JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One of my friends also suggested a Savage bolt action. I'm only hesitant since I have to pull a lever every time I want to shoot before pulling the trigger, but I've also never used a gun like that before so it may be more fun then what I am imagining.

My main intention is for plinking but that's just because I'm just getting started. Who knows where this will go! There's so many fun opportunities! A friend also said that .22 can get "boring" relatively quickly (he's also a major gun enthusiast) so just to make sure, regardless you suggest something like a bolt action or rugar 10/22 and then go more intense like an AR?

It's really important that I'm smart about this. I'm really excited and it would be really unfortunate to make a wrong choice. Also, what are your recommendations on a used or new rifle?

I won't forget the other stuff either. Thank you! Do you have a good website in mind that would be good for getting a case and supplies? As well as accessories? Also, any suggestion an specific accessories. If I do get something simple, I'd love to atleast make it look badass.

Lastly, thank you very much for the time you took to write your reply. It is greatly appreciated!

A bolt action will help you to focus and make each shot coutn for tht very reason as every shot must count. Once that is ingrained you can move to a semiautomatic. By starting with a semiautomatic there is a STRONG likelihood that you will learn to waste ammo ala "spray and pray". Without discipline you will never reach your full potential.

I mostly do reactive shooting. I make every shot count and in a defenesive situation situation I'd hate to be be opposite myself. Discipline first, last and always.

A bolt action will help you to focus and make each shot coutn for tht very reason as every shot must count. Once that is ingrained you can move to a semiautomatic. By starting with a semiautomatic there is a STRONG likelihood that you will learn to waste ammo ala "spray and pray". Without discipline you will never reach your full potential.

I mostly do reactive shooting. I make every shot count and in a defenesive situation situation I'd hate to be be opposite myself. Discipline first, last and always.
Thank you!! This is great advice.

Lot's of opinions, but ultimately you're the one who has to be happy with what you get. Everything is also budget dependent.

If I were you, and I knew what I know now, I'd get a AR15 from a reliable manufacturer, but not one that broke the bank. I wouldn't pay more than about $500 for it personally, Palmetto State Armory comes to mind. Then I would buy the CMMG .22lr BCG conversion when it's on sale for about $150.

Then for about $650, you'd have a rifle you could 'plink' with, and it could also be used for other reasons simply by switching out the BCG and the magazine.

I'd get a Sig Romeo 5 sight for about $120 on sale, I'd buy a stack of Pmags for about $8 a piece,10 or so, and then I would buy a brick of .22lr ammo, several boxes of .223 and then I'd sit on my money and not buy anything for quite a while.

Total set up, $850 not including ammo.

Comparatively you could get a Ruger 10/22 for let's say $250, that's a significant savings right up front, but you'd undoubtedly end up getting more in the future as the 10/22 would always stay a 'plinker.' The benefit of going the route that I suggested is you are able to use it for plinking as you have enjoyed in the past with friends, but also have a rifle that could lead into other roles, 'tactical classes / competitions,' Home defense, fulfilling your civic duty as an American to be properly equipped and trained sufficiently to serve as militia, ;) etc.

There's a tendency when you get into buying to keep buying, more accessories, more parts, more things, the problem is with limited experience you'll find most things you buy you'll end up not liking in the long run, or finding something better that you prefer more. Better off to keep the purchases simple at first and gain experience, then decide future procurement paths.

The concerns of others about going with a semi-auto are valid, without discipline, they become just bullet hoses where the shooter is gaining no actual practice or skill from the rounds they are firing, but if you are aware of that tendency and apply yourself to what your goals are, the point of buying anything but a semi-auto initially would be more of a waste of money than a necessary first step.

Edit to add: this all depends on your age, I grew up shooting since the time I was 4 years old. I was well practiced with a ruger 10/22 by the time I turned 18. I think the 10/22 is THE best semi-auto to teach others on initially, but if it comes down to purchasing 1 or the other, I'd take the AR and a conversion BCG because of the multi-role it will serve.

Lot's of opinions, but ultimately you're the one who has to be happy with what you get. Everything is also budget dependent.

If I were you, and I knew what I know now, I'd get a AR15 from a reliable manufacturer, but not one that broke the bank. I wouldn't pay more than about $500 for it personally, Palmetto State Armory comes to mind. Then I would buy the CMMG .22lr BCG conversion when it's on sale for about $150.

Then for about $650, you'd have a rifle you could 'plink' with, and it could also be used for other reasons simply by switching out the BCG and the magazine.

I'd get a Sig Romeo 5 sight for about $120 on sale, I'd buy a stack of Pmags for about $8 a piece,10 or so, and then I would buy a brick of .22lr ammo, several boxes of .223 and then I'd sit on my money and not buy anything for quite a while.

Total set up, $850 not including ammo.

