JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Take it to Tijuana. Cash it. Spend the money like a raped ape. When they ask you to wire the extra cash to some chump, tell them there will be a 500% wire transfer fee, charged by your Nigerian bank.
Then send them a photo of the gun, explaining that it was confiscated by federal fraud investigators when you cashed the check.

UPDATE

Notified FBI at www.ice.gov also informed FedEx online. Nothing from either.

Got a phone call from "Donald Morgan" at 360-602-2654 urging my deposit of the check. After call emailed requesting FFL dealer on his end. Reply came saying information was attached. It wasn't. I asked again. Nothing.

Donald has heavy accent and background noise during call sound like a boiler room.

Many templates for getting this group of scammers. Maybe everybody call the number provided and leave a have a good day message!

UPDATE

Notified FBI at www.ice.gov also informed FedEx online. Nothing from either.

Got a phone call from "Donald Morgan" at 360-602-2654 urging my deposit of the check. After call emailed requesting FFL dealer on his end. Reply came saying information was attached. It wasn't. I asked again. Nothing.

Donald has heavy accent and background noise during call sound like a boiler room.

Many templates for getting this group of scammers. Maybe everybody call the number provided and leave a have a good day message!

You heard nothing from them because there are so many of these going on they really could care less.

The phone service provider who is selling them the proxy number they are calling from may be interested that there is wire fraud going on over this line, or they may not care at all.

Cautionary Notes here:

I do some arm chair IT work most of it is prevention oriented. You would be surprised at how vulnerable people and business's are. A simple hack into a basic network can reek havoc on entire systems. These are just my observations for you and you can read them or scroll on by.

They have called your cell phone number several times. Risk # 1. In your settings on your phone you can block these numbers. I block anybody I do not want to talk to or that random dials me.

You have exchanged e mails with them. Risk 2. Higher risk if this your main email account. Make sure you change your password right now and several times a year. Utilize a junk / dump mail account for things like this. Multiple anti virus softwares constantly updated.

Recognize that there is little you can do about these, and that the more contact you have with these scammers, the higher your risk for hacking, infection and malware is going to be. If the government wanted to go after them they might but in today's world this is so prevalent they could care less. The scammers are so isolated, it is all overseas coming through proxy phones and servers. You are not catching anybody overseas.

You heard nothing from them because there are so many of these going on they really could care less.

The phone service provider who is selling them the proxy number they are calling from may be interested that there is wire fraud going on over this line, or they may not care at all.

Cautionary Notes here:

I do some arm chair IT work most of it is prevention oriented. You would be surprised at how vulnerable people and business's are. A simple hack into a basic network can reek havoc on entire systems. These are just my observations for you and you can read them or scroll on by.

They have called your cell phone number several times. Risk # 1. In your settings on your phone you can block these numbers. I block anybody I do not want to talk to or that random dials me.

You have exchanged e mails with them. Risk 2. Higher risk if this your main email account. Make sure you change your password right now and several times a year. Utilize a junk / dump mail account for things like this. Multiple anti virus softwares constantly updated.

Recognize that there is little you can do about these, and that the more contact you have with these scammers, the higher your risk for hacking, infection and malware is going to be. If the government wanted to go after them they might but in today's world this is so prevalent they could care less. The scammers are so isolated, it is all overseas coming through proxy phones and servers. You are not catching anybody overseas.

As an armchair tech this is important X11,000.

I exited the dark side around 2001 when I watched a bank website get brute force opened to a group of a dozen or so. We run everything encrypted and on secured lines, servers etc. security is important, very important.

As an armchair tech this is important X11,000.

I exited the dark side around 2001 when I watched a bank website get brute force opened to a group of a dozen or so. We run everything encrypted and on secured lines, servers etc. security is important, very important.

This is just a small portion of the concerns you will encounter. On managed networks and systems you need to know where your people are going. I had one where one of the employees brought his snowflake kid to work and let him work on the company website on one of the network machines. Trouble was the little snowflake was not well supervised and liked those sites where the Russian girls show their talents. Ivan got into the network, into the website and set themselves up as administrators and just went looking everywhere. Not much to see or mess with, but there was some history of this same thing happening at another place the same employee had worked at and they lost the domains and e mail accounts in the process. I am sure it was all some kind of coincidence though:eek::eek:

So after we got that mess cleaned up, got the website back on line and set up some better software security, we put some tracking software on it, and because the employee was upper management, it was all covered over...until a higher level person wanted to make sure it did not happen again and we set up hidden video surveillance on the work station and caught him doing it again, after he tried to disable the tracking software (dumb azz) and had a time video plus tracking record of it.

