JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I might throw out a second rifle suggestion. (First I would recommend is the first rifle I purchased. 10/22.) Ruger 17hmr bolt. Reason being is it is like shooting a tiny laser. They are flat and the gun is supremely accurate.

For rimfire I like the nikon rimfire scopes. I got mine for around $100. Foregrip is an extra I don't find that useful outside of applications unrelated to a .22.

IMO .22 conversion kits are fairly inaccurate, and frustrating. I'd go dedicated and get an AR and several uppers later. AR 15s are still fairly low recoil and easy to shoot.
The AR is actually what I have chosen. Although woudl the dedicated still allow for me to change barrels to shoot different calibers? Does dedicated just mean a dedicated upper?.. If so then that is ideal. I guess I'm still a little confused as what the conversion kits and dedicated are referring to whether upper or lower... Also, I just added an update to my post with the decision I have made but now I have one new questions regarding it. I'd love it if you could give some input on it and some suggestions.

I edited the original post. So up at the very top on page one.

Might be confusing for some reading the original post. Or frustrating for lazy people like me to go all the way back to page 1. Maybe you were thinking that you could save people from having to read the entire thread? IDK.

I'll go back again and take a look... get back to you if I have anything worthwhile to add. ;)

in case not mentioned yet an Ar15 with a .22 conversion kit. This way you can switch from .223 to .22 by switching out bolts and magazines. Problem with this a conversion kit almost cost as much as Ruger 10/22 but gives you an option to carry the kit in your rifle case and carry only one rifle with you to suit multiple shooting purposes. If I was to only own 1 rifle that is what I would do because it bit is actually 2 in 1. But for best accuracy out of the .22 conversion, I suggest the 1/12 twist or at least the 1/9 over the

The AR15 is what I have chosen :D but I have one more question regarding it which edited the original post to ask it. I'd love your feedback! Also, what is the difference between a conversion kit and something dedicated?...

Haha yeah thats exactly why I put it back a
Might be confusing for some reading the original post. Or frustrating for lazy people like me to go all the way back to page 1. Maybe you were thinking that you could save people from having to read the entire thread? IDK.

I'll go back again and take a look... get back to you if I have anything worthwhile to add. ;)

Haha yeah thats exactly why I put it back at the top. Thanks for taking the time to go all the way back up. Maybe I'll just ask within the thread :D

K.

There's also the factor that most of us are here because we like reading this stuff. Putting your NEW decision at the front of the thread via editing may deprive some readers from continuing on and enjoying/learning along with you!!

A drop-in kit goes will fit into a .223 whereas a .22 dedicated is .22 only and will not accept .223 ammunition. A dedicated .22 barrel is usually 1/16 twist and something like a thousanths narrower bore. If it's a good barrel you should far better accuracy than using it in a .223 barrel

With what everyone has said and the PHENOMENAL knowledge that everyone has so kindly took the time to share, I have decided that my first gun will be an AR15. I really like the idea of having an AR15 lower that is able to change uppers resulting in different caliber compatibility. My first barrel I want is one that can shoot 22LR since it is cheap which will result in A LOT of practice for me. :D

WHY I CHOSE THE AR15
Essentially, I was torn between a Ruger 10/22 and an AR15. I didn't choose the bolt action for only one major reason. The idea of it being the perfect disciplinary gun for getting good technique and gaining phenomenal skills (not just spraying to shoot but shooting for a purpose) is perfect but for me that would be the only reason to go for it and the reason I am not is because I am a strong individual and I have strong confidence in my ability to be disciplined. I have found a new passion and I really want to become a great shooter so there is a drive which also helps with being very mindful of every shot, ESPECIALLY while practicing my aim.

Also, as time goes on and after I really enjoy my first gun for a while I will INDEED be purchasing a Ruger :D

So for the big prize! The AR15 it is and here is why:

1. I'd love to own one before they are no longer sold through licensed dealers (thinking long-term) and I am not sure when I will have enough money to spare on second gun since I will be spending a great deal on my first one and I am a college student so there's that.

