JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wont name names O/P but I know a guy for about 20 year now. I wont shoot with, he is ex-military and had basic and some rifle for Military training. However he likes to tell everyone he served during Vietnam. Why I appreciate his service , serving during and over in are two different things I found out clear when I met him. My youngest son has zero times almost killed me by poor handling, this person has almost killed me and family three times all do to poor discipline and control hes about 12 years older then me and I wont go shooting with him anymore and is why there are only three times. The first time I should have stopped shooting with him was when we to BLM I really wasnt watching him as I got my gear setup . I watched him walk across the road which is about 25feet not yards to where a rock wall was he put something over there but again wasnt looking and then with out so much as a heads up or ears on he takes his AK and proceeds to spray the the rocks wall where he had put a couple cans up. Now Anyone want to guess what came flying and skipped off the top of my truck 25ft in the opposite direction.my family all ducked behind my truck as nimrod couldn't hear us yelling at him. Not to mention himself was shooting without ears or eyes on. I could go on but you get the idea age doesnt make experience. Experience makes experience.

I wont name names O/P but I know a guy for about 20 year now. I wont shoot with, he is ex-military and had basic and some rifle for Military training. However he likes to tell everyone he served during Vietnam. Why I appreciate his service , serving during and over in are two different things I found out clear when I met him. My youngest son has zero times almost killed me by poor handling, this person has almost killed me and family three times all do to poor discipline and control hes about 12 years older then me and I wont go shooting with him anymore and is why there are only three times. The first time I should have stopped shooting with him was when we to BLM I really wasnt watching him as I got my gear setup . I watched him walk across the road which is about 25feet not yards to where a rock wall was he put something over there but again wasnt looking and then with out so much as a heads up or ears on he takes his AK and proceeds to spray the the rocks wall where he had put a couple cans up. Now Anyone want to guess what came flying and skipped off the top of my truck 25ft in the opposite direction.my family all ducked behind my truck as nimrod couldn't hear us yelling at him. Not to mention himself was shooting without ears or eyes on. I could go on but you get the idea age doesnt make experience. Experience makes experience.

i might consider that a threat and may have taken action to stop him. if jackolantern is spraying the rocks causing the ricochet rounds to come at you and yours, i think that's good grounds to stop his action.

i might consider that a threat and may have taken action to stop him. if jackolantern is spraying the rocks causing the ricochet rounds to come at you and yours, i think that's good grounds to stop his action.

Yep you are 100% correct , not going to post what I did exactly. I can say end result was he didn't have the firearm in his possession and ended up on his arse.

The two following issues years later was being swept, and him tripping with finger on trigger firing off a round. Its someone close to the family so I hoped he would listen and learn. Nope hes one of these I had basic so I am a Navy Seal kinda guys. As I said anyone that serves in the Military or in public safety I have respect for that doesn't change the fact that ones acts as a civilian do not reflect military service they are two different things.

Maybe ra time to drive a little up I5 and some to ARPC...

I hate buttholes on the range.

I was shooting Saturday and there was somebody using the pistol plates before us. They were finishing so we moved into position. While later (3 of us and 5 guns) I saw somebody milling around so we just sat everything down and moved back so they could get in time.... Then another man and his son can. There was nothing but cooperation. Then suddenly it became a circle of sharing, talking and discussing gear.

Doesn't matter how old, respect transcends age.

There is an old book called "Dress for Success"...

Either figure out what people like to see and conform to that standard, or do otherwise and be looked at with suspicion. That's the human animal for ya. In any case don't let the occasional unpleasant experience sour you unnecessarily...

I should talk... I usually go for informal ranges out in the forest somewhere! For me the ideal is joining a gun club for the companionship; but for any serious shooting, BLM land...

BTW I just found this club, anyone familiar with it?

http://www.btrpc.com/about.shtml

Bringing your own steel targets from home is permitted but only at the pistol bays of course. And yes you are probably right about the problems with kids because as soon as I showed up they asked if my guns were loaded o_O I think we can all agree that if some one is transporting a gun with a loaded mag they shouldnt own that firearm.
Not all I guess...
I'm not military or a LEO (yet;)) and I ALWAYS transport my gun to the range with a loaded mag. ...and a loaded chamber. ...in a holster. ...on my hip where it belongs. :)

Probably a few misunderstandings at play here.

