JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sure...just like anything...there will be highs and lows in sales.

With that said...
When looking at new guns online...I see a lot that are listed but out of stock.
Difficult to buy something which ain't in stock or available.

Many of the new buyers that I have seen or talked to...
Aren't really into firearms.
They are purpose driven...and now have a , as in single firearm that seemingly suits their purpose.
So , from their point of view , why should they buy another firearm...?

Both of the above may account for the drop in sales.
Andy

It was no surprise to anybody, but not mentioned in the article, that one of the reasons there was a sharp increase in sales during 2020-2021 was the rapid influx of $ from government payouts/subsidies to individuals/families.

Most of that is gone now. So sales decrease somewhat.

I wouldn't say that is a collapse, but anybody in the industry would know that it was going to happen.

No surprise to anyone who has been in the gun game more than 2 years. Also, prices on guns seem to have gone up a lot (like everything else) and I just can't bring myself to buy at the higher prices yet. I am just now starting to re-align my ammo buying with the new normal prices.

People are getting worried about the economy. It is not headed in a good direction. We could be in for some rough times soon.

Edit. Save your money unless you find really good deals. If the antis lose House and or Senate in Nov. we are going to have some great black Friday deals coming our way.

Last Edited:
Gun sales, car sales, bitcoin, heavy equipment sales, ect. Stimulus money and tax returns are now a thing of the past for this year. Now most people are trying to keep what they have.

With recent SCOTUS rulings, curious to see what magazine future sales will look like.

I don't believe it's so much that sales are "collapsing" so much as returning to pre panic normalized levels. It's all part of the repeating cycles over time that are perfectly "normal". I'm quit sure that's why so many mfg's haven't gone to great lengths to increase production capability. Enjoy the period of high demand and thick gravy train, but realizing it will wane and wouldn't be able to support any long term mass mfg capability expansions.

Soon enough... the panic mode will set in yet again for a rinse and repeat of the past year or two.

Last Edited:
I am still waiting for prices to come down more. I have seen good to "premium" defensive handgun ammo come down to almost pre-pandemic prices (e.g., 60-80 CPR for new Gold Dot, HST, Hydra-Shok, etc.).
Ya, I think prices are turning around, but 14cpr 9mm and 21cpr 5.56 is not coming back any time soon. Inflation, labor, raw materials and no more dirt cheap Russian ammo to compete with will keep it from getting back to that, but I think pinking/range 9mm and 5.56 will return to 25/35 cpr respectively at some point in the next 2-3 years once things settle back to normal (and we get the Dems back out of control)

Reasons for the slowdown are not as clear as those that explained the surge reported last year.
Well the pandemic is largely over-ish and I can't help but notice that the roving bands of rioting, looting, pillaging, burning, murdering, leftist mobs of 2020, seem to be taking the summer off, so that may account for the decline. It's not really so much of a decline as it is things moving back towards "normal" until the next catastrophe. I really thought the overturning of Roe was going to kick things off again. But I'm happy I was wrong about that, of course.

I really thought the overturning of Roe was going to kick things off again. But I'm happy I was wrong about that, of course.
I wouldn't tick that off just yet. It's still smoldering and as gas prices and general commodity prices continue to climb, the temperatures go up, power outages and water shortages start kicking in.... it'll be ripe for a fanning of the flames over one excuse or another. The Roe overturn works.... I bet.

Vendors can't sell what they don't have.

Go shop for a new Ford F series truck and you'll find that you likely have to order one, and without a few options as the parts are unavailable.
Plastics, depending on the type are also seeing a sourcing problem.
Chips of all kinds are in short supply - Synology permanently retired a surveillance device solely because a chip manufacturer said they would never have the chips again, quite a few Kickstarter campaign type products have been delayed for 1-2 years with likely further delays.
Tesla has a chip issue (we ordered a Model X in August of 2021 with ETA May 2022, then July 2022, now Feb-March 2023), as does GM with 95,000 vehicles 99% complete and sitting in wait for chips, with Ford in a similar situation.
Many materials needed for the construction of a house are harder to come by as well - especially some of the electrical items - for whatever reason, this is much worse in some regions than others.
Some heavy equipment vendors are charging a surplus (call it a tariff, if you want) on steel since last year.

Obviously the firearms themselves are a different animal, but the production of them still requires machinery that may be seeing some of these same issues.

People bought during covid and soaked up a lot of the market. I think most people are just flat out of money for guns with high fuel prices and summer being here. High rent and food cost has definitely played a role in it ad well. The supply shortage and high ammo prices keeps a lot of people from buying new calibers as getting ammo sucks. Once we get closer to mid terms there will be another scare and everything will be sold out. People will buy whatever the can last minute. As said before things went back to normal for now.

It could be possible as well that the SCOTUS opinion might have breathed in a little fresh hope that at least future rights might be preserved and even some reversals. That could let off a bit of the "buy now or never" pressure.

Still not a bad idea though to pick up "red" caliber ammo before the russian source pipelines dribbles out of the market for good. It's likely to be more than a minute for domestic production to refill that gap.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top