JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Actually the way it's written no rights were 'given' to anyone. The constitution declares that it will 'protect' the rights it deemed were inherent to 'we the people'. So according to the constitution the rights were already ours to begin with.

Good post, but again from the mouths of mere mortals. And fountain pens. :)

BACK TO THE OP!

"The incessant clamoring for gun control these past couple of days has really put a burr under my saddle. I dont understand how "shall not be infringed" is not clear? I'm tired of the emotional pleas to the uniformed general public. Is there no critical thinking, logic or truth left in society? The second amendment was put in place to protect the people against a tyrannical government. If we give an inch, they will take a mile....Ugggg! I just want the government to stay out of my life and to stop trampling my GOD GIVEN rights:mad:. Is that too much to ask?"

OK, so besides ranting like many of us have done in MANY threads lately since Florida, what is the topic?

If we were "endowed" these rights by our "creator", why aren't they in the Bible? :rolleyes:

Just because Jefferson said so, doesn't make it true. My point is religion has zippo to do with our right to keep and bear arms. Regardless of how the writers of the constitution felt.

I believe different, again they deemed the right as from god so no man can take it from you and that right is the right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness backed up with a gun for protection from those who would try to take that right.

I believe different, again they deemed the right as from god so no man can take it from you and that right is the right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness backed up with a gun for protection from those who would try to take that right.

Again, they deemed. The constitution wasn't written from the words of God. Sorry.

It doesn't matter what you or I or anyone thinks about religion today, what's important is what the founders thought as they wrote the document. They honestly believed we all had the same creator and our rights are god given. While lots of folks don't see it that way they certainly did and yall should be happy about it.:D

When they said "shall not infringe" that infringement was considered an afront to god himself. Now days our politicians don't have that kind of religion for your rights. They take them god or no god.

It doesn't matter what you or I or anyone thinks about religion today, what's important is what the founders thought as they wrote the document. They honestly believed we all had the same creator and our rights are god given. While lots of folks don't see it that way they certainly did and yall should be happy about it.:D

When they said "shall not infringe" that infringement was considered an afront to god himself. Now days our politicians don't have that kind of religion for your rights. They take them god or no god.

Now days, there's something called "separation of church and state". And your rights haven't been taken.

"The Founders believed that natural rights are inherent in all people by virtue of their being human and that certain of these rights are unalienable, meaning they cannot be surrendered to government under any circumstances." From Jeffrey Rosen President and CEO, National Constitution Center.

We hear that a lot, but it is not 100% true. Many of the founders did not believe in individual rights. Many of the founders did not agree with each other. Benjamin Franklin - John Adams as just one example, John Dickinson, head of Pennsylvania's delegation to Congress, hated Franklin. Many times the founding fathers were at each others throats.

I believe we have rights granted to us by our creator. Among those are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Pretty Girls.

This is a great article on Franklin, from 1997
How Ben Franklin Invented the American Dream | Jim Powell

On Natural Rights - Cato's Letters
Cato's letters; or, Essays on liberty

Cato's Letters

The Constitution says "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." Doesn't that imply that the arms the People should bear should be military equivalent in order to be a useful and well regulated militia?

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews