JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

magtubeext_with_inset.jpg
In this photo, a standard Shockwave without a mag extension, you can see the barrel is barely longer than the end of the mag tube:
horman-mossberg590s-2.jpg

Shockwaves with mag extensions (with a standoff device on the end of the extension):
Nd9GcRQqpwqHiIWT2vzetTFD-ctY85LeUVWy6gObw&usqp=CAU.jpg

"ATF's 2019 letter was clarifying how to measure the overall length of firearms with folding and collapsible braces. It stated that when a brace is foldable or collapsible, the overall length must be measured with the brace folded or collapsed. For fixed braces, overall length is measured from the end of the buffer tube to the muzzle."

That does not apply to a Shockwave because a Shockwave was never a shotgun and therefore not made from a shotgun.
There was rifle above it on the page. The relevant part is the definition of how ATF measures
the length of a firearm.

Here is another clip---this one from the NIST.Gov site:

4.2.5 Measurands: The quantities to be measured for BL-OL are described in ATF-NFA. Briefly, "The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel", and "The overall length of a firearm is the distance between the muzzle of the barrel and the rearmost portion of the weapon measured on a line parallel to the axis of the bore."

There was rifle above it on the page. The relevant part is the definition of how ATF measures
the length of a firearm.

Here is another clip---this one from the NIST.Gov site:

4.2.5 Measurands: The quantities to be measured for BL-OL are described in ATF-NFA. Briefly, "The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel", and "The overall length of a firearm is the distance between the muzzle of the barrel and the rearmost portion of the weapon measured on a line parallel to the axis of the bore."
But barrel length in an of itself is irrelevant with regards to the Shockwave/et. al. - only in how it pertains to overall length.

There is at least one variation of these "firearms" (BAT Pro Series S Mini) that has a ten inch barrel and a pistol brace, making it 26"+ OAL:

BQIV4MNIARAVTMTFL6EORWVKLI.jpg

View attachment 1131896
In this photo, a standard Shockwave without a mag extension, you can see the barrel is barely longer than the end of the mag tube:
View attachment 1131897

Shockwaves with mag extensions (with a standoff device on the end of the extension):
View attachment 1131898
How's does this even work my Mossberg pgo has a threaded bolt that goes into the barrel lug. Did they change the design with these new ones? Sorry for the off topic it's captured my curisocity

But barrel length in an of itself is irrelevant with regards to the Shockwave/et. al. - only in how it pertains to overall length.

There is at least one variation of these "firearms" (BAT Pro Series S Mini) that has a ten inch barrel and a pistol brace, making it 26"+ OAL:

View attachment 1132441
This is non NFA, correct? Do you think they counted the OAL without the brace removed? I am working on ideas for a 12ga built on AR15 receivers (probably slam fire design because I am lazy) and would like to make the barrel as short as possible while still having 26+ OAL.

This is non NFA, correct? Do you think they counted the OAL without the brace removed? I am working on ideas for a 12ga built on AR15 receivers (probably slam fire design because I am lazy) and would like to make the barrel as short as possible while still having 26+ OAL.
AFAIK yes, non-NFA "firearm", which I believe includes the brace - I don't see how it could be non-NFA otherwise

View attachment 1132441
Here is a problem I see with the firearm pictured. The brace is classified as an accessory and should not be counted in the OAL. The tube that the brace is mounted on could also be classified as an accessory and may not count towards the OAL unless it's necessary for the function of the firearm. This is why I would like to incorporate a buffer tube as a necessary part of my AR 12ga build. I will not be running a brace on it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top