JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know the bead is quicker and more versatile if you get good at it, but I like this. I just think they're real neat.
My receiver was not tapped, so I had to breakout the slide micrometer and XY vise on the drill press. Ordered #29 wire gauge drill bit, 1/8th was a hair too small for the cutting edges of the tap to grab, so it just pulled the first thread turn or two out. Just a heads up for anyone else tapping a 8-40 or 8- anything and may stumble on this in a further search.
I used epoxy and drilled a relief in the front sight block for additional surface area and mechanical retention. If this fails, I will update, but searches have not yielded any such updates by people who have done the front this way.

My next hop up on this old florida-man-pawnshop find would be a rifled slug barrel. I bought it as a pistol grip only model, I don't remember the name.. persuader? Cruiser? Marauder? I know it was something I could have put a shorter barrel and birdhead grip, as it wasn't sold as a "firearm" and not a shotgun/longgun. Threw some ebay wood on it.
About rifled barrels.. Haven't really found any while doing shallow level internet searches.. tips finding one or offers welcome. Are they legal in 12 ga at 18" or just too nonsensical to market? I'm not above cutting one down or having a longer barrel.

Shotguns aren't too high on my list of favorite guns types, so the ring and rifle post I think will help me a lot with getting on target. My only use of this outside of range fun is home defense, and the slightly wider spread with buckshot wouldn't be a huge negative to me. Thoughts welcome boys, what do you think?

IMG_20230415_221007.jpg

Last Edited:
Rifled slug bbls are around, but vary wildly in price. Buying one new , at retail would be silly. Never seen one under 20" in either 12 or 20 ga. , and honestly can't imagine they would be offered in shorter length.
Another thing to factor in. If you have rifling in the barrel, your buying sabot slugs only. Maybe do a price check on those rounds before heading down that particular road.

One of my requirements when I picked the Mossberg 590A1 was a ghost ring sight. The 20" barrel and ghost ring makes a good turkey gun.

Bead is faster, ghost ring is for a better shot.

Rifled slug bbls are around, but vary wildly in price. Buying one new , at retail would be silly. Never seen one under 20" in either 12 or 20 ga. , and honestly can't imagine they would be offered in shorter length.
Another thing to factor in. If you have rifling in the barrel, your buying sabot slugs only. Maybe do a price check on those rounds before heading down that particular road.
You have immediately made everything much clearer. I did not know that rifled barrels don't shoot slugs.

My police trade in 870 has iron sights and smooth bore barrel if that makes you feel any better.

I believe the governor and judge both have rifled barrels and I've seen YouTube vids of the amount of spread they have because of it so unless you think you'll only be 6' away from your target you might actually miss more then hit with 9 pellets.

0000 buck has 27 so you might want to consider that if you go rifled.

Rifled sights on a smoothbore compact barrel for the win
Absolutely. With those sights and regular foster slugs I'd be surprised if you didn't get 2-3" groups at 50 yds off a sandbag. Put a sandbag, ideally lead shot, between your shoulder and gun butt if you like your retinas.

Lol

Absolutely. With those sights and regular foster slugs I'd be surprised if you didn't get 2-3" groups at 50 yds off a sandbag. Put a sandbag, ideally lead shot, between your shoulder and gun butt if you like your retinas.

Lol
Can you explain what you're saying here about a sandbag of lead shot?

My police trade in 870 has iron sights and smooth bore barrel if that makes you feel any better.

I believe the governor and judge both have rifled barrels and I've seen YouTube vids of the amount of spread they have because of it so unless you think you'll only be 6' away from your target you might actually miss more then hit with 9 pellets.

0000 buck has 27 so you might want to consider that if you go rifled.
I'm off the rifled idea now that it's been pointed out I had no idea how they're used.
Police/military sights is all I trained on, I just couldn't for the life of me pick up the bead and aim it in any practical amount of time. I figured why train away from what I'm already good at?

Can you explain what you're saying here about a sandbag of lead shot?
For accuracy testing, benchresting or sandbagging (they are both the same) is often done. The mass of a 25 pound bag of shot placed between the shoulder and buttstock will reduce felt recoil markedly.

RDS with rifle BUIS on a smoothbore compact barrel for the win.

View attachment 1406209
Titsonritz: "do you even operate, bro?"
F'n COOL. I can't go that hard, without removing the rear sight, but at least now I could put a rail on, since this is drilled to match the rails available for 500s. I think I have an old weaver side mount kicking around and a weaver qwik-point in the parts box (joking)(ok but I do have these)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top