JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just thought I'd toss out what I use to shoot my rifles.
First all of the following applies only to traditional muzzleloading rifles.
Inlines or modern muzzleloaders just ain't my thing.
No offense intended.

I like to shoot as close as I can to the way Daniel Boone or Kit Carson shot.
What this means is from the bag , no shooting box full of gear or stands to help me load etc ...

I have a bag.( DUH! ) Usually this is a handmade bag from leather.
My powder horn is attached to the bag straps. Nothing is worse than going out shooting and bringing your bag , but forgetting your horn.
Inside my bag I'll carry :
A bullet ( ball ) bag
A powder measure
Shooting patches in a small bag
A cap container ( or spare flints )
A small tool bag w/ a nipple wrench , screwdriver , worm and ball puller.
A vent pick if using a flintlock
If hunting I'll also carry a small tin of bear grease or deer tallow for patch lube.
Warning! 20th century alert! I also have a ball starter. I keep this handy in case of when using store bought round balls , one outfits .530 is closer to .533 and is tough to start down the bore.
I have found over the years that when using store bought round balls , they can vary between companies in size for the same caliber.
And that's it.
You do not need a ton of gear to shoot your gun from the bag.
Pictured is my flintlock shooting bag.
Brain tan elk , buffalo horn powder horn and all the gear needed to shoot round ball from my trade gun.
Andy
213987-b9e2efc3e08b0b818955ef2fbdcce5b1.jpg

Cool bag Andy :) If we were closer, I'd love to spend a day with you and learn some of what you know about BP guns - I'd love to see your collection too. If anything ever brings you down to the PDX area, let us know. I can't remember the last time I was up your way.

Will do etrain.
My in-laws are in the Portland area so we visit fairly often ... might not be able to bring the whole collection for a family visit , but always to happy to share some favorites. :)
What's the point knowing something if you can't pass it on?
Andy

Will do etrain.
My in-laws are in the Portland area so we visit fairly often ... might not be able to bring the whole collection for a family visit , but always to happy to share some favorites. :)
What's the point knowing something if you can't pass it on?
Andy

I was putting in some volunteer time at my range last weekend, helping with the hunter sight-in event. Far on the other side of the line, I saw a big cloud of white smoke pop out in front of the line and recognized we had a BP shooter on the line. Unfortunately, I was on the far opposite end helping a gun with a .30-06 and couldn't get down there before he left. It would have been fun to have watched him do his thing.

But yeah, if you have some spare time some day when you're down this way, I'd love to get some time working with an experienced BP shooter, even if you don't have your collection on hand. My range is available for BP, and I expect a number of NWFA folks would like to join you as well.

Yep! I like where I live , but it is a bit far from everybody on here ... LOL!
Maybe at one of the clean up days or if we have another northwestfireams get together , I'll be able to show up and bring some toys ...
Andy

Isn't that called a "possibles" bag?
Well I have found that if you want to start a "discussion" around a campfire at rendezvous , that is one of the "hot" questions to ask.

I call it a shooting bag , 'cause it carries all my shooting gear. It was also known in the 19th century as a "bullet bag"
( pouch ) or shooting bag.
A possibles bag ( to me ) holds all of your other gear things like: moulds , flint and steel , extra socks etc ...

But all three terms were used in the 18th and 19th centuries interchangeably so call it what you like , just not a purse ! LOL :)
Well I'm not gona tell this guy ''I like your purse''. Are you? :s0002:
Andy

Well I have found that if you want to start a "discussion" around a campfire at rendezvous , that is one of the "hot" questions to ask.

I call it a shooting bag , 'cause it carries all my shooting gear. It was also known in the 19th century as a "bullet bag" ( pouch ) or shooting bag.
A possibles bag ( to me ) holds all of your other gear things like: moulds , flint and steel , extra socks etc ...

But all three terms were used in the 18th and 19th centuries interchangeably so call it what you like , just not a purse ! LOL :)

Andy
Yea I'd fit right in.. since my aforementioned bullet bag only carried balls. anyway

I wanted a small pouch to carry my shooting gear for my 1851 Fake Navy.It is just big enough to carry 2 tins of caps, a capper I modified to handle #10 caps, and I needed to cut off a 1/4" so it would fit. A pistol nipple wrench, and a dozen 36cal. balls. it is 5" long outside measure, and almost 7" in circumference. It closes with one Dot snap and will slide on my 1 1/2" belt, all I need in addition is my powder flask and I'm in business. :D I made it from some scraps I had laying around so I can't put a price on the materials, the profile is somewhat egg shaped when viewed from the ends so it looks like a slightly flattened roll. Did I mention I like it? :rolleyes::p
Gabby

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads