JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ok guys

That's 8 shots @ 50y using 21.5gr IMR3031

Using vortex scope.
View attachment 400953
The top row is:
CFE handloads, CFE handloads, Hornady factory ammo

Middle row:
4320 handloads, -, -, 3031 handloads
At 50 yards with my SPS I'm punching single hole groups.

I'm interested in hearing the report back with the new scope mounted.

I'm not sure where your about, but I'd offer up a get together if you want to switch rifles and see if the problem is the rifle.

No H4895 on the inventory. Buddy of mind has some I could get without buying a pound...

Will report back after the 4 different loads today and two optics.
Way back when I was reloading, maybe 40 years ago, I used 4895 powder in my .270 Win Remington 721. It gave the best accuracy by far. Don't know if that would carry over to smaller cases though.

The reloder powders are my current favorites, with rl15 and rl17 being excellent in many different cartridges. Tac is what I use for precision 223/5.56, shoots like varget and meters like h335.

Also curious if you're using standard or Magnum primers dyjital?
Standard

All groups are 3 shots unless noted.
Targets at 50y.

1: CFE 223, 27.2gr. Neck sized brass 55gr soft point
2: CFE 223, 27.2gr. Full length sized, 55gr Vmax
3: Hornady Vmax 53gr factory ammo
4: 55gr soft point, 4320 powder
5: 55gr soft point, 3031 powder (8 shots)
6: Hornady factory 53gr ammo
7: 4320 (8-shots) adjusted windage on scope 2 MOA left

POA was never changed between different cases.

Vortex:
EF774884-5D0A-4D6F-9DE7-830680B20187.jpeg

Redfield:
4450A8E2-4524-4487-A5BF-E77661736FCA.jpeg

Findings:
Both optics are fine
Rifle does not like CFE-223
Likes 3031 a lot.
Will sell my CFE-223 as I don't use it in anything besides .223. Have a few pounds to disperse.

New ladder will be 3031, .003" off lands as they were in the testing today.

Try Magnum primers with the cfe, I use Magnum for everything because I've found they improve consistency, but for ball powders especially in small cases they make a big difference.

The Hornady factory group #6 in the second photo? I'd say that's definitive if it holds that group out further, as well as your 3031 loads.
I'd like that but #6 and #5/7 were never adjusted on the scope. Those are shooting super high and right...

If I can put 16 rounds in a hole that size (5) I think that's a near winner.

Ladder time

That's looking fine. Ladder tests now. You happy with 55gr softpoint? I think it looks really promossing
You bet I'm satisfied.

The main purpose for the rifle is a varmint and hunting rifle. 55gr sp's will end up 90%+ of what goes through it.

If I can get 69gr smk's to shoot this well we may have to stretch its legs.

You bet I'm satisfied.

The main purpose for the rifle is a varmint and hunting rifle. 55gr sp's will end up 90%+ of what goes through it.

If I can get 69gr smk's to shoot this well we may have to stretch its legs.
Don't forget about the Noslers too. They seem to shoot as well as the SMKs for me.

Don't forget about the Noslers too. They seem to shoot as well as the SMKs for me.
I have SMK's on the bench at $0. Bonus on a trade deal...

I ALMOST grabbed a box of Noslers last night to shoot when I got the Hornady ammo.

Your loading sounds first rate. Have you considered "polishing" the Barrel or have you already done that? I've worked over a few 700s and found a cleaning/polishing cycle to be very helpful, especially with a new Barrel. Just a thought.
I don't think you need to polish the barrel if you're getting 1moa with Armscor ball. Nor would one necessarily suspect terrible crown damage. Or tremendous shooter palsy. Or or or.

I noticed that you had not tried the CFE-223 powder with the 55 grain soft point bullets?
Maybe you gun does not like the 55 grain V-Max bullets that you were using with the CFE-223 powder?

I just checked my Hornady manual and the 55 grain V-Max bullets are a flat base design. Are the 55 grain soft points you are using a flat base or boat tail design?

The 53 grain factory V-Max bullets are boat tail design. Maybe your gun likes boat tail bullets and not flat base bullets?

If the 55 grain soft points you are using are a boat tail then that might be what is going on here...

You might try the CFE-223 powder with the 55 grain soft points before you dump it. Maybe your gun just does not like flat base bullets, wouldn't be the first time I discovered this with one of my rifles.

I noticed that you had not tried the CFE-223 powder with the 55 grain soft point bullets?
Maybe you gun does not like the 55 grain V-Max bullets that you were using with the CFE-223 powder?

I just checked my Hornady manual and the 55 grain V-Max bullets are a flat base design. Are the 55 grain soft points you are using a flat base or boat tail design?

The 53 grain factory V-Max bullets are boat tail design. Maybe your gun likes boat tail bullets and not flat base bullets?

If the 55 grain soft points you are using are a boat tail then that might be what is going on here...

You might try the CFE-223 powder with the 55 grain soft points before you dump it. Maybe your gun just does not like flat base bullets, wouldn't be the first time I discovered this with one of my rifles.
I did run the CFE with 55 SP. tragic failures.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top