JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Let me start off by saying that I have enjoyed the space at Izak Walton (Eugene chapter) very much and the range master for orientation day for me was very nice. But in this last year there I have been blown away by the disrespect and stupidity. I'm referring to adults breaking rules and then thinking me and my friends are doing something wrong because we are young looking. I am 20 almost 21 years of age but for some reason I'm still being treated like I'm 13 and shouldn't have a pistol on my hip, also all friends I bring are 18 or older. We follow every single rule to a tee but a few old fat farts still have to patrol us and hover to tell us as soon as we do something wrong. Today is a great example because I had traveled 30min over there with 2 pistols, ammo and a steel target to warm up, and keep in my mind every time I have been there during a match they always have a pistol bay open for non match shooters. All I wanted was to warm up to make sure my new glock24 works and all the mags for the m&p40 race gun feed correctly. But nope, Jeremy Brown was the director and I believe he is the man I had talked to, and after he turned me away with my steel to not shoot pistols. We headed up the rifle range for some ar15 time and he actually followed us up in his car and creeply watched to make sure we weren't gonna shoot pistols on steel over there. Its an extremely unwelcoming /untrusting crowd and in the past it has never been this bad. This would be the 4th day this year I have been turned away as soon as I get there for one reason or an other. I don't pay over $100 for this its total BS! by the way the event today wasn't even IDPA formal so why the heck are you guys taking it so serious! SHARE THE RANGE!
and just be respectful to every one no matter race, age or gender

Thank you. Since Ive been shooting at 18 Ive met some of the coolest people and best role models but every once in a while there's a time like this. I just wanted to try to get into IDPA or IPSC stuff and thought this informal day would be good. It was also a benefit match which is great cause I always love to support local communities

Do they have a rule against steel targets on certain ranges there?

A lot of ranges have rules like that - for safety purposes.

I've been to Izaak Walton a few times when I was in college, but that was decades ago. It is possible that they had some bad experiences with young shooters.

No place close to go shoot in the woods ?

Maybe run it up the chain, lay it out respectfully and make your point because yeah , I wouldn't take kindly to being monitored that closely for no good reason..... I wouldn't shoot at a place like that even if it was no fee

I've been to Izaak Walton a few times when I was in college, but that was decades ago. It is possible that they had some bad experiences with young shooters.

Bringing your own steel targets from home is permitted but only at the pistol bays of course. And yes you are probably right about the problems with kids because as soon as I showed up they asked if my guns were loaded o_O I think we can all agree that if some one is transporting a gun with a loaded mag they shouldnt own that firearm.

No place close to go shoot in the woods ?

Maybe run it up the chain, lay it out respectfully and make your point because yeah , I wouldn't take kindly to being monitored that closely for no good reason..... I wouldn't shoot at a place like that even if it was no fee
I use Wolf creek as my stomping grounds with all my barriers and stuff set up on the mountain trails. BLM probably would hate that only problem is getting up to the shooting spots from the car is a hike

Of course you have to follow the rules of the range. I had a bad experience that was my fault last week at TCGC and got a talking to, but a lot of encouragement to continue and come back and to go shoot some of the other ranges for the day. Not ideal, but no one was following me or being creepy, just business and safety which is really what one wants at a range.

.he turned me away with my steel to not shoot pistols. We headed up the rifle range for some ar15 time and he actually followed us up in his car and creeply watched to make sure we weren't gonna shoot pistols on steel over there..
I like a rant better than anyone but if I read you correctly you can shoot pistols on steel at the pistol range and can't shoot pistols on steel at the rifle range and you were prevented from doing either? Just trying to glean the gist here.

I like a rant better than anyone but if I read you correctly you can shoot pistols on steel at the pistol range and can't shoot pistols on steel at the rifle range and you were prevented from doing either? Just trying to glean the gist here.
well they had basically just taken every bay and said even though the match was from 9-12 no pistols at all except for match members from 8-1. If I had come down from Portland this would have been worse. But the steel doesnt matter for me. I had some shoot n c targets but it was the lack of trust that I would do something after they said no

I had a similar experience at a local range. Joined for $150 which was a ton of money when I was 22. Got treated like crap and never went back. I went back for the first time as a guest this summer 14 years later and the old timers couldn't have been friendlier.

Might not be fair but just the way of the world I suppose. They probably see a snot nosed kid. Looking back I should have stuck it out and earned some respect. Ymmv

no , not overly safe but transporting weapons with ammo in the magazine can and should be perfectly safe with responsibility and thankfully you recognize your go to defensive choice should be chambered

I had a similar experience at a local range. Joined for $150 which was a ton of money when I was 22. Got treated like crap and never went back. I went back for the first time as a guest this summer 14 years later and the old timers couldn't have been friendlier.

Might not be fair but just the way of the world I suppose. They probably see a snot nosed kid. Looking back I should have stuck it out and earned some respect. Ymmv
haha yes thank you. I know if I was just a bit older then this wouldnt be an issue.

well they had basically just taken every bay and said even though the match was from 9-12 no pistols at all except for match members from 8-1. If I had come down from Portland this would have been worse. But the steel doesnt matter for me. I had some shoot n c targets but it was the lack of trust that I would do something after they said no
Hey I hear you but may not understand all the particulars. Either they were in the wrong with denying you proper use or they were just being untrustful.
I know it's not "right" (but what is?) but if you're a young'un, especially one running with a pack, you'll have to bend a bit to actually show with eyeballs upon you that you can then be trusted. Doubt me?. join the military.
Geezers/shooters are kinda old fashioned, but if you show you're not a punk and can handle yourself, you are "in"/can be trusted.
anyway, maybe cool off or something and good luck

Hey I hear you but may not understand all the particulars. Either they were in the wrong with denying you proper use or they were just being untrustful.
I know it's not "right" (but what is?) but if you're a young'un, especially one running with a pack, you'll have to bend a bit to actually show with eyeballs upon you that you can then be trusted. Doubt me?. join the military.
Geezers/shooters are kinda old fashioned, but if you show you're not a punk and can handle yourself, you are "in"/can be trusted.
anyway, maybe cool off or something and good luck
yeah I dont let stuff like this affect me to much. gonna go see a movie and cook ribs with the girl, so screw it. But I do know what your saying about proving your self. been there alot for ex military people fiiling the father role for me and they can be tuff to impress. I know aside from how I may seem. I am a quiet calm nice canadian who always shows up with a great attitude. I just believe more in trusting someone until they prove otherwise but every ones different. I guess I just got butt hurt cause they wouldn't let me join in on there reindeer games. lol

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top