JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You should ask your bank about what it does to protect you from the Holder In Due Course scam if a check goes missing. I can't even begin to articulate how livid I was when learned about HIDC the hard way. For instance, does your bank print on the face of the check "void after ___ days" or something like that?

The statute of limitations on a non-declined check is something like 10 years, and three years on a declined one. Meaning it can hand out there for ages before biting you.

In this case the recipient was my daughter, so I had no fear of her trying to scam me.

I rarely send anybody checks except my daughter.

This isn't about a gun. It's just a way to scam money from you.

The over payment scam is now an old one but people still fall for it.
Usually it's people around the NY area that use counterfeit checks or money orders.
Nigerians and such pull these non-stop.

Correct. I do need to check to see whether those checks have an expiration date on them now that I know why checks have that.

For people who have kids they want to give money to on occasion I long ago found a good way. I started an online checking account with American Express. It was originally done just to see how one would work and it was fine. Later I found they offered a way to give a card from the account to family members. Up to three. So we set up a couple of these and each child now has one. Time to give money for an occasion? We can log into the account and move money to that card. It's there instantly free to us and them. Since a few of them are in different states this works great. They can go to an ATM or use it like a debit card. We can add money to the Amex account on line from another regular bank account. Even used a coupe times when one of the kids got in a bind and needed a Mom & Dad quick loan. The cards the kids have can't be used unless we put money on them. If they lose one we can stop it on line or take the money there back. Pretty neat little idea.

I could move money from my account to hers, but it would require I get her account routing/etc. and then I would have access to go either way (to pull money from her account) and I don't want to have that kind of access.

For now, I just send her a check, or if she needs it faster I drop by the CU on my way home and get a check, or sometimes I give her cash or I pay one of her bills online with my credit card). we manage, but it would be better if my CU had a faster more convenient way to transfer money than having them cut and mail a check, that doesn't require me to treat her account as my account.

I know about the cards, but sometimes they need help paying a bill by putting money into their checking account.

I could move money from my account to hers, but it would require I get her account routing/etc. and then I would have access to go either way (to pull money from her account) and I don't want to have that kind of access.

For now, I just send her a check, or if she needs it faster I drop by the CU on my way home and get a check, or sometimes I give her cash or I pay one of her bills online with my credit card). we manage, but it would be better if my CU had a faster more convenient way to transfer money than having them cut and mail a check, that doesn't require me to treat her account as my account.

I know about the cards, but sometimes they need help paying a bill by putting money into their checking account.

If hers is a larger bank chain, you should be able to deposit only at the counter. Yeah it takes waiting at the bank, but might be worth a look see.

That's what my folks do for our gifts. Bank of America. They do not have access to our account to write checks, but can deposit at the counter with a deposit slip.

My folks are funny, get all worried that they forgot to mail off a gift. I tell them not to worry about it (we're fortunate in we don't need it), then they get all antsy and deposit it the next day when the bank opens anyways. :rolleyes:

Now all of there accounts I have access to. Including safe deposit boxes. Just in case something should happen to my Dad and my Mom needs some help figuring something out.

If you don't want to risk the checks set up an online account with Amex. Account is free. You can add one of your bank accounts to it to load money to it as you wish. Of if you don't mind the extra hassle you can just add cash to it at any Wally and have no other account of yours hooked to it last I checked. Never used them but they (Wally) were the ones who got this going. Give kid a card on account. You can instantly give her money any time 24/7. She can get access to that money anytime 24/7. If there is money on her card and she loses the card you can freeze it or just take the money back 24/7 instantly. No more mailing checks.

The problem with Amex is that it isn't accepted everywhere, and even fewer for payments of things like mortgages. My kids have their own house and checking accounts and CCs. I just need to help them from time to time because of emergencies, and that usually involves putting money into their checking account somehow.

If hers is a larger bank chain, you should be able to deposit only at the counter. Yeah it takes waiting at the bank, but might be worth a look see.

That's what my folks do for our gifts. Bank of America. They do not have access to our account to write checks, but can deposit at the counter with a deposit slip.

We both bank at CUs - better than banks in most ways. Going to her CU would be no more convenient than going to mine and getting a check or cash. I don't have a checkbook so I am not sure how I could deposit from my account to hers, without using a CC and that incurs a fee. An ATM card would have a limit on it.

We work it out - I am just amazed that in this day and age that banks still have not worked out transfers of funds from one account to another online in an easier quicker manner. I am sure security is one issue, but I can charge thousands to my account or CC with just my card number, but I can't do the same thing to go from one checking account to another (yes, I know about Apple Pay and so on).

