JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Often after shooting at the range, I'll do a few quick self defense drills. My 11 year old wants to start doing a few more active drills too, but feels a little intimidated. He's becoming fairly competent with shoot, mag change shoot, and a few other simple drills. He primarily shoots a 1911, and for drills shoots a 1911/22 and ruger 22/45. He's a very safe shooter, so what are some other drills that would be age/skill level appropriate?

Great going Dad!!! Getting kids trained is important and too many folks leave them out of the loop until it is too late.

I have a few drills in mind; but first, what is your home defense plan that will involve the kids? You cannot depend on the kids understanding your commands from the MBR when someone invades your house a 4 A.M. The last thing you want is the kids to be wandering around the house during a home invasion event. You cannot be talking to 911, staying on the phone with the Emergency Services Operator so their recorded conversation with you will serve as a record in court, and rescuing the kids at the same time.

The plan can simply be for an alarm to be sounded - a small air horn can work to alert the whole house with one blast and what each family is to do when that horn blares in the middle of the night.

Next, the kids need to secure their bedroom, which could be easily accomplished with a door bar or wedge or other security device. It needs to be simple so I use the Master Lock 265D door security bar. When we lived in Arizona with our son, I gave him an air horn to signal he was secure.

I have them in my own home securing both doors into the master suite and one on the door leading from the garage to mudroom. Easy to position, kick into a secured position, and simple to disengage that my 5 year old grandson wants one for his birthday. Mom said, NO.

The 26662 Drill and the X-Drill from the late, great Todd Green's site - pistol-training.com » Drills are my favorite warmup drills and would work well for you and your youngster too. This site is great! Loads of drills created by the pros. You get challenged by these expert instuctors through their drills and you are able to downloadable their targets so you can print them at home to take to the range. -Enjoy

Depends upon the kid. Consider laying off any gun training for now. Instead go for the other 95% of self protection mindset and training. Remember a situation avoided is best, Disengagement tactics. Running away. Hiding. Hand to hand. Consider whatever weapon that comes to hand.

Used to be any kid worth having was getting trained up from the age of 5 or so. A dangerous past. History. Nothing has really changed. Go slow. Go easy. Most of it is mental.

Might want more real world defense training.

How often is your kid at school carrying a firearm?

What do they do with a school shooter?
Or robbery?
Teach him what items that are in his class room can be used as weapons.
Teach them pressure points, dis-arming,
Weight and leverage.
If he's fighting over a gun, how to drops the mag and rack it to unload it during a struggle.

Don't just teach them to shoot, teach them how to survive when a shooting happens and he has no weapon.

Taco lean. My bad. I did not explain fully. Deep past history. Hundreds of years ago. Dangerous times for all. Rich and high born trained their kids very early. Strategy. Tactics. Edged weapons. Knives. Daggers. Swords. At the time martial arts. Hand to hand. Sword fighting back then was a very serious business.

Not so much firearms. Most rich and high born had body guards. They needed them. Hard times. Bad food could kill you. Common diseases did kill you. Stabbings were fatal. Poor medical interventions. Life was short and brutal. The average swordsman then would eat us alive today. Today with firearms the reverse.

"To Keep And Bear Arms" meant more than firearms. Personal protection and the absolute inalienable right thereof. This included ALSO everything and anything needed to throw off a tyrannical bad government. Including cannons and ships. Strict interpretation of the Second Amendment is very necessary. Quite scary.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top