JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One thing not mentioned before ( at least I didn't see it) is that when switching from one to another caliber the point of aim will stay the same but the point of impact will be way different. You will have to re zero, doesn't mater what sights, Iron, red dot, scope, friken lazer or what ever.

(After you pick up the Ruger 556 -- S&W Sport is also a fine choice) You're going to want to get more rifles.;)

A 10/22 is requisite, and at as low as 3-4 cents per round, won't break the bank. -- All kinds of fun out to around 125-150y, even 175y(+) on a really calm day.

If it were me, I'd skip the conversion route, and simply get a dedicated 22lr rifle. A 10/22 can be had for around $200.

While a factory entry-level AR is absolutely combat accurate, and effective out to around 500-600y, one who is interested in refining their skills out beyond a few football fields, will eventually be pining for a rifle capable of sub-1MOA -- this means <1" 5-shot groups at 100y, <2" groups at 200y, <3" @300y etc. This is where ballistics(bullet drop, windage) start really coming into play.

I suggest picking up a tack-driving center-fire bolt-action rifle. .308--(Being a very common round and capable out to around a 1000y) is a good all-around choice here. Good glass(a scope) is also compulsory.

Be prudent, as you may find a good portion of your disposable income funding your new hobby going forward.:cool:

Plus two guns are better then one. Also, the Ruger and the Smith & Wesson are the same price. Which one do you think would be better and why? Also, this route calls for a Ruger already so for diversity purposes and a little more gun experience would the Smith & Wesson be more ideal for this situation?..

If you read the reviews on Grabagun.com or anywhere else they are both highly rated so it's a toss up. The S&W promo package includes a case and magazine loader so there's that. Your choice, can't go wrong with either. You can go to a local big store like Sportsman's Warehouse or Cabela's and handle them. If the price is competitive to the online price I suggest buying locally to support our local gun businesses.

@Kk127001 Agree with folks above that the Ruger AR556 and the S&W Sport II are excellent and cost effective. I have an AR556 and am very happy with it. The upper and lower fit tight together and with no play. These rifles come on sale frequently in the ~$500 price range. You can also buy online and have it shipped to your local gun store or FFL.

Now the bad news - the rifle is just the beginning of expenses. You need ammo, cleaning supplies, cases for transport, eye and ear protection. For each AR I own I have at least $1,500 in ammo,scopes, etc.. It might be cheaper to have a drug habit than a gun habit :)

When you start looking at optics resist the urge to go with too high a power which usually means a heavy scope as well. There are some outstanding 1-6 and 1-8 variables out there that are perfect for everything from self defense, to hunting to target shooting.

If you are willing to wait, save up a bit and wait for Black Friday deals.

Keep an eye on the Northwest Armory ads (nwarmory.com). Stop by and enter their giveaway where you could win a S&W Sport II... For several months they were selling P-Mags for $10 each.

Palmetto State Armory has frequent smoking deals on ammunition and mags (and a lot of other things). 5.56 can be typically had in bulk for 29 cents per round and sometimes even less with rebates.

A couple of examples:
Federal 5.56 NATO 55gr FMJ 420rds in Ammo Can - XM193LC1 AC1

They also sell aluminum mags on frequent sale at $9 each

One thing not mentioned before ( at least I didn't see it) is that when switching from one to another caliber the point of aim will stay the same but the point of impact will be way different. You will have to re zero, doesn't mater what sights, Iron, red dot, scope, friken lazer or what ever.
Are we still talking different Ar caliber uppers on the same lower. Optics whether irons or red dote or scope stay with the upper so no re-zeroing necessary.

Are we still talking different Ar caliber uppers on the same lower. Optics whether irons or red dote or scope stay with the upper so no re-zeroing necessary.
I was thinking a .22 conversion in a .223/5.56 rather than changing the whole upper, I guess that's what I get for not being an AR guy.

Gotcha. I am personally not a fan of the conversion kits as they didn't provide the accuracy I had hoped for due to the incorrect twist rate for 22lr. My Cmmg dedicated upper is quite accurate.

Hey everyone! So it is official I just order my first gun. :D It is in the image below.
229DA416-0F2A-41FB-B759-906264EE9D9E.png
Thank you so much @BSG 75 for locating this for me. I am truly thankful for your time! Everyone has been such great help to me. <3
I will also be getting a Ruger 10/22 in the future. This was such a good deal that was too hard to pass up.
I have taken note of all other advice given and will be holding onto it for future decisions as well as for sharing with others. I shall pass it on! Everyone, thank you again.

Because the AR-15 is a new rifle for you here is a great AR-15 safety video:

Practice safe handling (unloaded) frequently until it's ingrained and automatic.

Something I forgot to add to your list o gear to consider - get a magLula. It will make loading mags so much easier, much faster, and your thumb will love you

1570654644873.png

Because the AR-15 is a new rifle for you here is a great AR-15 safety video:

Practice safe handling (unloaded) frequently until it's ingrained and automatic.

Something I forgot to add to your list o gear to consider - get a magLula. It will make loading mags so much easier, much faster, and your thumb will love you

View attachment 623466
Thank you! I will definitely be watching that video and many more :D

Don't forget their ACSS scopes. They designed the ACSS reticle for the Trijicon ACOG, and they have several low cost options also sales. Black Friday come soon

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top