JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So the bank has not cleared the check before they give you the cash ? Hmmm my banks use to always say they won't credit my account until the check clears. That no longer applies eh ? Bummer gets where you can't trust anyone.

I don't know if they still do this. The one big scam used to use checks and M/O's that were a rats nest of mess. The point was to make it take a while to find out they were a fraud. Many banks would say something like 10 days to clear. So some would wait and "think" all was good. 15 days later bank finds out it was not. If you close the account they will come after you for the money they are out.

It depends on the bank policy and the amount and maybe the source and what you have in your account already.

Personal checks take longer. Large amounts take longer. I have only once in the past two years had a deposit that was larger than what I already had in my account, and that was wired in from my mother's estate.

They may say to wait a few days, but may come back at you much later.

Playing games with a financial institution using bogus checks is not a game for the faint of heart or those who do not tend towards criminal endeavors. It is a good way to get your account frozen and your credit report trashed. I don't recommend it.

Yep, people should goodle the "exlax bandit". Guy got a check from them that was supposed to be a few bucks. Due to a mistake it had a lot of zeros on it. He deposited it, then later came and took the cash. They went after him and arrested him.

I wouldn't be so sure. Look up "Holder in Due Course". I once sent a check to a person who informed me it never arrived. So I canceled the check with my bank and sent a replacement. Person then proceeds to cash BOTH checks at a check cashing place. The check casher then called me up and told me the check had been declined by my bank (the stop payment), but I had to pay anyway because they were a holder in due course and if I didn't, they would sue me and win. I looked into it, and then paid -- really. I had to pay BOTH checks because nothing on either check made them seem invalid on their face. $1500 lesson, although after much hassle, I was able to recoup that from the person who tricked me. Holder In Due Course and Check Fraud—Summary and Detailed Explanation | SAFEChecks | Articles

The check referenced here has no expiration date on it -- that business clearly hasn't learned the HIDC lesson yet. Now I put a 20 day expiration date on my checks and I won't replace one until a week after the 20th day has passed without it being presented to my bank.

In business [Now retired] I always had a time frame 'void after date' on my checks, 30 days! So I had a lesson some place in time also, I just do not remember what it was exactly.
Thank you for the reply.
Silver Hand

Local federal agencies would love to know that.

Make sure you have an address to ship the gun to... I mean send the Feds to.

You sure that doesn't say "Progress Payment" in the memo line?

By the way, that's a REAL business and i'm betting the check was washed and new numbers put in for your amount.

Google Maps

Sounds like somebody is taking them for a ride.
Only problem is it's a hotel!

Who ever these scum dogs are apparently they don't realize we gun enthusiasts are smarter than the average morons!

Sadly, when it comes to fraud, average morons also number in the ranks of gun enthusiasts. In hundreds or thousands, of potential scams electronically launched weekly, all it takes is one sucker a day for an ambitious oxygen bandit to make a sweet living.

Since these goat humpers mostly operate from offshore, it's extremely difficult, if not impossible, for any federal entity to successfully prosecute a case - especially for such a paltry sum (compared to a stolen Van Gogh or a truckload of counterfeit Samsungs).

And then, anyone attempting to intentionally sidestep all that invasive FFL and BGI nonsense in a private gun sale might be less inclined to cry to authorities to report they got ripped off.

Caveat emptor guys!

Last Edited:
This guy is still active. ;)

20170929_173155.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews