JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys! I am extremely new when it comes to guns and am now interested in finally purchasing my first one. I have several friends who take me out shooting with them but now I'd love to have my own. I don't have much background knowledge so I'm here to gain more so that I can purchase my first rifle and know that it was a good purchase and fit for me! Does anyone have any good recommendations for a good first rifle?! I'm really into semi-automatics. My friend also mentioned a multi-caliber rifle, one where I can switch the barrel so I can change the caliber. Is that a good idea for a beginner or should I go a little more basic to start off? Essentially, I at least want to make sure the rifle is .22 compatible. I am also really into customization so that'll be important too including a good optic, fore grip, flashlight and things like that. Any major advice for a first time gun own when it comes to picking out a gun? Thanks a ton!!

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
With what everyone has said and the PHENOMENAL knowledge that everyone has so kindly took the time to share, I have decided that my first gun will be an AR15. I really like the idea of having an AR15 lower that is able to change uppers resulting in different caliber compatibility. My first barrel I want is one that can shoot 22LR since it is cheap which will result in A LOT of practice for me. :D

WHY I CHOSE AN AR15 (scroll down if you don't care and want to see my new question)

Essentially, I was torn between a Ruger 10/22 and an AR15. I didn't choose the bolt action for only one major reason. The idea of it being the perfect disciplinary gun for getting good technique and gaining phenomenal skills (not just spraying to shoot but shooting for a purpose) is perfect but for me that would be the only reason to go for it and the reason I am not is because I am a strong individual and I have strong confidence in my ability to be disciplined. I have found a new passion and I really want to become a great shooter so there is a drive which also helps with being very mindful of every shot, ESPECIALLY while practicing my aim.

Also, as time goes on and after I really enjoy my first gun for a while I will INDEED be purchasing a Ruger!

So for the big prize! The AR15 it is and here is why:

1. I'd love to own one before they are no longer sold through licensed dealers (thinking long-term) and I am not sure when I will have enough money to spare on a second gun since I will be spending a great deal on my first one and I am a college student so there's that.

2. I love the idea of backwards compatibility! I think it'd be great to own at least one gun that can do this. Although, it'd be great to own several guns that all are unique in their own way and have a specific purpose but again, spending wise, that is more a future thing.

3. Also, I still get the option of shooting 22LR calibers which was 100% the main requirement. I want to practice as often as possible and truly get the thrill of shooting as often as possible and 22LR calibers are cheap so they will allow for that

So now for my final few question:

Several people have mentioned possibilities and one person has linked some options but I'd love for a few more ideas so I have a well rounded "picking pool".

I would also hate to not get compatible pieces if I pick them myself. That would truly be unfortunate.

So essentially what I am asking is:

What would be a great AR15 lower and a compatible AR15 upper that would allow for me to, for now, shot 22LR calibers but in the future allow for barrels that have different calibers, like 5.56 or .223 Remington.....etc. (not sure if switching to that kind of caliber on an AR15 is even a thing. I'm still trying to absorb all this great information)

Also if there is no mag included on the lower, could you give me an idea for that too?...

Links would be PHENOMENAL and would help SO MUCH.

I tried looking into all of this but there is SO MUCH out there so I'm coming to you folks to help get me started then that way I can slowly gain more diverse knowledge as I go and then come back and PAY IT FORWARD <3

Thank a ton everyone. This community is phenomenal and I am very grateful to be part of it!!!

Last Edited:
Greetings program!

2CCD5A04-2916-48E8-8A6C-FF23634A24BE.jpeg

Can't go wrong getting a Ruger 10/22. Plenty of options & fun to shoot. Everyone should own at least one, IMO.

As to centerfire semi-auto? Wait a bit, read a bit, try out your friends a bit. Too many various available, and different calibers to suggest anything. Until you figure out what your wants are.

Welcome. Multi caliber? Sounds a bit Hollywood and not to mention probably expensive. Starting out with a small calliber like 22 LR is a smart way to start. A Ruger 10/22 is infinitely customizable and will accommodate all of your lights and tacticool options. However, what do your friends shoot? Do you like what they have or do you want something more to your own tastes? What kind of shooting do you want to do? Target? Hunting? Zombie defense?

Hello and welcome to the forum...!

What do you want to do with the rifle...?
If you just want to shoot targets on paper or soda cans and such a .22 rifle will fit the bill nicely...but a .30-06 not so much...
If you want to hunt big game...then a .30-06 will do...but the .22 not so well....
Also a budget limit would be nice to know...as well as if you are not opposed to buying a used rifle....

It sounds like you have your heart set on a semi-auto...those ain't my cup of tea...So I will let others with more liking for them chime in here...
Andy

I strongly urge a bolt action 22LR as your first rifle, You will use it far more than you think, and there are a lot of good ones out there. Savage makes very accurate and inexpensive rifles, so this might be a good starting point. Almost every manufacturer has a decent inexpensive offering.

Next rifle I'd suggest a Ruger 10/22. This is a very reliable 22LR semi automatic with TONS of aftermarket support. This really should be your second rifle after the boltie.

For your semiautomatic multi caliber I'd look at an AR-15 or AR-10 rifle depending on what cartridges you are interested and how you intend to use the rifle. On these rifles you can swap the upper to change cartridges.

The AR-15 is limited to a cartridge length of 223 Remington, but there are several cartridges that it will accept. Notable the 300 Blackout which is effectively a modern 30-30 and the 6.5 Grendel which has the best ballistics of the group. The standard 5.56 cartridge is also a very good one and very versatile. Also, you can get a 22LR adapter kit. Recoil with AR-15 sized rounds is gentle but a bit more than the 22LR.

Thae AR-10 platform is based on the 308 and so other cartridges that length will work as well. You still must have the correct upper and barrel just like the AR-15. The AR-10 platform is a good choice if you plan on using it for big game. Recoil will be greater than the AR-15 compatable cartridges.

Again, start small and simple. Get some training beyond what you have informally learned from your friends.

Don't forget cleaning supplies, and case for transporting it, and a locking cabinet to keep it/them away from the little ones.

Last Edited:
Anything rimfire really isn't my thing, but my wife has a 10/22. The only customization we did was a threaded barrel and a silencer:

472614-34c5e449eabc4cf033bc4db8c26cbd3e-jpg.jpg

But you can create pretty much anything you want to on that platform.

Well wishes. :)

I also think a Ruger 10/22 would be a great first rifle but I will put on my devil's advocate hat for this one. Get an Ar15 in 5.56 while they are cheap and legal to buy. Everybody should have at least one. To cover the 22lr angle get a Cmmg complete 22lr upper that will pop right on that Ar15 lower and now you have an accurate semi auto .22 rifle. I have one of the cmmg uppers and it cheap to feed, reliable, accurate and just flat fun to shoot. As your interests grows in other calibers you can branch out to other platforms and cartridges or buy some different caliber Ar uppers for the lower you already have. The world is your oyster right now. Have fun!

Welcome! Can't wait to hear what type of firearm you pick as your first!
Sounds like you're heart set on 22LR?
Can't argue with the affordable cost of plinking. Ill echo what others have said, a 10/22 is a great choice and a cheap date.

OR.. you could always go with an AR and have a bevy of choices upper wise.

I also think a Ruger 10/22 would be a great first rifle but I will put on my devil's advocate hat for this one. Get an Ar15 in 5.56 while they are cheap and legal to buy. Everybody should have at least one. To cover the 22lr angle get a Cmmg complete 22lr upper that will pop right on that Ar15 lower and now you have an accurate semi auto .22 rifle. I have one of the cmmg uppers and it cheap to feed, reliable, accurate and just flat fun to shoot. As your interests grows in other calibers you can branch out to other platforms and cartridges or buy some different caliber Ar uppers for the lower you already have. The world is your oyster right now. Have fun!
Thank you for the advice!! Several of my friends have suggested either a rugar 10/22, a savage bolt action, and a AR15 5.56 (especially for the multi-caliber option) I am completely torn! Also, what do you mean when you reference upper and lower? Also, how much do you think this would cost alone for the gun and accessories you mentioned? Again, thank you so much for the reply!

Welcome! Can't wait to hear what type of firearm you pick as your first!
Sounds like you're heart set on 22LR?
Can't argue with the affordable cost of plinking. Ill echo what others have said, a 10/22 is a great choice and a cheap date.

OR.. you could always go with an AR and have a bevy of choices upper wise.
Thank you for the reply! Mainly the .22 since the bullets are cheap and I hear it's great for plinking which is what I'm interested in. Although I would love to have a variety eventually. What kind of bullets do ARs usually take? And what do you mean upper wise?

