JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I happened to be going through my PM's and I realized that out of the 10 or so items I intended to buy, I got ghosted by the seller 6-7 out of the 10 times. So I went back further and that seems to be a pretty common theme for me.
I am a member of several forums, and this is the only one where Sellers seem to routinely seem to just stop talking, never get back, or ignore follow ups. And these aren't fly by night members.

Is the common denominator me? Or have other potential buyers been experiencing this as well?

What length of time we talking. Hours, days, weeks.

Some don't always come on all the time.

I'd say 24 hours is a reasonable time to give someone to reply. After that if they aren't giving you the time of day, it's best to move on.

It can be hard, especially if the item is priced will and your in the buying mood, but buying guns and gun stuff is getting slower and slower these days.

If I don't hear from someone I click on their Avatar and see when the last time they were on the forum. If they have been on since the last communication and still not responded I move on.

Like I said it is mostly just this forum. I can understand if they find a buyer with a higher price, or they get busy for a few days, we all have jobs.
But sometimes the items are still up for sale? I have even seen the price on the listing go lower than what I offered.

And I am only speaking of situations where discussion has happened, and gone far enough that the final price is being agreed on and either shipping or meet up arrangements are being made. Then poof, never hear anything more.

I am clearly missing something here, not that there is a universal answer. It is just strange.

When you message the seller, are you asking questions that are clearly answered in the ad?

As a seller, I can't tell you how many times I've got this. My usual response....I'm not replying to you.

I guess I've had good luck. People are pretty responsive, even just to say... sorry, someone already got it. Then again, I don't do a lot of "shopping" and only browse the most recent posts.

UNTIL.. this time! Sent a PM within minutes, waited 2 days for a reply... nothing... sent a follow up PM to ask if it was still available... another day and a half later now, still silence and no activity on the listing.

I know he logs in at least twice daily (morning and evening) each day. Nearly 40 feedback so he's not new to the game.

I understand folks have different motivations, but I don't think some sellers stop and think. If you can't be bothered to at least be courteous to your potential customer pool, I'm pretty sure they'll remember and won't be knocking on your door again for any future items you might want to sell.

It costs you nothing to be courteous, but it might if you're not. To each their own.

Last Edited:
I always get my phone # in the first message exchange. If texts go back and forth, the odds of getting a deal together are good.
If it's just over the forum, not so much.
Our culture again. Look at the eBay listings who are sick and tired of non-paying bidders. Yet, it is almost impossible to get some of the sellers to answer simple questions. It's MY doggoned money they want! I'm starting to think all that stuff about "an evil and corrupt generation" is spot on. OK, I know it is.

I've had conversations ghosted on both sides of a potential transaction. I'm often not super quick to respond, I just have a lot of other things going on. I also tend not to respond to member with none or 1-3 rated transactions messages on items I'm selling due to having a much higher level of flakiness. Not a knock to all low rated members, we all started out that way. I have noticed an uptick in conversations that just don't go anywhere. A couple questions, a couple answers and then nothing. YMMV.

It seems buying and selling activities for guns/acc/ammo have really slowed down lately in general from the last 2 years. There are some really great items at excellent prices for sale in the classifieds that just don't seem to be moving. Now that it seems the world is not going to end in 6 months, I would venture a guess that many folks are realigning their buying habits with the inflation and economic slump. Gas and food price increases continue to squeeze many budgets leading to less available capital for non-essential purchases.

I suspect many folks who would otherwise be buying are hibernating in this economic environment.

One effect of the higher gas prices, it has made me severely dial back the distance I would drive for a transaction. What was worth the drive when gas was $3.50 is no longer worth it when gas is $5.50.

Send a message with your number and leave it at that. If they wanna move the item they will reach out. Pretty simple really.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top