1. The pistol bays are closed during a match, until the match is over. If you shot this Saturday, the pistol range was closed to outside shooters during the steel match, and all 5 pistol bays were probably in use (I wasn't at the recent steel match). The reason the pistol range is closed during a match is so that we don't have others shooting while we are tearing down, or shooting a stage in between squads, wandering into bays during the match wearing/carrying loaded guns, or otherwise not following match rules or causing problems during the match. I've seen examples of all of those over the years. The match rules are more strict and safety conscious than the general range rules. There have been times when people, including Jeremy, allow members who show up to shoot in a bay that is finished for the match. I think this is a mistake, and this thread is an example of a reason why.

2. The IWLA Eugene chapter board (the range) made a new rule this year that the only steel allowed to be shot in the pistol bays is steel owned by EPS, which can be shot in the pistol bays by EPS members & guests. This did not used to be the case. I don't agree with the rule, but it wasn't my call.

3. I've known Jeremy for ~10 yrs now, and I am on the EPS board. I've never seen Jeremy be a jerk to anyone and have seen him work to defuse problems. He does a lot for the range, solicits new shooters, and wants shooters to have fun and enjoy the range. I know that from observation and direct conversation with Jeremy. He, and nearly all others, welcome new or young shooters. If you had steel targets with you, and said something like "Fine, we'll go shoot at the rifle range", or if there was any huffing/puffing not mentioned in the OP, I can understand why Jeremy (board member of IWLA and also the president of EPS) wanted to make sure you weren't shooting steel at the rifle range, which is not allowed. The only exception is the 200 yd steel gong owned by the board.

4. Matches are run in the pistol bays 1st (USPSA), 2nd (Steel), 3rd (IDPA) Saturdays. You are quite welcome to shoot a match at those times or to do regular shooting at the rifle bays. The range is closed 4th Saturday for repair/cleanup during which the whole range is closed from 8 am until they are done. Some other matches are run on irregular and infrequent schedules, like a recent precision rifle match or the occasional 3 gun match (which hasn't happened in over a year).

5. The pistol bay berms were under repair/upgrade during the first week of December, and were closed because earth movers, mud and lots of equipment was in the bays. That happened without notice, apparently b/c we got a good deal on the work at the last minute and saved a chunk of money.

6. I've bumped heads at the range twice with Butch, the president of the chapter. Butch is actually a pretty good guy but has a brusque style about rules that pissed me off twice. On reflection, I think that neither time did Butch appear to be looking for trouble but I took it that way and responded in kind. I think both were 2-part misunderstandings. No big deal, move on. John Grosse, who is a range old timer and a super nice guy, has pissed off my friend Bill, who is also a super nice guy. No big deal, move on.

7. Some rules have changed over the years, and not everyone, including me, is always up on them.

We (the EPS board) want shooters to enjoy the range and have use of it. The restrictions are during matches, range clean up day, and on the rifle range during Sighting In days.

-Ben Bock, age 45, the previous USPSA MD, occasional fill-in steel or IDPA MD, and current EPS board member.

Let me start off by saying that I have enjoyed the space at Izak Walton (Eugene chapter) very much and the range master for orientation day for me was very nice. But in this last year there I have been blown away by the disrespect and stupidity. I'm referring to adults breaking rules and then thinking me and my friends are doing something wrong because we are young looking. I am 20 almost 21 years of age but for some reason I'm still being treated like I'm 13 and shouldn't have a pistol on my hip, also all friends I bring are 18 or older. We follow every single rule to a tee but a few old fat farts still have to patrol us and hover to tell us as soon as we do something wrong. Today is a great example because I had traveled 30min over there with 2 pistols, ammo and a steel target to warm up, and keep in my mind every time I have been there during a match they always have a pistol bay open for non match shooters. All I wanted was to warm up to make sure my new glock24 works and all the mags for the m&p40 race gun feed correctly. But nope, Jeremy Brown was the director and I believe he is the man I had talked to, and after he turned me away with my steel to not shoot pistols. We headed up the rifle range for some ar15 time and he actually followed us up in his car and creeply watched to make sure we weren't gonna shoot pistols on steel over there. Its an extremely unwelcoming /untrusting crowd and in the past it has never been this bad. This would be the 4th day this year I have been turned away as soon as I get there for one reason or an other. I don't pay over $100 for this its total BS! by the way the event today wasn't even IDPA formal so why the heck are you guys taking it so serious! SHARE THE RANGE!
and just be respectful to every one no matter race, age or gender

"Sure. What would you like to know about our little range?"

