JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It was written into the constitution because the founders deemed it a god given right, things have changed since then and a lot of people think you have no god given rights.

Again, the men who wrote the constitution gave we, the people, the rights found within.

"The Founders believed that natural rights are inherent in all people by virtue of their being human and that certain of these rights are unalienable, meaning they cannot be surrendered to government under any circumstances." From Jeffrey Rosen President and CEO, National Constitution Center.

When Thomas Jefferson crafted the Declaration of Independence, he pointed to "certain unalienable rights" with which we were endowed by our "Creator."
What did he mean when he wrote the phrase "unalienable rights," and what rights are "unalienable"?

Jefferson understood "unalienable rights" as fixed rights given to us by our Creator rather than by government. The emphasis on our Creator is crucial, because it shows that the rights are permanent just as the Creator is permanent.

Jefferson's thought on the source of these rights was impacted by Oxford's William Blackstone, who described "unalienable rights" as "absolute" rights–showing that they were absolute because they came from him who is absolute, and that they were, are, and always will be, because the Giver of those rights–Jefferson's "Creator"–was, and is, and always be.

Moreover, because we are "endowed" with them, the rights are inseparable from us: they are part of our humanity.

In a word, the government did not give them and therefore cannot take them away, but the government still strains at ways to suppress them.

To protect fundamental, individual rights, James Madison helped include the Bill of Rights in the Constitution. The intent was to remove them from government's reach.

The "unalienable rights" explicitly protected by the Bill of Rights include, but are not limited to, the rights of free speech and religion, the right to keep and bear arms, self-determination with regard to one's own property, the right to be secure in one's own property, the right to a trial by a jury of one's peers, protection from cruel and unusual punishment, and so forth.

Among the "unalienable rights" implicitly protected in the Bill of Rights are freedom of conscience–how can one have freedom of speech or religion without freedom of conscience?–and the right to self-defense. As Associate Justice Samuel Alito wrote in the majority decision for McDonald v. Chicago (2010): "Self-defense is a basic right, recognized by many legal systems from ancient times to the present day, and in [District of Columbia v. Heller (2008)], we held that individual self-defense is a central component of the Second Amendment right."

"Unalienable rights" are ours to keep, by virtue of our Creator. So said Thomas Jefferson through the Declaration of Independence, and he was seconded by James Madison through the Bill of Rights.

A "central component" of our "unalienable rights" is the right to keep and bear arms.
What Thomas Jefferson Meant by 'Unalienable Rights' | Breitbart

If we were "endowed" these rights by our "creator", why aren't they in the Bible? :rolleyes:

Just because Jefferson said so, doesn't make it true. My point is religion has zippo to do with our right to keep and bear arms. Regardless of how the writers of the constitution felt.

Thanks for the post. TBH I'm tired of hearing that it's a "God given right" to have a gun. That's simply not true. It's a constitutional right, nothing higher.

If we were "endowed" these rights by our "creator", why aren't they in the Bible? :rolleyes:

Just because Jefferson said so, doesn't make it true. My point is religion has zippo to do with our right to keep and bear arms. Regardless of how the writers of the constitution felt.

Agreed to an extent....however I believe (again this is purely MY belief) my religion is that self defense is preservation of/for protection for my family and to others. I cannot in good conscious give up my rights/will of defense from others just because the state says I should (ie let a bully beat me, my family, or others up). To me that is one of the highest forms of love to others; is to lay down your life for others, regardless of what the "state" says. I agree the BOR and DOI are "man-made" but if the "Bible" is the inspired word of God written through common men....then there might be some self evident truths within. For me, self defense and self protection for/or my family is higher than just lil 'ol me.

Last Edited:
Sorry....If I'm dead "self" protection of others is gone from me...... esp if those "others" cant defend themselves as well.

Last Edited:
Sorry MC, but self protection comes from being a self aware animal. Lower species hide, herd together and even fight together to self preserve. We just happen to have opposable thumbs and invented gunpowder.

Sorry MC, but self protection comes from being a self aware animal. Lower species hide, herd together and even fight together to self preserve. We just happen to have opposable thumbs and invented gunpowder.

So I misused "self" in some instances.......my point still stands.... Still not sure what you actually getting at....?

The right to keep and bear arms isn't a God given right. It's a right given to us by some really smart dudes.

F that noise all you want. Its the truth.

thats-like-your-opinion-man-gif-8.gif

I've made mine known.....and you, yours.....I will choose FA's over rocks, bows, and others.....until that time comes.......choose what you want and I wish you all the best

View attachment 433425

I've made mine known.....and you, yours.....I will choose FA's over rocks, bows, and others.....until that time comes.......choose what you want and I wish you all the best

Ah, The Dude is good! The Dude is smart! And of course I think we ALL choose FA's over more primitive means MC. Trust me, it doesn't mean I don't believe in, stand up for, and will fight for the 2A. It just means I don't think there was any higher power in granting we, the people, those rights. We, the people shouldn't be divided by any religious interpretations of those rights. We, the people, should stand shoulder to shoulder. And make Thomas Jefferson proud.

The right to keep and bear arms isn't a God given right. It's a right given to us by some really smart dudes.

Actually the way it's written no rights were 'given' to anyone. The constitution declares that it will 'protect' the rights it deemed were inherent to 'we the people'. So according to the constitution the rights were already ours to begin with.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews