JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Good day everyone:

New member here, but been lurking, checking classifieds for a long time. Finally have something to post about.

Has anyone heard of the problems that early Weatherby (1959 mfg) MKV's had with the trigger housings? These mkv's had a side safety. They were a zinc casting and they often self destruct from wear and corrosion. The one I have discharged when it broke.

I've been on a quest to find a decent manufacturer of replacement triggers or even just trigger housings. I have wisner replacements, custom machine shop housings, but no one got it quite right.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Check out the organized clean ups. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

We are doing non ODF supported cleanups at public forests - check the North Fork Wolf Creek Road thread in resources.

If you really want to get involved in community action check out Trash No Land.

Good day everyone:

New member here, but been lurking, checking classifieds for a long time. Finally have something to post about.

Has anyone heard of the problems that early Weatherby (1959 mfg) MKV's had with the trigger housings? These mkv's had a side safety. They were a zinc casting and they often self destruct from wear and corrosion. The one I have discharged when it broke.

I've been on a quest to find a decent manufacturer of replacement triggers or even just trigger housings. I have wisner replacements, custom machine shop housings, but no one got it quite right.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Hey tusco, if you can find an STL or digital model of the part, I will make one and tune it up for you for nothing in a carbon fiber reinforced polymer. Look at resources like rifle connection .com or in 3d printer forums. I have extensive experience in modifying files and I'm not a terribly far distance from you. It could be cast in a better alloy with a lost wax type of casting if you can find someone to do that for you, or just have it cnc'd in aluminum if the design's dimensions are good after you test the carbon fiber one.
This is my hobby

Hey tusco, if you can find an STL or digital model of the part, I will make one and tune it up for you for nothing in a carbon fiber reinforced polymer. Look at resources like rifle connection .com or in 3d printer forums. I have extensive experience in modifying files and I'm not a terribly far distance from you. It could be cast in a better alloy with a lost wax type of casting if you can find someone to do that for you, or just have it cnc'd in aluminum if the design's dimensions are good after you test the carbon fiber one.
This is my hobby
IT, thanks for the response! I'll get on some of these ideas when I have the time. When I have something put together, I'll DM ya for sure.

I wouldn't have thought a factory repair/replacement was possible, but found this on the weatherbynation.com forum:

"I called Weatherby and they said they can perform the conversion to a newer trigger unit for about $300 plus shipping to them, which is about what I would have had to pay for a new bolt sleeve and Timney trigger unit, which they said they use for the conversion on these old guns."

The entire thread is right here: http://weatherbynation.com/index.php?topic=22197.0 and fairly recent, too - October 2022. I have a vintage MarkV (30XXX serial number) with all of the early features: unfluted bolt, Timken barrel, and of course the cast trigger housing. I don't shoot it because of fear of exactly the situation you described: "The one I have discharged when it broke." Can you tell us more about that?

I wouldn't have thought a factory repair/replacement was possible, but found this on the weatherbynation.com forum:

"I called Weatherby and they said they can perform the conversion to a newer trigger unit for about $300 plus shipping to them, which is about what I would have had to pay for a new bolt sleeve and Timney trigger unit, which they said they use for the conversion on these old guns."

The entire thread is right here: http://weatherbynation.com/index.php?topic=22197.0 and fairly recent, too - October 2022. I have a vintage MarkV (30XXX serial number) with all of the early features: unfluted bolt, Timken barrel, and of course the cast trigger housing. I don't shoot it because of fear of exactly the situation you described: "The one I have discharged when it broke." Can you tell us more about that?
Yeah, when deer hunting, about to shoot at a coyote, while the safety was clicking off, BOOM!, the rifle discharged in a safe direction. Upon inspection, the housing completely came apart in 3 separate places. I have inquired with weatherby and they can do the same thing. However, this removes the original side safety and places the safety on the bolt shroud like most mkv's. I'm trying to keep it as original as I can. The side safety is rather rare and it was my grandfathers, so it holds centimental value. Every stock gouge, bluing wear mark, etc. remains. Means more to me that way. May be silly to make this much of a problem for myself, but to put it simply, I think it's cool that way.

That weatherby thread was great. Same situation. In there they mentioned wisner and canjar replacements. I actually have both. The canjar bolt release and safety are awful and the wisner has fitment/stickiness issues. I didn't realize that those are unobtanium anymore. Although that thread said wisner doesn't mfg any more housings, wisners site shows what look to be autocad type sketches. I've contacted them to see if they will share any models or drawings with me. If not, I'll reverse-engineer what I have and try to put something together for It-That and hopefully, eventually, maybe we'll end up with something functional. I'll keep you in the loop esbshaw if I ever get something good together in case you ever want to shoot your rifle.

1679525446744.png

Not.

Aloha, Mark

That weatherby thread was great. Same situation. In there they mentioned wisner and canjar replacements. I actually have both. The canjar bolt release and safety are awful and the wisner has fitment/stickiness issues. I didn't realize that those are unobtanium anymore. Although that thread said wisner doesn't mfg any more housings, wisners site shows what look to be autocad type sketches. I've contacted them to see if they will share any models or drawings with me. If not, I'll reverse-engineer what I have and try to put something together for It-That and hopefully, eventually, maybe we'll end up with something functional. I'll keep you in the loop esbshaw if I ever get something good together in case you ever want to shoot your rifle.
They don't often share files. It's hundreds of hours of work that they hope to sell to some next guy who is willing to mill them, possibly on a night shift, just to keep the machines turning out profit. No dice on rifle connect?

They don't often share files. It's hundreds of hours of work that they hope to sell to some next guy who is willing to mill them, possibly on a night shift, just to keep the machines turning out profit. No dice on rifle connect?
Figured it was worth a shot if he already decided it wasn't worth his time anymore. Jim Wisner replied pretty quick. His cad software (bobcad17?? Never heard of it) only ran on one windows 95 machine or something and he had no desire to spend his time trying to export or print anything off it. Fair enough. I appreciated the quick response though.

I couldn't find anything on rifle connect, but I have enough components to come up with something good. I work as a design engineer, so I try not to spend my hobby hours doing the same kinda work haha, but I'll get you some good data to work off of.

Oh lol you know what's up then!

Do you think it's something solid works can import? The list of filetypes it can convert/import is insanely long. Did he mention whether or not he could move the file or it's basically stuck on that old computer?

Oh lol you know what's up then!

Do you think it's something solid works can import? The list of filetypes it can convert/import is insanely long. Did he mention whether or not he could move the file or it's basically stuck on that old computer?
I'm sure there's a way, even if he took a picture of the dims on the screen with his phone! but he explicitly stated that he has no desire to do so because he was inundated with work:s0092:. At least he's honest.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top