I see there is a shoot Dec 19. I was thinking of watching, when does that take place?

How many members does the club have? I never joined a club before...

Sure. What would you like to know about our little range?

If only it was not a 2.5 hour drive.
You would have a new member.
Looks like a good range with reasonable membership pricing.

If you are aware of something similar in the PDX Metro area please let me know. A message or a post here would be cool.

To the op: I am heavily tattooed. Enough so that it turns people off and probably a lot of the members here. I am 40.
I have learned a few things, it doesnt make it right, fair, or just. But it is just the way things are.
Old farts look at young guys with guns with suspicion. It is a weird time we live in currently and its not going to get any better. Odds are, had you been wearing everyday redneck gear, you would not have been scrutinized nearly as bad.
Repeat trips as often as possible is how i would deal with it. Kill them with kindness and knowledge. Knowledge is power. Knowledge also crosses all barriers, in my opinion.

Bringing your own steel targets from home is permitted but only at the pistol bays of course. And yes you are probably right about the problems with kids because as soon as I showed up they asked if my guns were loaded o_O I think we can all agree that if some one is transporting a gun with a loaded mag they shouldnt own that firearm.

that is a stupid statement. Your not 21, but if your were to conceal carry a pistol, would it be loaded? Of coarse.. I hope lol. So why do you consider it stupid to transport them loaded?

that is a stupid statement. Your not 21, but if your were to conceal carry a pistol, would it be loaded? Of coarse.. I hope lol. So why do you consider it stupid to transport them loaded?

Really? "Stupid statement"? Seems a bit harsh.

With my relatively short experience with fire arms it just seems like a recipe for problems carrying loaded fire arms around, (not including properly holstered and/or permitted concealed hand guns, of course).

"I see there is a shoot Dec 19. I was thinking of watching, when does that take place?
How many members does the club have? I never joined a club before...
If only it was not a 2.5 hour drive.
You would have a new member.
Looks like a good range with reasonable membership pricing.

The shoot on the 19th is open to the public, you're welcome to do more than watch. People will be there at 9:00am. If you do decide to come, be sure and check the website before you leave to make sure we don't cancel it... And be sure you refresh your browser when you do so you don't see a cached page. We cancelled a 5-stand shoot last weekend at the request of the organizer and some of our Corvallis members neglected to check before they headed out... At least the range was clear for them to use.

For starters, the differences in a club and a business are that as a 501(c)(7) non-profit, we are limited in how we can collect funds, and to some extent how we can spend funds, as opposed to a business entity with a profit motive. Currently, our membership fees go to pay the bills, general upkeep and a little fundraising... mortgage, insurance, power, porta-potties, general maintenance, limited advertising, etc. Nobody profits from the annual fees, or any other funds we take in.

Our Board of Directors is elected every year from the general membership and has been very good in recent years at securing funds for improvements through grants. We have added electrical, a classroom, pistol range and shooting shelter in the most recent years, all with grant money and volunteerism. Near future projects we're planning for include additional parking and a 40 yard carbine range.

Yes, it's a hike from the Portland area. You'd definitely have to make a day or weekend out of it. We don't actively recruit membership from out of the area, but surprisingly we have a number of long distance members. I suspect the ones furthest away have summer homes or family here. I know some personally who live in the valley and come here because it's not crowded. Honestly, if you can get out there on a weekday, you might have a range all to yourself. Our current membership number is somewhere around 350. At any given meeting you're likely to see maybe 15-20 people. At shoots, you might see up to 50.

Hope this helps.

Rich Fix

Sure makes me wish I lived closer to Eugene, maybe. "Donating", to such a non-profit would be great! I've never had the pleasure of going to a "Shoot", and would like to someday.

This sure turned into a nice thread for the way it started. I hope the OP thinks so to.

Sure makes me wish I lived closer to Eugene, maybe. "Donating", to such a non-profit would be great! I've never had the pleasure of going to a "Shoot", and would like to someday.

Just to clarify, the Big Timber Rifle and Pistol Club in Siletz, Oregon (just a few miles inland from Newport) is the one I described, not the Izaak Walton range in Eugene. I think Izaak Walton is also a non-profit however... I was a member there too years ago.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top