JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A buddy is relocating to Las Vegas from Washington, I volunteered to drive his rental truck. I don't travel without some sort of protection. The problem is I am flying back. Can I ups or FedEx my pistol back to myself?

A buddy is relocating to Las Vegas from Washington, I volunteered to drive his rental truck. I don't travel without some sort of protection. The problem is I am flying back. Can I ups or FedEx my pistol back to myself?
Normally yes, but I don't think that ups or FedEx will let you ship it anymore.

I fly from PDX to LAS and back every year - I have more issues checking it in in PDX than LAS. 30-60 min in PDX, 20-30 min in LAS. unless you have a reason not to check it?

the firearm needs to be in a locked case - like this, : 1689710909316.png

Get an ammo box - 1689711110220.png
they need to go into a TSA approved locked bag. At the counter you need to tell the airline you have a firearm to be checked in. A TSA agent will open and check the firearm and locking box in front of you. It will be sent to baggage after the check in. at arrival there is no check out so dont show up late and have your bag go missing. Amazon has these items for around $30 total.
Hope this helps.

the firearm needs to be in a locked case - like this, :View attachment 1455351

Get an ammo box - View attachment 1455352
they need to go into a TSA approved locked bag. At the counter you need to tell the airline you have a firearm to be checked in. A TSA agent will open and check the firearm and locking box in front of you. It will be sent to baggage after the check in. at arrival there is no check out so dont show up late and have your bag go missing. Amazon has these items for around $30 total.
Hope this helps.
Do not use a TSA lock unless you want TSA to snatch it.

Rental car. Enjoy the drive, it's scenic. Way better than getting crammed into a flying cattle car with 180 irritated, sweating, self entitled people. No crying babies, no being surrounded, no farting, belching, no sitting next to someone who hasn't washed in a week, no feet stink.

Yes, it will cost a bit more. But the freedom you gain from not having to jump through all the air travel hoops is priceless.

Just fill the tank, set the AC where you want, crank up the tunes to what you like and roll on.

The food is better too. Plus. You'll arrive relaxed and in a better frame of mind. 2 days alone with the road gives you plenty of time to think.

You know, that sounds so nice I just might volunteer to come down and pick you up. :)

Last Edited:
PDX required a TSA lock for the outside bag. If its not a requirement point me to the info, had many clowns that cant even open a TSA lock on inspection. The pistol box was a cylinder lock
Your gun is locked in a gun case. If it's in a bag, it needs to be a TSA lock. That said, you could declare your entire hard sided bag as a gun case, but be prepared for a search.

Last time I flew with a pistol (Alaska Airlines) I took my locked (only I had the key) pistol case with a pistol and ammo and stuffed it inside my checked bag. All I had to do is fill out the little form stating it wasn't loaded and ammo was stored in factory box. Easy peasy. No TSA interaction at all. AKAir agent just said to hang around for 20 minutes or so just in case TSA wants to see it.

Do not use a TSA lock unless you want TSA to snatch it.
I let my step dad use my lock box when he was going to Vegas and it has a master lock on it. they made him take it off and put on a tsa approved lock so they could look at it. which is the opposite of everything I've ever known to do. but they made him do it. I assume it was just some tyrannical tsa agent wanting to fondle guns,

I let my step dad use my lock box when he was going to Vegas and it has a master lock on it. they made him take it off and put on a tsa approved lock so they could look at it. which is the opposite of everything I've ever known to do. but they made him do it. I assume it was just some tyrannical tsa agent wanting to fondle guns,
It was. I would have asked for a supervisor. It helps to print off the rules. I had a tyrannical Hawaiian airlines lady tell me my hard sided locked ski case wasn't acceptable for my guns because it wasn't a "gun case". I eventually told her I bought it at a sporting goods store, and it's for black powder rifles.

that's what i told him but he just couldn't understand that a tsa agent was lying to him and figured i must have misheard the law 🤣 it was his gun getting messed with not mine so i didn't really care.

If you chose to fly just go online and the rules are there for both the TSA and the airline you chose. Follow them. Now the warning. The system is supposed to be easy to use. It was set up to be easy to use. The problem is the system is run by humans. A few of them are morons who think they have some power. So show up WAY early. Bring something to keep entertained on the other side of security. Often you will breeze through. Now and then you get stuck. If you do some person there will eventually show up and get you through. If you get held up and miss your flight? You have no recourse.
Shipping to yourself is legal. Now the problem here is if you walk into the place and tell them its a gun or gun parts they will refuse to let you ship. Last few time I flew I shipped a couple guns to myself both ways.

Go to the airline website and find their rules on flying with a firearm. The TSA rule says that only you should have the key to your locked gun case. I always carry a copy of the airline rules with me when I fly, and highlight such rules. The TSA lock goes on the outside of your suitcase. Our personal (non TSA) padlock goes on your gun case. The reason they say you need to hang around for 10 minutes or so is to be able to have a look-see if they determine their is a problem.
Unless your step dad put a non TSA lock on his suitcase this agent was incorrect. To me any TSA lock opens your bag to theft.

Go to the airline website and find their rules on flying with a firearm. The TSA rule says that only you should have the key to your locked gun case. I always carry a copy of the airline rules with me when I fly, and highlight such rules. The TSA lock goes on the outside of your suitcase. Our personal (non TSA) padlock goes on your gun case. The reason they say you need to hang around for 10 minutes or so is to be able to have a look-see if they determine their is a problem.
Unless your step dad put a non TSA lock on his suitcase this agent was incorrect. To me any TSA lock opens your bag to theft.
yeah the personal pad lock was on my gun case he was barrowing i researched for him before he left. i personally have never flown with a gun and dont plan to. i dont like flying im too tall for coach and to poor for first class 🤣

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top