 1300 block of Burton River Road in Lothian, Anne Arundel County.

The victim, a 21-year-old male from Edgewater, was asleep when 22-year-old Patrick Stapleton, of Ashland, Va., attempted to pull a prank.

Police say Stapleton grabbed a .40 caliber handgun, which he believed was a BB gun, and fired one round at the victim while he slept, striking him in the buttocks area.

The handgun is legally owned by the homeowner’s son, who was not determined to be involved in the shooting.

The actual homeowner was not present during the incident.

The victim remains at Prince George’s Hospital Center, where he is being treated for non-life threatening injuries.

The investigation is ongoing.

Man Mistakes Real Gun For BB Pistol, Shoots Friend In Buttocks Area « CBS Baltimore

Just proves: With friends like this you don't need enemies!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

What a dumb a$$ wouldnt the bore alone on a .40 cal. give you a hint that it wasnt a BB gun?. It is ALWAYS a good idea to pick up a strange gun and shoot your friend in the a$$ with it assuming it is a BB gun. People are sooooo friggin stupid, how the hell are we suppose to keep our gun rights when idiots like this are allowed to live and pro create? Sh!t like this just feeds into the antis agenda. sometimes it feels like a losing battle:s0054:

4am, im going to guess a pack of drunk 20somethings acting like idiots. Hopefully a trip to prison will do some good, or atleast get him a boyfriend.

Anyone I know that enters in my home and happens to know where my weapons are located which are not in the safes, its because I trust them with their, and my life and they know better. Not one of my friends need ask me if the knife I hand them is sharp either.

Whatever happened to the golden rule of firearms? Ignorance isn't bliss when it comes to a bullet.

If you do not want to lock it up, that is fine as long as you keep a loaded firearm under your control at all times.

The handgun is legally owned by the homeowner's son, who was not determined to be involved in the shooting.

The owner of the pistol did not keep in on his persons, in a safe or in a secure hiding spot, an idiot got a hold of it, and a bad thing happened.

If you do not want to lock it up, that is fine as long as you keep a loaded firearm under your control at all times.

The owner of the pistol did not keep in on his persons, in a safe or in a secure hiding spot, an idiot got a hold of it, and a bad thing happened.

Exactly this.

Firearms should be under direct control, "each and every time, without fail, no exceptions". That means on your person, or locked up. Period.

Thats fine for you, but don't start preaching to me that any weapon thats not exactly on my person should be under lock and key, that's precisely the rhetoric and mind set that will get you killed. There are two places in my home that hold "hot" weapons when I'm not home to defend my wife, and she's very aware and capable of reaching and using them. As far as someone stumbling across them unaware, fat chance. My so called "hiding" spots are safe and secure. You may find and extricate my safe, but the chance of someone finding the go to arms are slim to none.
So I need you to promise me and all you know this, when you go to sleep at night and you can't sleep because it's on your person, in the small of your back, hip or under your shoulder and under your direct control,, go and lock it up each and every time without fail, no exceptions, period. When it God forbid is needed, I can only hope you have enough time and are awake and clear headed enough to unlock and open the device that holds the thing you may be depending upon to defend you and your loved ones with.

I mean no offence, I'm just pointing out the fact that we may see things differently.
Stay well.
John.

You can teach a four year old to never touch a gun and to go get an adult.
You can't teach a drunken college idiot a darned thing! I feel so sad for the little boy who shot his dad. For dad? Not so much.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top