2. I love the idea of backwards compatibility! I think it'd be great to own atleast on gun that can do this. Although, it'd be great to own several guns that all are unique in their own way and have a specific purpose but again, spending wise, that is more a future thing.

3. Also, I still get the option of shooting 22LR calibers which was 100% the main requirment. I want to practice as often as possible and truly get the thrill of shooting as often as possible and 22LR calibers are cheap so they will allow for that.

Several people have mentioned possibilities and one person has linked some options but I'd love for a few more ideas so I have a well rounded "picking pool".

I would also hate to not get compatible pieces if I pick them myself. That would truly be unfortunate.

SO ESSENTIALLY WHAT I AM ASKING:

What would be a great AR15 lower and a compatible AR15 upper that would allow for me to, for now, shot 22LR calibers but in the future allow for barrels that have different calibers, like 5.56 or .223 Remington.....etc. (not sure if switching to that kind of caliber on an AR15 is even a thing. I'm still trying to absorb all this great information)

Also if there is no mag included on the lower, could you give me an idea for that too?...

Links would be PHENOMENAL and would help SO MUCH.

I tried looking into all of this but there is SO MUCH out there so I'm coming to you folks to help get me started then that way I can slowly gain more diverse knowledge as I go.

Thank a ton everyone. This community is phenomenal and I am very grateful to be part of it!!!

For those following along:

@Kk127001 wrote...

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
With what everyone has said and the PHENOMENAL knowledge that everyone has so kindly took the time to share, I have decided that my first gun will be an AR15. I really like the idea of having an AR15 lower that is able to change uppers resulting in different caliber compatibility. My first barrel I want is one that can shoot 22LR since it is cheap which will result in A LOT of practice for me. :D

WHY I CHOSE AN AR15 (scroll down if you don't care and want to see my new question)
Essentially, I was torn between a Ruger 10/22 and an AR15. I didn't choose the bolt action for only one major reason. The idea of it being the perfect disciplinary gun for getting good technique and gaining phenomenal skills (not just spraying to shoot but shooting for a purpose) is perfect but for me that would be the only reason to go for it and the reason I am not is because I am a strong individual and I have strong confidence in my ability to be disciplined. I have found a new passion and I really want to become a great shooter so there is a drive which also helps with being very mindful of every shot, ESPECIALLY while practicing my aim.

Also, as time goes on and after I really enjoy my first gun for a while I will INDEED be purchasing a Ruger!

So for the big prize! The AR15 it is and here is why:

1. I'd love to own one before they are no longer sold through licensed dealers (thinking long-term) and I am not sure when I will have enough money to spare on a second gun since I will be spending a great deal on my first one and I am a college student so there's that.

2. I love the idea of backwards compatibility! I think it'd be great to own at least one gun that can do this. Although, it'd be great to own several guns that all are unique in their own way and have a specific purpose but again, spending wise, that is more a future thing.

3. Also, I still get the option of shooting 22LR calibers which was 100% the main requirement. I want to practice as often as possible and truly get the thrill of shooting as often as possible and 22LR calibers are cheap so they will allow for that

So now for my final few question:

Several people have mentioned possibilities and one person has linked some options but I'd love for a few more ideas so I have a well rounded "picking pool".

I would also hate to not get compatible pieces if I pick them myself. That would truly be unfortunate.

So essentially what I am asking is:

What would be a great AR15 lower and a compatible AR15 upper that would allow for me to, for now, shot 22LR calibers but in the future allow for barrels that have different calibers, like 5.56 or .223 Remington.....etc. (not sure if switching to that kind of caliber on an AR15 is even a thing. I'm still trying to absorb all this great information)

Also if there is no mag included on the lower, could you give me an idea for that too?...

Links would be PHENOMENAL and would help SO MUCH.

I tried looking into all of this but there is SO MUCH out there so I'm coming to you folks to help get me started then that way I can slowly gain more diverse knowledge as I go and then come back and PAY IT FORWARD <3

Thank a ton everyone. This community is phenomenal and I am very grateful to be part of it!!!