I strongly urge a bolt action 22LR as your first rifle, You will use it far more than you think, and there are a lot of good ones out there. Savage makes very accurate and inexpensive rifles, so this might be a good starting point. Almost every manufacturer has a decent inexpensive offering.

Next rifle I'd suggest a Ruger 10/22. This is a very reliable 22LR semi automatic with TONS of aftermarket support. This really should be your second rifle after the boltie.

For your semiautomatic multi caliber I'd look at an AR-15 or AR-10 rifle depending on what cartridges you are interested and how you intend to use the rifle. On these rifles you can swap the upper to change cartridges.

The AR-15 is limited to a cartridge length of 223 Remington, but there are several cartridges that it will accept. Notable the 300 Blackout which is effectively a modern 30-30 and the 6.5 Grendel which has the best ballistics of the group. The standard 5.56 cartridge is also a very good one and very versatile. Also, you can get a 22LR adapter kit. Recoil with AR-15 sized rounds is gentle but a bit more than the 22LR.

Thae AR-10 platform is based on the 308 and so other cartridges that length will work as well. You still must have the correct upper and barrel just like the AR-15. The AR-10 platform is a good choice if you plan on using it for big game. Recoil will be greater than the AR-15 compatable cartridges.

Again, start small and simple. Get some training beyond what you have informally learned from your friends.

Don't forget cleaning supplies, and case for transporting it, and a locking cabinet to keep it/them away from the little ones.
One of my friends also suggested a Savage bolt action. I'm only hesitant since I have to pull a lever every time I want to shoot before pulling the trigger, but I've also never used a gun like that before so it may be more fun then what I am imagining.

My main intention is for plinking but that's just because I'm just getting started. Who knows where this will go! There's so many fun opportunities! A friend also said that .22 can get "boring" relatively quickly (he's also a major gun enthusiast) so just to make sure, regardless you suggest something like a bolt action or rugar 10/22 and then go more intense like an AR?

It's really important that I'm smart about this. I'm really excited and it would be really unfortunate to make a wrong choice. Also, what are your recommendations on a used or new rifle?

I won't forget the other stuff either. Thank you! Do you have a good website in mind that would be good for getting a case and supplies? As well as accessories? Also, any suggestion an specific accessories. If I do get something simple, I'd love to atleast make it look badass.

Lastly, thank you very much for the time you took to write your reply. It is greatly appreciated!

Greetings program!

View attachment 623053

Can't go wrong getting a Ruger 10/22. Plenty of options & fun to shoot. Everyone should own at least one, IMO.

As to centerfire semi-auto? Wait a bit, read a bit, try out your friends a bit. Too many various available, and different calibers to suggest anything. Until you figure out what your wants are.
Okay perfect! Thank you for the advice and for reply to my thread! I really appreciate it! You've been added to my votes for a Ruger 10/22 :D

Welcome. Multi caliber? Sounds a bit Hollywood and not to mention probably expensive. Starting out with a small calliber like 22 LR is a smart way to start. A Ruger 10/22 is infinitely customizable and will accommodate all of your lights and tacticool options. However, what do your friends shoot? Do you like what they have or do you want something more to your own tastes? What kind of shooting do you want to do? Target? Hunting? Zombie defense?
My friends have a crazy variety of guns. It's quite fascinating. Things like Beowulf's, shotguns, glocks, and what not. Right now I'm either interested in something basic like a Ruger 10/22 (like you suggested) or an AR (because based of what I've gathered this is a gun that supports multi caliber- with a few bucks extra out of the pocket of course) I'm also really into plinking (practice for leading up to zombie defense ;) :D)

Merged threads, Welcome to NWFA
Thank you!!!
Hello and welcome to the forum...!

What do you want to do with the rifle...?
If you just want to shoot targets on paper or soda cans and such a .22 rifle will fit the bill nicely...but a .30-06 not so much...
If you want to hunt big game...then a .30-06 will do...but the .22 not so well....
Also a budget limit would be nice to know...as well as if you are not opposed to buying a used rifle....

It sounds like you have your heart set on a semi-auto...those ain't my cup of tea...So I will let others with more liking for them chime in here...
Andy
yes definitely into plinking at the moment. I'm open to a used rifle although it brings up a lot of new questions like what should I be looking for and checking before getting a used one. Also budget wise, IDEALLY I'd like to spend only $600-700 for everything including gun, case, cleaning supplies, ear protection, first pack of bullets, and maybe a few customizations like fore grip and optical (that's the scope right...)

What is your cup of tea if not semi-auto? And why?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top