Comparatively you could get a Ruger 10/22 for let's say $250, that's a significant savings right up front, but you'd undoubtedly end up getting more in the future as the 10/22 would always stay a 'plinker.' The benefit of going the route that I suggested is you are able to use it for plinking as you have enjoyed in the past with friends, but also have a rifle that could lead into other roles, 'tactical classes / competitions,' Home defense, fulfilling your civic duty as an American to be properly equipped and trained sufficiently to serve as militia, ;) etc.

There's a tendency when you get into buying to keep buying, more accessories, more parts, more things, the problem is with limited experience you'll find most things you buy you'll end up not liking in the long run, or finding something better that you prefer more. Better off to keep the purchases simple at first and gain experience, then decide future procurement paths.

The concerns of others about going with a semi-auto are valid, without discipline, they become just bullet hoses where the shooter is gaining no actual practice or skill from the rounds they are firing, but if you are aware of that tendency and apply yourself to what your goals are, the point of buying anything but a semi-auto initially would be more of a waste of money than a necessary first step.
I love this. Thank you so much for your advice! I will take it into high consideration!! I really like your outlook on the semi-auto. I will definitely be taking my time with each shot and be in awareness if I don't get "trigger happy". This was very specific and thorough . I appreciate your time!

I love this. Thank you so much for your advice! I will take it into high consideration!! I really like your outlook on the semi-auto. I will definitely be taking my time with each shot and be in awareness if I don't get "trigger happy". This was very specific and thorough . I appreciate your time!
So I don't get trigger happy*

Welcome.

As you may have noticed, asking 'What gun do you recomend?' is much like going to an antique car show and asking 'Which is better, Ford or Chevy?'

Get some safety instruction. (Newbies that get safety stuff right, get respect!)

Try a lot of guns! Some you will like, some you won't.

In a few years you'll be the one people come to with gun questions.

Welcome.

As you may have noticed, asking 'What gun do you recomend?' is much like going to an antique car show and asking 'Which is better, Ford or Chevy?'

Get some safety instruction. (Newbies that get safety stuff right, get respect!)

Try a lot of guns! Some you will like, some you won't.

In a few years you'll be the one people come to with gun questions.
Haha that's true. Indeed I plan to enjoy several guns throughout my life. Might as well get started now :D

A
Thank you for the advice!! Several of my friends have suggested either a rugar 10/22, a savage bolt action, and a AR15 5.56 (especially for the multi-caliber option) I am completely torn! Also, what do you mean when you reference upper and lower? Also, how much do you think this would cost alone for the gun and accessories you mentioned? Again, thank you so much for the reply!
An AR rifle consists of two main pieces. The lower which is the part that is registered, consists of the trigger control group and stock which goes against your shoulder
1FDB6A06-E54D-4B68-AAAC-D6F4D250B22A.jpeg
The upper consists of the bolt carrier group barrel and handguard
A9142043-EDB0-4A46-8E18-3EABC3D61082.jpeg
By pushing two pins on the lower the pieces can be separated. The uppers can be bought and sold freely with no background checks or registration and many different types can be pinned on to one mil spec lower to make shoot different cartridges including 22lr. A good Ar15 in 5.56 can be had for under $500 right now. Checking on the Cmmg uppers they have gone up lately I think I paid about $400 but they are now $475 or so. Plus you will need some 22lr mags for it. So for around a grand you could set yourself up with the package. Not the cheapest option but your training with the 22 upper would have same ergos as the .556 version

Welcome from the gun-totin old broad contingent.

A .22 rifle is a great place to start. The traditional way to start used to be on a bolt action .22 rifle. However, the Ruger 10/22 semi-auto is so good and so affordable that that is what I recommend as a first gun these days.

Get good hearing protection and use it. Most serious shooters ruin their hearing if they dont use hearing protection practicing. And with larger calibers, without hearing protection its easy to develop a flinch.

I'd suggest a .22 handgun as the second gun. There are plenty of places you cant take a rifle without upsetting people. Aim to include a handgun in your repertoire as early as possible. As soon as you're familiar with it, take one of the appropriate courses and get your concealed handgun license.

Initially, cheap ammo is a major consideration, as you cant get good without lots of practice. So .22. is great. And you can easily carry a lot of it when back packing or camping. For handguns, I'd start with a .357 mag revolver, which also all shoot cheap .38 special ammo. In semiauto handguns I'd start with 9 mm semiauto. After .22, .38 sp and 9 mm are the least expensive handgun ammos.

Some time before you get totally tied to semi-auto handguns, get or arrange to try a SW 686 revolver with a 6 inch barrel. You can use cheap .38 special loads to practice with and step up from .22. And .357 mag loads for hunting and self defense. (All .357 mag revolvers also shoot .38sp, but not the reverse. .38 sp is not really .38 inches wide. Its really .357 inches wide.) The 686 with a 6 inch barrel is a classic woods gun. Most handgun hunters shoot revolvers. And a full size 686 with .38sp ammo has so little recoil its barely more than a. 22. You can graduate to .357 mag loads when ready, and hunt anything up to deer.