My attention span is such that I can only read/comprehend short posts... sorry, will try to catch up. -bb

Sorry guys, I didn't mean for this to get messy :( this is the first forum I've ever been on so this is also new to me.

Sorry guys, I didn't mean for this to get messy :( this is the first forum I've ever been on so this is also new to me.

MOST everybody here is quite forgiving of newbies. You'll be just fine if you're nice, friendly, thankful, humble, cheerful, obedient, kind... wait, I got carried away there!!! ;):D:D

Last Edited:
You're welcome!

I think re-reading post #47 and #50 will provide the answers you seek... (Reads like a fortune cookie don't it!! :D)
Yes I do remember those ones that were linked. I thought it'd be a nice idea to get a few more ideas on other upper and lower AR brands. I just did some more research on 5.56 lowers and cmmg uppers but so far I do indeed think the ones that @osprey linked would be more suiting for me at this moment. I'm very excited! I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up going with those ones. I'll post a picture once I have everything set up. A noob finally sprouting wings! :D. Thanks again for the links @osprey and again thank you for EVERYONE who chimed in! I am extremely thankful. Community is indeed beautiful!

So essentially what I am asking is:

I would NOT go the way you are planning on going mostly because Ruger 10/22s are so inexpensive I would get one first and then get an AR-15 as a second rifle, rather than trying to make one rifle do both jobs, but I'll play along with your requirements.

First, I would get a name-brand AR-15 rather than a no name or put-together AR because the name brand rifles are really quite affordable now, will have better warranty support, and will probably hold resale value a little better. Examples are

Ruger Ruger AR-556 .223 Rem / 5.56 NATO 16.1" Barrel 30 RDs
Smith and Wesson Smith and Wesson M&P15 Sport II Promo Pack Black .223 / 5.56 NATO 16-inch with Case and Mag Charger

Then rather than an upper get a .22LR conversion kit

Again, not the way I would go, because you can get a Ruger 10/22 for not much more than the cost of the .22LR conversion kit for the AR. I would much rather have two rifles for around the same price than hassle switching one rifle back and forth between cartridges. If you get a used Ruger 10/22 at a gun show or pawn shop - they are plentiful at both - the difference in cost between 10/22 + AR-15 vs AR-15 + conversion kit or upper is almost a wash.

Last Edited:
I would NOT go the way you are planning on going mostly because Ruger 10/22s are so inexpensive I would get one first and then get an AR-15 as a second rifle, rather than trying to make on rifle do both jobs, but I'll play along with your requirements.

First, I would get a name-brand AR-15 rather than a no name or put-together AR because the name brand rifles are really quite affordable now, will have better warranty support, and will probably hold resale value a little better. Examples are

Smith and Wesson Smith and Wesson M&P15 Sport II Promo Pack Black .223 / 5.56 NATO 16-inch with Case and Mag Charger

Again, not the way I would go, because you can get a Ruger 10/22 for not much more than the cost of the .22LR conversion kit for the AR. I would much rather have two rifles for around the same price than hassle switching one rifle back and forth between cartridges. If you get a used Ruger 10/22 at a gun show or pawn shop - they are plentiful at both - the difference in cost between 10/22 + AR-15 vs AR-15 + conversion kit or upper is almost a wash.
That looks like a WAY better way to go! Cost effective wise is the selling point. Based on this it'd essentially come out to similar price points and the guns you linked are trusted brands. I'm going to look into this more THANK YOU THANK YOU for your input.

I would NOT go the way you are planning on going mostly because Ruger 10/22s are so inexpensive I would get one first and then get an AR-15 as a second rifle, rather than trying to make on rifle do both jobs, but I'll play along with your requirements.

Plus two guns are better then one. Also, the Ruger and the Smith & Wesson are the same price. Which one do you think would be better and why? Also, this route calls for a Ruger already so for diversity purposes and a little more gun experience would the Smith & Wesson be more ideal for this situation?..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top