JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bringing your own steel targets from home is permitted but only at the pistol bays of course. And yes you are probably right about the problems with kids because as soon as I showed up they asked if my guns were loaded o_O I think we can all agree that if some one is transporting a gun with a loaded mag they shouldnt own that firearm.

You mean like Jeff Cooper and everyone who CCW's their carry gun to the range?

You did have a bad experience and I would personally take it up with the board at the next meeting. The board may agree with you if they are customer oriented

yeah I dont let stuff like this affect me to much. gonna go see a movie and cook ribs with the girl, so screw it. But I do know what your saying about proving your self. been there alot for ex military people fiiling the father role for me and they can be tuff to impress. I know aside from how I may seem. I am a quiet calm nice canadian who always shows up with a great attitude. I just believe more in trusting someone until they prove otherwise but every ones different. I guess I just got butt hurt cause they wouldn't let me join in on there reindeer games. lol
I'm glad you stood yourself well and didn't go all ape. It has happened to all of us and will probably never stop.. after a fashion.
Your showing here tells/speaks of a certain honor. It's a terrible thing to be questioned when you're an honorable man but it is the wise one that understands the common way of things.

Then I am being misinformed by a staff member/ range officers who have told me I can bring my own
Dear Tactical Oak Tree
Glad you like shooting and competing, and sharing your passion with others.
62 years old, sloppier and fattier than back when I was 20.
I am a range safety officer at DRRC.
Lots of nice folks are members (1500+)
Open carry on DRRC property is forbidden except on the firing line.
A few are obama dolls.
They don't read the manual.
They ignore rules.
They ignore the advisory and warning signs.
Orientation for them (taught by the club's vice-president) was a momentary brain fart.
Your club dues and fees are less than DRRC.

I think there was some miscommunication happening there, and that's unfortunate - but it sounds like maybe the range officer was correct.

As for the officer following you around, that was his job, to make sure everybody is following the rules for their own safety and that of others.

So if that is creepy to you, then by all means, do not go back.

With regards to people carrying loaded firearms - it depends on the situation.

At gun ranges, I try to follow the rules, safety and otherwise. I may not agree with all of them but if I am a member or guest I agreed to follow them while there. I can certainly see rules about unloaded firearms when the range is cold, and not having loaded firearms behind the firing line.

Otherwise, regarding concealed carry, having a permit doesn't make anybody safer, carrying concealed is no safer with regards to gun safety than open carry - these are just legalities, not safety rules.

However, I do have a personal rule that if any of my firearms isn't within my immediate personal control it is usually unloaded. I personally see no reason to have a firearm loaded when transporting it to the range, unless it is my personal carry self-defense weapon, and given most range rules I would unload the latter before I enter range property.

looks like the staff may have given you some bad info based on the rule book.

You can always head over to Albany Rifle & Pistol Club, it's $143 annually. https://www.arpc.info/
I'm a member there and love it. EVERYONE follows the rules there and it's self-policing so other members will check you if you're doing something stupid.

To the OP:

All I can say is get used to stuff like that. People will always treat some people differently.

Been there done that at your age. Now I'm closing in on 40 and still have "experiences"...

Went to the range I belong to in leather boots, carhart jeans and a hunters camo jacket; got treated very well and had a pleasant time talking with folks.

Same range different trip and I have the same outfit on except I had a wife beater on because of the heat and my full sleeve + chest plate of Tatoos were showing...; was treated as a total fool and was made to feel very unwelcome - yes, I chose to get the tats knowing that the conservatives in my life may not take a shine to it.

Point I'm trying to make is that you can have very different experiences based on very stupid things and to not take it personally.

Best of Luck with your choices and Cheers for being one of the "good ones" in your age range.

BTW - give it another 20 years (which will go by MUCH faster then your first lol!) and those old farts will be gone and you will have to deal with a whole new crowd of old farts who used to play Halo:p:D

So it's a cold range.
DRRC does not use the term Cold range.
The Line is Cold. Cold Line.
Firearms are unloaded, benched-racked, w chamber flags inserted.
Anyone not going down range shall stand behind the benches.
No touching guns or anything on the benches.
Shooters may go down range to hang, check, repair, remove targets on a cold line.

