JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Speaking of drones...

Modify/scale up to fit decent spycam button cam thingy with bluetooth, and watch idiots call in about "USAF F-35"s in local airspace :s0064:

Heck of a way to sow confusion and chaos
thunderbolt and lightning.jpg

What make/model drone do you own? I've been on the fence regarding getting one for awhile now and I've had a few coworkers who are heavily into drones.

Thanks!
I have a couple different versions of the DJI phantom pro and a mavic 3 pro. The phantoms are much more powerful, can handle fairly strong winds and much more stable, but the mavic is smaller, convenient for backpacking trips and has longer flight times.

Out of the box transmission range is all very similar. About 4 miles under ideal conditions, but more typically about half that. There are aftermarket directional antennas and boosters available though that can greatly extend their range. Since they are primarily operated line of sight it really depends on the terrain and the level of wifi interference in the area.

IE., flying over open fields vs. over single level homes vs downtown high rise buildings.

I hear what you are saying and agree to a point.

However...
In the military you also earn awards , medals , qualification badges , tabs and the like....all of which can show off your flare ...
So to speak.
Some folks earn 'em...others don't.

With that said....
My combat ribbons , awards and medals earned though my individual actions weren't done for flare.
And ain't to be taken lightly.
Arguably ....my Air Assault badge...Parachutist Badge / "Jump Wings" and Ranger tab...while earned for many different reasons...
Could have a little "flare" thrown in....:D
Andy
When I am thinking of flare I recall Office Space for some reason:

View: https://youtu.be/_ChQK8j6so8?si=1jFF3Lq4To--bgTy

Last Edited:
With hundreds of thousands of military age men entering our country illegally, there is an outside chance this might happen. Not sure how lines would be drawn, ROE established, or even identification friend or foe would be determined.

Would be horrible and I hope to never see it in my lifetime.
Amen to that! :s0155:

I had a similar conversation with a retired high-ranking military official years ago and the basic conclusion that any orders to fire upon US Citizens wouldn't make it down the chain.
OF COURSE "it" would "make it down the chain"... Orders is orders and following orders is what soldiers and cops DO.. One deludes ones self believing that military (especially) and LE wouldnt fire on civilians declared "in rebellion". However the lack of recruitment these days says something (maybe) about ability to recruit during an active rebellion/civil war. And a lot would depend on the causes of the rebellion and what sort of gov't would likely follow.

Makes one wonder if a nice solar panel capable of charging a drone (or other things) might not be a bad investment...
A lot of drones would need to be hacked to be able to fly without use of GPS for reasons created by the FAA. The problem is most private drones are currently hooked up to a grid of sorts that can be subverted by a tyrannical government if they deem necessary, rendering a lot of people SOL.

One deludes ones self believing that military (especially) and LE wouldnt fire on civilians declared "in rebellion".
Let's just agree to disagree on this point! If one is properly informed on what is happening, I can tell you for a fact, many would not who believe in their Constitutional oath! When posed with a certain question from both branches I served in, I gave a flat out NO!

Now, I'll concede that today's military personnel may be of a different mind set and don't even believe in the Constitution even though they gave an oath. We know recently a few of our politicians have even blatantly gone against their sworn oath and nothing was done about it!

With hundreds of thousands of military age men entering our country illegally, there is an outside chance this might happen. Not sure how lines would be drawn, ROE established, or even identification friend or foe would be determined.

Would be horrible and I hope to never see it in my lifetime.
"Would be horrible and I hope to never see it in my lifetime".
AMEN! I hear ya there bro...

OF COURSE "it" would "make it down the chain"... Orders is orders and following orders is what soldiers and cops DO.. One deludes ones self believing that military (especially) and LE wouldnt fire on civilians declared "in rebellion". However the lack of recruitment these days says something (maybe) about ability to recruit during an active rebellion/civil war. And a lot would depend on the causes of the rebellion and what sort of gov't would likely follow.
One of the guys who would have been responsible for sending that order said he wouldn't send that order. I have no reason not to believe him.

Any idea the current range on modern versions of RC?
Anywhere from 10 minutes flight time to 30 miles for rc craft smaller than manned craft, dependent on how far radio control frequencies and such can go. Theoretically a satellite radio frequency could make for ludicriously long ranged remote controls, dependeny on size, fuel loads, weights, power and all that.

A lot of drones would need to be hacked to be able to fly without use of GPS for reasons created by the FAA. The problem is most private drones are currently hooked up to a grid of sorts that can be subverted by a tyrannical government if they deem necessary, rendering a lot of people SOL.
For deeper discussion it's probably better to open an "off topic" thread, but just quickly.

Not necessarily. It depends on the level of drone you're talking about. Like an amazon chineseium special for under a 100 bucks there are really two varieties. Many don't have GPS capability all, and then there are those that do, but are likely not able to fly without it. Period.

Most hobbyist drones (vs. 'toys') made within the past 5 years or so are nearly all equipped with VPS (visual positioning system) and are able to fly in ATTI mode (manual flight). No "hacking" is required. Either activated by a switch on the controller or will switch to ATTI automatically if GPS signals are lost.

That's always exciting for a moment.🤣

Earlier drones it would be more hit and miss, but a great many have been VPS and ATTI capable nearly since their introduction. It's just more "normalized" now that nearly all do.

Civilian GPS is not "pinpoint" accurate and VPS is relied upon to assist with stabilization and landing even when flying in GPS mode.

Actually, some drones these days also have the ability to disable their VPS, too. One of the drawbacks to flying with only VPS in ATTI mode (no GPS) is that VPS requires some amount of lighting in order to detect ground patterns as a visual positioning reference. Some flight software you can fly in ATTI mode, but if lighting is not adequate it will limit your altitude so it can maintain it's visual ground reference or simply auto land your drone if there is no detectable visual reference at all.

Within this thread I think the main issue would be if the gooberment turned off civilian GPS and forced all operators to fly in ATTI mode. If it's something you haven't practiced and gotten proficient at then many folks will find themselves grounded. Of course, there is also the option of simply entering a pre planned flight pattern and letting the drone just fly itself with it's VPS system and onboard sensors. In the event of electronic jamming, that's what you would have to do, anyway.... and simply review the video footage after the drone has landed. No "real time" video feed would be possible.

I hear what you are saying and agree to a point.

However...
In the military you also earn awards , medals , qualification badges , tabs and the like....all of which can show off your flare ...
So to speak.
Some folks earn 'em...others don't.

With that said....
My combat ribbons , awards and medals earned though my individual actions weren't done for flare.
And ain't to be taken lightly.
Arguably ....my Air Assault badge...Parachutist Badge / "Jump Wings" and Ranger tab...while earned for many different reasons...
Could have a little "flare" thrown in....:D
Andy
Yes. I was speaking of "accommodations" the military branches are making for more non-traditional behavior and dress. What you and the other fine folks earned as far as stripes, badges, ribbons, awards and patches was not what I was talking about. Those illustrate your service, that needs to be displayed proudly.

I'm skating around the subject, if you couldn't tell, and I have an idea you know what I'm really talking about without saying what I'm really talking about.

Gotta disagree there. While that's true in a number of countries, it's not here. Following LAWFUL orders is what soldiers, sailors, airmen and LE do. Of course in a country of 350 million there are exceptions.

But dont let Alex Jones convince you its 'all of them'. Thats a lie, propaganda, disinformation and intentionally designed to weaken the countries spirit (and sell products in his case).

I'm not worried about martial law. The active duty military, national guard, LE, are made up of US. You, me and Joe next door. I served next to them.

No, the threat to worry about is those that would go against that law. I say..FAFO.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top