JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just thought I'd share my little restoration project of a Colt Mustang Nitelite in case anyone is interested. I'll give some before pics and some in progress pics. Then, if all goes to plan, the final, after pics. And yes, I know that refinishing a rare gun may lower it's value somewhat.:s0002: For me, I'd rather have something that I can use, and not just sit in the safe. It's my gun, and I'll do with it what I please. So, neener neener.:s0121: It's been a fun project so far.

Here's a few before pics that were taken by the previous owner:

qDxVrqZ.jpg
t8CAfCn.jpg
CxpgBmo.jpg

And here's my progress so far:

OdZtliE.jpg
0L2m14l.jpg
4kbo8vJ.jpg
mgPEv2q.jpg

The slide is complete. I bead blasted the top, front, and back of the slide and buffed the scratches/abrasions from the sides (flats). I also bead blasted the entire extractor to clean it up. Carbon deposits don't stand a chance against pressurized glass beads, lol. Then, I polished the feed ramp, muzzle, and hood of the barrel. Also, I replaced the plastic guide rod with a stainless steel one, replaced the recoil springs, and replaced the damaged rear sight with a new one.

Here's the disassembled frame (mostly, that is. waiting on a cup tip punch to arrive, so I can remove the trigger and disconnector):

Iq6FOOa.jpg
kReeGk4.jpg
fmOMZJC.jpg

That's about it for now. Once my punch set arrives, I'll remove the trigger and disconnector. Then I'll bead blast the entire frame, and spray it with a couple or few coats of a special clear coat to protect the alloy. I've got a new stainless trigger on the way as well, to replace the crappy plastic one that Colt thought was a good idea for these Mustangs, for some reason.:s0092:

Colt used a plastic trigger as part of the "lite" program. I had a Lightweight Commander and not only was the trigger plastic, so was the mainspring housing.

and not only was the trigger plastic, so was the mainspring housing.
Yep, and the one on my LW Commander was arched - and because I prefer arched I swapped out the steel flat one on my FS 1911 with the plastic arched - and then later traded the Commander off and forgot to swap them back - so my 1911 has the plastic, arched MSH.....

I keep thinking about replacing it with a steel one but just haven't yet. Maybe I'll find a one used for sale sometime, or remember to look for one at the next gun show I go to.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top