JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, It's been a while. I found a guy willing to machine the barrel hole, and I've assembled the rifle. It works good.

My only complaint is that it doesn't like to let go of the stock magazines. I think after I take a few thousand in and out, it'll get better. You don't notice it with the large capacity mags b/c you have more to grip.

I haven't really had the chance to dial it in, but I got it good enough for plinking and it hits what I shoot at. I think with some good tuning, and a trigger job, it could be a tack driver.

Thank you guys for your support and interest. It's nice to put this one to bed for a while.

Happy shooting!

Custom1022BipCropped.JPG

Well, It's been a while. I found a guy willing to machine the barrel hole, and I've assembled the rifle. It works good.

My only complaint is that it doesn't like to let go of the stock magazines. I think after I take a few thousand in and out, it'll get better. You don't notice it with the large capacity mags b/c you have more to grip.

I haven't really had the chance to dial it in, but I got it good enough for plinking and it hits what I shoot at. I think with some good tuning, and a trigger job, it could be a tack driver.

Thank you guys for your support and interest. It's nice to put this one to bed for a while.

Happy shooting!

I was looking at these Select Fire Razor receivers as well (I agree, that is a poor choice of company names). I was doing some web research on them and stumbled onto this forum. I was thinking about buying their 80% receiver not because I'm against FFLs but because my youngest son (16) has shown an interest in gunsmithing. He has already done a couple of stock builds and done a nice trigger job on just about everything else in the house (that I would let him touch). I'm disappointed in hearing that this really isn't something a DIYer could do. Did you purchase the drilling jig or drill set they sell? Were you able to complete the rest of the fabrication other then the barrel hole or did you have the machinist complete it all? How much did the machinist charge you? Thanks for any input you can provide.

I bought the drill jig, the barrel hole locator, and drill set. I bought two receivers. The first one I tried to drill myself on a drill press. I screwed it up. The second one, I found a machinist willing to drill the barrel hole for me, he showed interest in finishing it, so I let him. Basically, you NEED a Vertical Mill to finish it properly. One with a digital readout is a big plus. Then you need a boring tool to cut the barrel hole. You could use a drill and a reamer, but my machinist recommends a boring tool. The drill jig is very useful for drilling the magazine detent, b/c it's hard to locate without it. The drawing indicates a 3° angle on the detent, but my machinist said the drawing is wrong and called the manufacture to confirm it, and then drilled the detent at 1.5°. The drill jig takes care of that angle for you.

So what they (select fire) don't tell you up front, is that you NEED a Mill to do the barrel hole. You can easily do everything else with the drill jig and a drill press. Once you get the part, they indicate that finding a machinist to drill the barrel hole is no big deal. I found that to be untrue. Most machinists won't touch it.

Bottom line, it was a fun and educational process. I'm currently working on a Complete CNC'd receiver (barrel hole and everything), for my own personal use. It's one of those projects where you just accept that fact that you're investing in your education and experience, not in a gun.

Gotta admit, every time I looked at doing an 80% I could never figure out where the upside was supposed to come from... I'm not a prohibited person, when it's cheaper (usually by a factor of 2 or more) to simply buy a gun off the shelf, doing an 80% never made any sense.

on the other hand, I do have a bunch of 10% Ar-15 receivers I paid $10 each for... now that was a deal. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to finishing one of them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top