The problem with Amex is that it isn't accepted everywhere, and even fewer for payments of things like mortgages. My kids have their own house and checking accounts and CCs. I just need to help them from time to time because of emergencies, and that usually involves putting money into their checking account somehow.
If their bank lets them deposit cash the card will do that. Many chain banks let their ATM's use the card. Take cash, do with it as they please. Now you can as mentioned directly deposit to their account too. One easy way is have them bank at some chain that has a branch easy for you to get to. Give you some deposit slips. You can go to any branch, make a deposit. As long as they are not letting it go to the point of being in foreclosure they are fine. If that is the case just tell them the same thing I tell our kids. If something is "serious" don't wait till it's an emergency to tell us you need help.

We both bank at CUs - better than banks in most ways. Going to her CU would be no more convenient than going to mine and getting a check or cash. I don't have a checkbook so I am not sure how I could deposit from my account to hers, without using a CC and that incurs a fee. An ATM card would have a limit on it.

We work it out - I am just amazed that in this day and age that banks still have not worked out transfers of funds from one account to another online in an easier quicker manner. I am sure security is one issue, but I can charge thousands to my account or CC with just my card number, but I can't do the same thing to go from one checking account to another (yes, I know about Apple Pay and so on).

What you're asking for here is not the banks. That is the Fed's. They are VERY concerned about money laundering and such. It's why they have all these rules. The banks don't have any choice in the matter. If they like a CU that's fine. They just need to not wait till this is an emergency to ask for help. If they are going to ask anyway, tell them to do it when there is days to do something instead of hours to take care of it. Makes it much more simple to not wait till it's critical.
Banks move money on line 24/7. Feds are not yet comfortable letting account holders move from one bank to another like that just yet. The rules in banking change VERY slowly as it's done in Congress. When you hear a lot of the lawmakers talk you can see why. Many of them are shockingly ignorant.

Advertising hand gun online resulted in a whole bunch of single line inquiries. Most said "Is the gun still for sale?" At my reply never hear anything. Now have in hand a check for $1340.00 dollars to pay for gun and shipping. By the way gun is posted at $400.00.

Pretty sure if I deposit this in my bank what little money I have on hand will disappear. Person contacting me: Don Morgan of Washington State, FedEx package sent from Great Neck, New York, and from bank in Indiana. Note on check: "process payment."

Any one want to buy a $1340.00 check? Make payments in cash, only.

View attachment 344214

So why can't you open a new bank account at a different bank and deposit that check ? If you worry it will result in the draining of the account, it first has to clear, right ? It will be on deposit at that time and you can withdraw it, right ?, close the account and take the cash over to your regular account. Is that not possible ?

So why can't you open a new bank account at a different bank and deposit that check ? If you worry it will result in the draining of the account, it first has to clear, right ? It will be on deposit at that time and you can withdraw it, right ?, close the account and take the cash over to your regular account. Is that not possible ?

Subscribe to read

Well yes you could do this. Problems. When you open and account you sign a ream of forms saying you agree to terms. Few read this. Now if you deposit a check in a new account, then take the cash later even if the bank said OK, and it comes back a forgery, they are going to come after you. The bank will not just laugh this off with "well he got us good."

I have USAA Federal Savings. I had my daughter set up accounts there for her and my grandkids. I do not need to know any account numbers. I simply transfer money from my accout to anyone of their accounts at any time. Painless, cheap and quick. USAA has been great with this feature. I imagine other banks do the same these days.

Well yes you could do this. Problems. When you open and account you sign a ream of forms saying you agree to terms. Few read this. Now if you deposit a check in a new account, then take the cash later even if the bank said OK, and it comes back a forgery, they are going to come after you. The bank will not just laugh this off with "well he got us good."

So the bank has not cleared the check before they give you the cash ? Hmmm my banks use to always say they won't credit my account until the check clears. That no longer applies eh ? Bummer gets where you can't trust anyone.

It depends on the bank policy and the amount and maybe the source and what you have in your account already.

Personal checks take longer. Large amounts take longer. I have only once in the past two years had a deposit that was larger than what I already had in my account, and that was wired in from my mother's estate.

They may say to wait a few days, but may come back at you much later.

Playing games with a financial institution using bogus checks is not a game for the faint of heart or those who do not tend towards criminal endeavors. It is a good way to get your account frozen and your credit report trashed. I don't recommend it.

K
So why can't you open a new bank account at a different bank and deposit that check ? If you worry it will result in the draining of the account, it first has to clear, right ? It will be on deposit at that time and you can withdraw it, right ?, close the account and take the cash over to your regular account. Is that not possible ?[/QUO

Knowing a check is fraudulent might result in my having to legally defend myself from fraud charges. Your idea did cross my mind. Was in jail in my youth. God and I have an understanding. He keeps me out of jail if I don't do the things that might result in my going.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top