JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sorry for the long read .
"Cliff's Notes Version " :
Find a load that your rifle likes....
Shoot that load often , as well as shooting with the same method often / always...then you will get more hits.

Last weekend at our club shoot , we had a fun shoot.
A gong was the target and we all took turns shooting one shot at it.
If you made your hit...you made it to the next round...if you miss you were out.
We started at 25 yards , then moved back to 50 yards and on until we ended up going to about 90 yards.
Shots were to be made off hand , without a rest ( unless due to age of the shooter ).

I came in first place with no misses.
Throughout the shoot , many a good natured and fun heckle was tossed about as well as comments like :
"Andy makes it look easy " or "There he goes again"....

I post the above not to brag far from it , please don't read it that way.
It just seems that in the club that I belong to...
Many folks just view their muzzle loading rifle as a "rendezvous toy" and not worthy of serious practice .
Or they use it as a hunting rifle , but only because of the rules regarding what you animals you can take during muzzle loading season ..
As well as an extended hunting season.

When I was asked : "How do you shoot like that ? "
Many were amazed with my simple answer of : "Practice , this is my favorite rifle I shoot it a lot."
The rifle I used was my Hawken Rifle.
I have the greatest respect for the rifle maker...its a good looking and good shooting rifle.

It took a lot of work to get the money to buy this rifle.
Also as noted above its a good looking rifle...as well as one that was meant to be used.
So it became "My Rifle". as in the rifle that I shoot , a lot , as in almost every time I go shooting or hunting.
I took time to find a good load that the rifle likes and learned how to shoot that load well.
I don't change my load...I use it for all of my shooting and hunting*.

To my way of thinking....
Just using your rifle at rendezvous ...or as means to extend your hunting season , does your shooting practice ( and enjoyment ) a disservice.
Rifles , be they custom built or off the shelf factory models , were meant to be used and shot....So do so , as often as you can.

My loading for my Hawken is :
80 grains of 2F ( actual black powder )
A .15 patch ( Spit as a lube ) and .530 round ball.
I have at times"upped" my powder charge to around 100 grains....for bear and for a distance shot at a antelope.
But my "everyday" load is the above.
I have taken game and won many a rifle match with it.
I also always shoot "from my shooting bag " , as in no table / bench or with a box full of stuff...

Andy

Last Edited:
Great read Andy and no thought of you bragging at all. This reminds me of something shared to me long ago, one of the greatest (unintended) insults a person can say to someone who is good to excellent at something is, "You're so good at that, you are a natural." When the truth is, no, I sucked at this from the beginning and worked my tail off to get good. It cost me time and treasure to get here. But we politely just say, "Thank you," knowing no malice was intended.

Congrats on your efforts paying off.

I strongly agree with this. I like to find a load that shoots well and is accurate, and then try to stick to that as much as possible. I may make some alternates that are as close as possible, for when a particular bullet or powder is not available. And then shoot thousands of rounds of it.

I have a somewhat animistic view of the world we live in, and the objects we interact with. A well made tool such as a good rifle or a nice handgun or a fine knife deserves to be honored by being used as it was intended, and cared for properly. In return, we get satisfaction, and what seems to others to be amazing skill.

Great read Andy and no thought of you bragging at all. This reminds me of something shared to me long ago, one of the greatest (unintended) insults a person can say to someone who is good to excellent at something is, "You're so good at that, you are a natural." When the truth is, no, I sucked at this from the beginning and worked my tail off to get good. It cost me time and treasure to get here. But we politely just say, "Thank you," knowing no malice was intended.

Congrats on your efforts paying off.
Your post reminds me of a pro golfer from the early days of golf...I forget his name...but the story was: the guy had absolutely zero natural ability. None. Nada. But, where other people may have found a new hobby, he found something he liked...and practiced...and practiced...it didn't matter if his hands were cracked and bleeding, he was still swinging.

I forget the guy's name and can't seem to find it. But, it's a reminder that extraordinary skill can be built where none was, one masachistic second at a time.

I'm just glad that I've got some natural skill. :D

Sorry for the long read .
"Cliff's Notes Version " :
Find a load that your rifle likes....
Shoot that load often , as well as shooting with the same method often / always...then you will get more hits.