Full size guns are usually better quality and easier to shoot accurately than smaller or lighter guns. They are also much more pleasant to shoot.

I suggest sticking with well known popular makes and models for which there are lots of accessories.

Convertibility between .22 and other calibers is less useful than you might think. .22 recoils much less than other calibers. So the guns can be built much lighter and more comfortable to carry. A gun designed for a larger caliber but carrying a .22 conversion is much heavier than a .22 needs to be. And a .22 conversion kit really isnt much practice for the heavier caliber, since a big part of things with heavier calibers is handling the recoil. This is why most people have separate 22s instead of .22 conversion kits on their centerfire rifles or pistols.

I think one early goal should be becoming familiar with every type of action. In handguns at least double action (DA) revolvers and a few different kinds of semiautos. You also want some experience shooting excellent guns so you have some standards of comparison. These days there are ranges where you can rent various guns for an amazingly modest fee. While playing with your 10/22 on your own you might rent lots of additional guns with different action types at a range to see what you like. And take courses if you can. An experienced trainer can help prevent your developing flaws in technique or safety.

welcome to a lifetime of safe and happy shooting.

I'm not big on having one gun play a bunch of roles. It would be my luck and I would need it to do A, but have it configured to do B. I prefer my guns to be like a set of golf clubs where each club in the bag has a purpose. If I need a 22, I want a dedicated 22. AR15s are so customizable that you could have a whole "golf bag" full of ARs for different purposes.

If I were brand new to shooting, I'd start out just like my Dad had me start out, with a couple tweeks. I started with a single shot 22 and then got a 10/22. I would probably start with a Ruger American Rimfire bolt action in 22LR and then get a 10/22 to play dress-up. Both take the same magazine and serve their own purpose. If I could only have one, then a 10/22 and force myself to shoot deliberately for a while to really learn.

I currently have a Ruger 77/22 bolt action and a 10/22 that give me magazine commonality, but that would be a far more expensive route.

Don't think that 22s aren't fun or as useful. I currently have five. A Lakefield/Savage single shot, a CZ455 with a scope, a Ruger 77/22 with open sights, a 10/22, and a Ruger MkII pistol.

What is your cup of tea if not semi-auto? And why?

Semi Auto rifles are fun to shoot...and are very popular....I have owned them and shot many a semi auto rifle , but
for how I shoot , what I shoot and for my enjoyment factor....I really like antique and traditional muzzelloading rifles.

If you want to shoot a rifle well , you will want to find a rifle that you like in looks and design and one that "fits" you...as well as a rifle that fits your shooting style...
Its always a good idea to try as many different rifles , of different operating actions and optics , both scope and iron sights...before buying.

At the end of the day its important that you are happy with your choices...all I ask of any gun owner is that they use their firearms safely.
Below is a picture of some of my muzzleloaders....all of the ones in this picture are antique and some still get used today.
Andy
DSC05463.jpg

If you 'have several friends who take you out shooting with them' you should probably know what you want by now.

As far as customizations like grips, lights, friken LASER beams, are generally a waste of $$ for a n00b IMO...

Just be aware that there is a whole quantum leap in cost between the .22 long rifle cartridge and the next centrefire cartridge, for most, the .223 Remington. Sure, you live in the USA where everything is just SOOOOOOOOO cheap compared with the rest of the world, shooting-wise anyhow, but although you might happily blast away a brick of 22 in an afternoon, shooting off 500 rounds of even the cheapest .223 is going to make a noticeable dent in your piggy bank.

Just saying from the experience of watching noobs jonesing over bigger calibre stuff, only to come down to earth with a big bump. Here in UK that can be a VERY painful experience after one of our noobs, happy as a clam with his .22, decided that life for him without a .303 was not worth living. At almost a dollar a shot, that got old pretty fast.

My $0.02.

My .02 worth what you paid for it, For a first rifle I'd recommend a bolt action .22. I know not the latest and greatest semi auto and not as "fun" as mag dumping a 10/22 but it will teach you the value of one shot one kill. When I go shooting the .22's with my son he's got a dolled up 10/22 and I've got a Savage bolt action with a nikon scope on it. We will shoot at spent shotgun shells at about 50 yards. He shoots fast with 50 round magazines and misses quite a lot, I shoot one at a time and don't miss. He likes to stand up the shells to present the biggest target while I like to lay them down so I can aim at the primer. Aim small, miss small works for me while spray and pray works for my son. I like to mag dump as well as the next person with someone else buying the ammo but one well placed shot has a effecentcy that appeals to my Scottish frugality. So bottom line, spend about $300.00 +/- on a good .22 bolt action rifle, about $200.00 +/- on a good scope made for .22 caliber, $100.00 on " gun stuff" and the rest on ammo and get good hitting what you shoot at, one shot at a time. I know this sounds pretty vanilla but it's a good starting point and the the correct number of guns is indeed, just one more.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top