Trying to explain this to office drones and getting them to realize that the biggest security threat is usually right in your own business, and that you can control software and application threats, but that without proper control of personnel access all that means nothing. If you cannot control internal access and security, you stand no chance at all against experienced outsiders exploiting holes you left wide open yourself.

Any updates on this? Same situation, same Donald Morgan from Camano Wa. Different bank and originating shipper. FedEx overnight check for way more than listed price.

Never heard from person sending the check or any of the official complaints I registered. Trashed the documents and hadn't given anymore thought.

How this works is they are expecting you to deposit it into your bank through the ATM which will post the funds almost immediately. Then you will be given directions to wire them the "extra" money probably from one Walmart to another so you will never get an actual address. The bank will eventually find the check to be a fraud and take them money back out of your account but that could take a month or two. They will never receive the gun and won't even try to pick it up, this is an attempt to get you to send them cash and that's it. They always say they're from somewhere, then the check comes from somewhere else and the money will be wired to somewhere near where the check came from. Give it to your bank or the police and be done with it. Or you can try to talk them into giving you an actual address to mail the money but you'll never get one. I've been through this a couple times.

The feds won't do anything. They have bigger fish to fry - this is just a few hundred dollars.

The bank won't do anything because they have nobody to go after except for you if you had deposited the check; these guys almost always operate overseas and have either dupes here in the USA or you send funds to a mule who forwards it on. But you would never know the real names, the real address/etc.

The ATF doesn't care because you won't really be transferring a firearm because the scam isn't about guns.

FWIW - I only accepted a check once for a rifle - it was a cashiers check. I took it to the local branch of the bank it was drawn on to cash it. After a lot of checking and phone calls, they cashed it. I sold the rifle to an FFL. I was surprised he sent me a $3000 check for a rifle he only saw a photo of that was a thousand miles away. I would never do that.

...By the way, that's a REAL business and i'm betting the check was washed and new numbers put in for your amount. ...

My business requires I write a lot of checks. Early on I figured out the cheapest way to deal with this issue was was to buy totally blank check stock (the account number isn't even preprinted), and MICR toner (it's a little bit magnetic for use with old style check readers). I just print the whole check at once, including the account number. Anyway, my point is -- there's no need to wash a check these days. Fraudsters can print perfectly legit looking checks that are completely fake. Be careful.

... Nothing will happen to your money in the bank if you cash it and receive anything, but in about a week after you ship your gun
[kiss it good by] you will have to return all the funds you received, once the check is found to be stolen.
Silver Hand ...

I wouldn't be so sure. Look up "Holder in Due Course". I once sent a check to a person who informed me it never arrived. So I canceled the check with my bank and sent a replacement. Person then proceeds to cash BOTH checks at a check cashing place. The check casher then called me up and told me the check had been declined by my bank (the stop payment), but I had to pay anyway because they were a holder in due course and if I didn't, they would sue me and win. I looked into it, and then paid -- really. I had to pay BOTH checks because nothing on either check made them seem invalid on their face. $1500 lesson, although after much hassle, I was able to recoup that from the person who tricked me. Holder In Due Course and Check Fraud—Summary and Detailed Explanation | SAFEChecks | Articles

The check referenced here has no expiration date on it -- that business clearly hasn't learned the HIDC lesson yet. Now I put a 20 day expiration date on my checks and I won't replace one until a week after the 20th day has passed without it being presented to my bank.

Last Edited:
I don't have a checkbook. Most of the time I go online and have the CU send the check. Takes at least 7 days. Once the check didn't arrive. I asked the bank to cancel it and issue a new check. They did.

You should ask your bank about what it does to protect you from the Holder In Due Course scam if a check goes missing. I can't even begin to articulate how livid I was when learned about HIDC the hard way. For instance, does your bank print on the face of the check "void after ___ days" or something like that?

The statute of limitations on a non-declined check is something like 10 years, and three years on a declined one. Meaning it can hand out there for ages before biting you.

We had a check (in a bill) stolen out of our mailbox. When the bank opened the next day I went in and paid the $20 and canceled the check with the teller. I left there and drove over to Safeway. Walked inside and my phone rang and asked if i had just been at the CU. Evidently the bad guy came in as I walked out of the CU and presented the check to the teller who looked at it and wondered why my name was so familiar! She said I probably held the door for him as I left and he came in. She stared at the check and he got nervous, grabbed his ID back and ran. She kept the check so it never went any farther. Sheriff deputy came and filed a report, blah, blah blah. Lucked out there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top