Last weekend at our club shoot , we had a fun shoot.
A gong was the target and we all took turns shooting one shot at it.
If you made your hit...you made it to the next round...if you miss you were out.
We started at 25 yards , then moved back to 50 yards and on until we ended up going to about 90 yards.
Shots were to be made off hand , without a rest ( unless due to age of the shooter ).

I came in first place with no misses.
Throughout the shoot , many a good natured and fun heckle was tossed about as well as comments like :
"Andy makes it look easy " or "There he goes again"....

I post the above not to brag far from it , please don't read it that way.
It just seems that in the club that I belong to...
Many folks just view their muzzle loading rifle as a "rendezvous toy" and not worthy of serious practice .
Or they use it as a hunting rifle , but only because of the rules regarding what you animals you can take during muzzle loading season ..
As well as an extended hunting season.

When I was asked : "How do you shoot like that ? "
Many were amazed with my simple answer of : "Practice , this is my favorite rifle I shoot it a lot."
The rifle I used was my Hawken Rifle.
I have the greatest respect for the rifle maker...its a good looking and good shooting rifle.

It took a lot of work to get the money to buy this rifle.
Also as noted above its a good looking rifle...as well as one that was meant to be used.
So it became "My Rifle". as in the rifle that I shoot , a lot , as in almost every time I go shooting or hunting.
I took time to find a good load that the rifle likes and learned how to shoot that load well.
I don't change my load...I use it for all of my shooting and hunting*.

To my way of thinking....
Just using your rifle at rendezvous ...or as means to extend your hunting season , does your shooting practice ( and enjoyment ) a disservice.
Rifles , be they custom built or off the shelf factory models , were meant to be used and shot....So do so , as often as you can.

My loading for my Hawken is :
80 grains of 2F ( actual black powder )
A .15 patch ( Spit as a lube ) and .530 round ball.
I have at times"upped" my powder charge to around 100 grains....for bear and for a distance shot at a antelope.
But my "everyday" load is the above.
I have taken game and won many a rifle match with it.
I also always shoot "from my shooting bag " , as in no table / bench or with a box full of stuff...

Andy
Aim small, miss small.

And fodder for "that thread! :D

Excellent read Andy. I'm going through this process right now. My thing is bowling pins and I have a new to me 1911 and a tried and true load for shooting them. So every time I go shooting for whatever reason I bring the 1911 and pet load along and shoot a few magazines to get me, my gun and my ammo all working together as a single unit. Someone once said practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

Your post reminds me of a pro golfer from the early days of golf...I forget his name...but the story was: the guy had absolutely zero natural ability. None. Nada. But, where other people may have found a new hobby, he found something he liked...and practiced...and practiced...it didn't matter if his hands were cracked and bleeding, he was still swinging.

I forget the guy's name and can't seem to find it. But, it's a reminder that extraordinary skill can be built where none was, one masachistic second at a time.

Yes, well remembered! Don't recall the golfer's name either. My takeaway from that story was that the other person said he would do "anything" to be a good as the pro. No he wouldn't. He wouldn't practice until after dark with cracked an bleeding hands to perfect his craft.

The guiding quote for my practice and efforts to improve comes from Jerry Rice. "Today I will do what other won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't" Seemed to work pretty well for him.

Myself and my girlfriend at the time were invited to a Multnomah Muzzleloaders club shoot.
It was many coon's ages ago.

We were shooting Clyde Wherry's hand built .45 cal rifle.
I can't remember the style of rifle.

In one contest a bold "X" target was placed at 50 yards, IIRC.
Target itself was about 12" x 12"
The game was to put one shot into each quadrant.
Then the shots were measured to center, lowest number wins.

We had been shooting this rifle previously and I was amazed at how accurate it was compared to some of the other rifles.
As it turned out, the girlfriend took 1st place and I was 2nd or 3rd.
They gave us ribbons and everything.
Sometimes I wonder if they threw the game for the guests.
But I think it was Clyde's rifle and a little luck.

That was a great day and I'll never forget it.

Lanny Bassham?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top