JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Remington 512 .22 rifle that I can't find a serial # on it. the date code says it was built in Oct. of 1945, my dad got it for a Christmas present when he was 14. seems to me there should be a serial # plainly visible. anybody have any insight?

On some of the 500 series as well as others, the serial number was stamped on the underside of the barrel about where it met the stock forward.
However, many rifles manufactured before 1968 did not have serial numbers. This would include your Remington model 512.

thanks for the info, I will take the stock off and have a peek. I wonder why they wouldn't have put a serial# on it. I have a 721 from 1955 and it has a serial#. I guess some things are just meant to be a mystery.

You shouldn't have to take it out of the stock. It will be visible just ahead of the end of the stock if it has one. Serial numbers are funny things sometimes. Speaking of the model 721. Some of the early guns have the serial numbers stamped on the inner rail inside the receiver. Not on the outer receiver ring as most appear. Why they did this, we will never know for sure.

You shouldn't have to take it out of the stock. It will be visible just ahead of the end of the stock if it has one. Serial numbers are funny things sometimes. Speaking of the model 721. Some of the early guns have the serial numbers stamped on the inner rail inside the receiver. Not on the outer receiver ring as most appear. Why they did this, we will never know for sure.
just looked, nothing there but dust.

The Federal Firearms Act of 1938 set up the requirement for firearms dealer licensing. And the requirement for the dealer to maintain records of firearms transactions. But the FFA didn't require serial numbers on firearms until 1958, and and even then, .22 rimfire was exempted. I believe shotguns must've been exempt post 1958 as well but I can't support reference to that. The Gun Control Act of 1968 required that all firearms have a serial number.

Remington's system of coding a date was for their own purposes. Like to tell when a gun had been made for parts purposes in case there had been changes, for example.

I have a Marlin Model 56, that is the .22 LR Levermatic. It was very early production in 1955, it has a serial number on a steel receiver. Very shortly after mine was made, the factory deleted the inclusion of serial numbers on this model. I guess someone in the front office figured they could save XX amount per rifle by not stamping / recording a SN. That wasn't required by law.

My Remington 341-P made in 1936 is .22 LR and has a serial number. Stamped on the barrel about mid-way along. I didn't notice this for the first several years that I owned it. Not seeing a number on the receiver, I erroniously thought it lacked one as being pre-1968. I've also had a Rem. Mod. 514, made circa 1960, it did not have a serial number anywhere.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top