JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
with somewhat better results that those obtained previously, for sure. I took just ten bullets out this morning, since I was aiming to spend more time with a S*i*d*r rifle instead. First two shots this morning shooting a 585gr hollow base smooth-sided lightly greased bullet, over 70gr of Swiss 2Fg, went ten inches apart at 50m. It also hurt like h***. Having had an indecent amount of facial surgery a couple of years ago, I can reliably inform you that that was not one of my better ideas.

Sooooooooo, nursing my fragile fizzog, I dropped the load to 60gr to see what might happen.

This is the result of the last eight shots.
1626277666690-png.png
I'll try slightly upping the load next time I'm out, but for now, it's a good start.

@tac, would the wisdom, "speed does not mean accuracy," apply here?
Might do, but the Volunteer movement was obliged to use the same calibre and powder load that the Regular Army did, hence the trial of 70gr of Swiss 2Fg. The British military service load was 2 and 1/2 drams - 68.5gr in ordinary money.

Last Edited:
Thanks for the history lesson.

Sarcasm duly noted. 👍
I'm sorry that you think that what I meant. I assure you that I was NOT attempting to be sarcastic. I've been on enough American websites for too many years to know that for many of you, having a foreigner tell you anything about your civil war is fraught with danger. The number of times I've been given a genuine wigging for daring to to just that might surprise you.

I have amended my post accordingly, and will, in future, leave it to you Americans to discuss your war between the states.

I got threatened with a ban on another well-known forum when I wrote that. Same deal for WoNA.
Well that is bad news for sure.
As I said...I was just kidding around with you , and as a historian , I took no offense to your original wording in the post you edited.

I always look forward to reading about your experiences with black powder firearms.
Andy

I'm sorry that you think that what I meant. I assure you that I was NOT attempting to be sarcastic. I've been on enough American websites for too many years to know that for many of you, having a foreigner tell you anything about your civil war is fraught with danger. The number of times I've been given a genuine wigging for daring to to just that might surprise you.

I have amended my post accordingly, and will, in future, leave it to you Americans to discuss your war between the states.
LOL, by sarcasm, I was alluding to the dominant product of American Public Education - people holding PhDs in PI (Pure Idiocy). In college in the early '80s, I assisted teaching young geologists, and was astonished at how few of them could identify more than TEN states on the map of the continental US.
My kids tell me that less than half of their classmates can read cursive.
Believe me, if you were to give me an old fashioned schooling, I'd be appreciative of having the correct knowledge. Ego and pride are counterproductive if they get one into pissing matches.

I prefer the War against Northern Aggression ....:D
That's your Tennessee roots talking....

Last Edited:
I'm quite old, Sir, and from a different culture - one that might have been Martian as far as many people I've encountered over the many years that I've met on your side of the pond.

I grew up speaking four languages, of which English was not primary - and could read and write them to a more than acceptable level before I started in school at age five. I was initially left-handed, but living in a dextral world meant that I rapidly became ambidextrous with just about everything that can be imagined.

I try hard to learn something new every day, and usually succeed in doing so. More to the point, I am not too proud to be taught by anybody who knows more than I do about the subject at hand - there are, of course, more examples of this than can possibly be imagined.

In an electronic environment like this one, where we are judged by what we have written, rather than what we have said, it is very difficult indeed to determine if and when a person is offending, or offended.

I continue to do my best not to cause offence here, as a foreign guest. So if you can bear in mind that when I read the things posted here, I make a very calculated judgement before replying.

I sometimes get it wrong.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR