JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Registered with who? Last I knew there was no registry in wa or OR.

Well I know that last year I had to recover a handgun that had been confiscated by the CCSO (long story involving ex wife and her ex felon boyfriend) and since I had purchased it in WA they were able to verify that I was the legal owner and returned it to me. The record had to have come from the LGS I purchased it from.

You were the last person to purchase the gun from an FFL. Nothing more. They just followed the paper trail.

It is not a registration system. That is something that we as a community are fighting against on state and federal level. We cannot perpetuate the myth that guns are "legally registered" because, just like calling ar-15s assault weapons, it becomes the standard.

Private sellers, can and do, make conditions for a sale. This is a right they have, but some make conditions out of ignorance and or a lack of knowledge of state laws.

What we have in the U.S. is a de facto registration system, in place already.

When a firearm is purchased from a FFL holder, the Feds and states like Oregon, keep those records FOREVER.

The problem is, that some politicians, want ALL firearms sales to go through an FFL holder. That way the states and federal gov, will know exactly which citizens own what firearms.

This is why certain politicians, want new laws that will make registration mandatory.
They want you to bring in, every firearm you own, so they can record the serial numbers and run another BG check on you, to make sure you qualify to own them.

Do your own check at the time of purchase, to make sure the firearms history is clean.

I am against any laws, that will prohibit the face to face sales, by private citizens.

You were the last person to purchase the gun from an FFL. Nothing more. They just followed the paper trail.

It is not a registration system. That is something that we as a community are fighting against on state and federal level. We cannot perpetuate the myth that guns are "legally registered" because, just like calling ar-15s assault weapons, it becomes the standard.

What "paper trail"? The gun was purchased in 2000 from a store in Battleground WA. The CCSO didn't know that all they had was a S/N. Eleven years later they were able to track the gun down to who purchased it in a matter of minutes.

Registered with who? Last I knew there was no registry in wa or OR.

WA does keep a record of sale...not a "registry" in the sense the weapon must be transfered like a car, but a record of sale by a licensed dealer. (also helps them make sure they collect their sales tax from the dealer).

However, I own a couple rifles that would give them fits...they were manufactured in the 1930s? (guess), but they do not have any serieal number on them...never have had. Serial Numbers were not required back then...my guess as to date of manufacture is based on model and patent dates on teh barrels...that is, they cannot have been manufactured before the latest patent day on the weapon, or after the next know patent date that model is known to have.

No, you cannot do a BGC, but you can do a SN check
So doesn't this contradict what you've written?
ORS said:
166.436 Firearm transfers by persons other than gun dealers; criminal background checks authorized; liability. (1) The Department of State Police shall make the telephone number established under ORS 166.412 (5) available for requests from persons other than gun dealers for criminal background checks under this section.
EDIT: Didn't see someone else posted the same thing before I did.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top