JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello everyone,

I have a Select Fire 10/22 80% receiver that needs finished. Specifically, I need someone in the Portland area willing to drill the barrel hole for me. This procedure requires a Vertical milling machine with a digital readout. I learned the hard way on another receiver that a drill press isn't accurate enough for this operation. I've asked a few machine shops and they both told me to go to a gunsmith. I am willing to compensate fairly.

You can't do it unless you are a class 3 manufacturer or maybe if it's a dealer sample (Meaning you are a class 3 dealer) with required LE paperwork and BATF approval

With 5 posts here this is very suspicious

You can't do it unless you are a class 3 manufacturer or maybe if it's a dealer sample (Meaning you are a class 3 dealer) with required LE paperwork and BATF approval

Why do you say this is suspicious?

I should make this clear, it is NOT a full-auto conversion or anything like that. it is a fancy 10/22 with a integrated picatinny rail. In retrospect, I would've just bought a Tactical innovations or Valquartsen (sp) receiver, but like I said, they made it sound really simple.

It looks like "Select Fire" is just the company/brand name. It isn't select fire as in machine guns.

Kind of cool but considering a 10/22 is only $180 at Bi-mart, I think I'll stick with a complete factory receiver.

It looks like "Select Fire" is just the company/brand name. It isn't select fire as in machine guns.

Kind of cool but considering a 10/22 is only $180 at Bi-mart, I think I'll stick with a complete factory receiver.

I don't recommend this method for getting a 10/22. I did it for the learning experience. In the end, I'll have a 100% custom gun. The ridiculous part is that I'll have $600 wrapped up into this 10/22.

Why do you say this is suspicious?

I should make this clear, it is NOT a full-auto conversion or anything like that. it is a fancy 10/22 with a integrated picatinny rail. In retrospect, I would've just bought a Tactical innovations or Valquartsen (sp) receiver, but like I said, they made it sound really simple.

Yes, you should make it clear (cause it wasn't) and most of us have never heard of the brand.. it's an unfortunate name and people have been killed by BATF for less of a misunderstanding

I don't recommend this method for getting a 10/22. I did it for the learning experience. In the end, I'll have a 100% custom gun. The ridiculous part is that I'll have $600 wrapped up into this 10/22.

$600 in a 10/22? Heck---$200 for a 10/22 to start, $200 for a decent barrel, $100 for some trigger goodies, $150 for
a spiffy stock---there's $650 and we haven't even mentioned optics.

I'm sorry, but the route you chose to go, and for a reciever from a company that noone has heard of seems like a total P.I.T.A. for something that could have been bought and paid for without drilling. Kind of like the guys that buy a milling-machine just so they can buy an 80% AR reciever to forgo an ffl... Idunno guys.

I have heard of this guy and chatted with him on another forum, from what I can tell this is a neat build and you do end up with a quality build, if you build guns you get it if you don't everything seems to be a pain to those that don't, this is rather a simple build with the jig, and it's a .22 not exactly a headspace nightmare and as far as forgoing the FFL, it's legal as long as he is not building to sell and frankly as an avid firearms owner I am sick to the stomach of the overtaxing and BS that our state "WA" and others have used FFL transfers in another way of feeing us to death.. it's legal, it's fun and you get a satisfaction out of it..
build it!

I've been considering doing the same thing with a Razor 80% receiver myself. I manage a manufacturing plant so I figured if I got in too deep I'd have a machinist help me out. Let me know how it goes if you get through it.

Here's an update,

I found a machinist to finish the receiver. It turned out good, at least good enough to assemble. I put it together with a tactical innovations bull barrel, a Select Fire (name brand) Bolt assembly, and a Ruger trigger group. I'm hoping for 1" groups at 75 yards. Is that reasonable? Does anyone know what a factory Ruger 10/22 will do? Thanks for the interest. I may post some pictures later.

It all depends on what you like to build, my wife wishes all I would build is 22's, I am happy right now with my two stock 10/22 with scopes too.. but I think it would be fun machining my own receiver... and like with my other builds, once you have the jigs, why not make more or have build parties... my goodness I wish we had those out here like other parts of the country.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top