Rules for bringing firearms to the line are like those at the Eugene club.

"The Line is Hot" Hot line - guns may be handled, loaded, fired, while at all times pointed at target and impact berms.
Only when the line is hot may Firearms be removed from the line after being unloaded, muzzle pointed vertically or cased and carried to a vehicle.

DRRC allows handguns at the indoor, dynamic, silhouette, ranges and tactical shotgun bay
DRRC with exceptions, does not allow open carry loaded firearms.
Exceptions
LEOs with their shield displayed.
CC licensees with their irons outta sight.
Competitors participating in IDPA, USPSA, 3-gun, etc matches.
Board approved, RSO supervised handgun training.

DRRC orientation covers all the rules. All members are responsible for enforcing the rules.
Of the 1500+ active members, 150+ are NRA certified Range Safety Officers.
If a member is reported to the board for rule violation, the member may discuss the issue with the board.

The babying, dues and bubblegum attitudes are why I dont shoot at the range.

Granted lots of cool folks and great ranges out there.. But its always a damn hassle, way way too much liability focused rules and people are so pissy..
Id rather take my chances and shoot on public land by myself. Then again, Im a strange loner. :confused:

I have a younger son hes 21, and has about the same kinda issues until as Joe13 pointed out he came looked and acted as if he belonged there. He is one of the safest and best shooters I know. I have seen him take many a firearm never held before and within two three shots he is dead on. I had a similar instinct like him when I was younger of course eyes are more tire now and recoil matters a bit. Point is he knew what he was doing but now he goes shooting he goes with his hunting type gear, boots, gloves in winter on and then he looks like he knows what he is doing and then people watch and smile at how proficient he is. The first time he shot with strangers he was in tshirt, jeans and weird hat. Did same stuff but was not respected. The same reason one shows up to a meeting in a jacket and tie is often taken more serious then the guy in a poloshirt. It just how people are. Next time you go to McDonalds look at the manager. How do you know he is ? Cause he looks the part and thats the same thing. I guess one could write them, but in most circles and rod and gun places there is a niche breaking that niche or fitting in really make the point of whether its enjoyable or not. By the way not saying rude treatment is fair. But I am now in my early 50's its a good age to be, your old enough know things and old enough not to give a crap of those that don't agree with you. And still young enough to do most everything you have done. Rambled on a bit sorry bout that . Life is a struggle, meet it head on and it will pay off I guarantee that !

I've seen old hands that have no business handling a gun and young folks that take their safety very seriously. It can be tough to judge someone's ability and maturity by their age. I just try to keep an eye on the folks around me - if they are unsafe, it will present itself soon enough. Thankfully most folks at my range are good to go in the safety arena. But when I worked the hunter sight-in a few months back, I saw some folks that I would be very concerned to have in the woods with me during a hunt (though I'm not a hunter). A couple of scary folks that really don't know the basics of safe firearm handling.

Last Edited:
looks like the staff may have given you some bad info based on the rule book.

You can always head over to Albany Rifle & Pistol Club, it's $143 annually. https://www.arpc.info/
I'm a member there and love it. EVERYONE follows the rules there and it's self-policing so other members will check you if you're doing something stupid.
I'm also a member there. I like that you can shoot more than just paper.

I haven't shot on a full range, outside of work requirements for a long time. Ill drop by Threat Dynamics and use their indoor range from time to time though.

The cost of memberships for decent ranges in the PDX area is insane. Tri county just emailed me about availability and letting me know that I could come go through their training to be part of their range. Its been a year since I "applied" and I am going to pass. I don't mind spending the money. I don't mind qualifying to allow them to take my money... I just don't need a bunch of people all up in my business when I am out having fun or practicing.

I have a few co workers that are members at various places. One of which has a rule that you can not have a firearm outside of the secure case prior to being on the range. People, members, have been told to leave because they showed up with a sidearm on their hip? Sorry, when I load 7k in arms and ammunition in my truck for a day of shooting, I'm also carrying to and from the shooting site.

You know, if you go to the range looking anything like this you've got to expect a little scrutiny from the "Old Fat Farts"?
Tattoos+are+one+thing+but+piercings+are+another+for+girls+_f6fdfd3f96e3dea8d187c666712632d2.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top