JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anyone else with a submission is prior to the extended deadline told their testimony would not be included? My testimony was submitted at 12:46 PM on April 4th. The deadline was 5:00 PM on April 4th. This is clearly prior to the deadline. Today I received the email below:

Thank you for your submission. Senate Bill 978 was heard in the Senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday, April 2. The Chair extended the deadline for submitting written testimony for the bill until 5:00 pm on Thursday, April 4. Unfortunately, your submission was received after the deadline, and cannot be included in the meeting record. You are welcome to contact the members of the committee directly. Contact information can be found on OLIS.

Written testimony can be submitted if the bill advances to the House of Representatives for consideration. You can sign up to receive agenda updates HERE.

Respectfully,

Legislative Policy and Research Office

Oregon State Capitol

900 Court St NE Rm. 331

Salem, OR 97301

503-986-1526

House Committee on Judiciary

Senate Committee on Judiciary

Note: Please use discretion with your personal information in written testimony (i.e., do not add personal information you do not want the public to see). All meeting materials, including your name and any personal information contained in the submitted documents, are posted to the Oregon Legislative Information System (OLIS) and are accessible to all major search engines, including Google, Bing, and Yahoo.

I still dont get that 80% stuff. My manufacturer has engraved it for me when I purchased them but with serials I wanted and with my name as a manufacturer (compliant to ATF rules). Now what...its been serialized from the manufacturer and I never owned an unserialized 80% receiver ... Not sosmuch because I wanted an "off the books" but moreso for personalization. huuuuhhh??? so i should be good since it was never an unserialized 80%???

And what in the world is this??? Someone breaks in my home, hauls out my gunsafe and I AM responsible for what they do with the guns they stole from me? Are those politicans bubbleguming retarded???? I'm so mad I want to email them that.

I still dont get that 80% stuff. My manufacturer has engraved it for me when I purchased them but with serials I wanted and with my name as a manufacturer (compliant to ATF rules). Now what...its its been serialized from the manufacturer and I never owned an unserialized 80% receiver ... huuuuhhhh??? so i should be good???

Nope, it did not follow the guidelines atf requires for record keeping since it wasn't a firearm, so if the law was unchanged it's a class B felony to have that.

Nope, it did not follow the guidelines atf requires for record keeping since it wasn't a firearm, so if the law was unchanged it's a class B felony to have that.
Okay yes I understand... but what if I buy a gun from a pawnshop and they don't follow the guidelines for recordkeeping? How is that my fault, they will be punished for that? Also.. I doubt that some "80% receiver manufacturer" in wherever alabama or what adheres to oregon law because federally they are not selling firearms. This is all completely against federal law what they are doing.

I haven't purchased a firearm for years. I build. I've said for years that the day was coming when we would have to make a decision. I have - if this becomes un-Constitutional 'law' in my state, I will not comply .

Kevin Starrett at Oregon Firearms Federation has $313,157.25 on his books as of today. He better be preparing to spend all of it to fight this crap in the courts....
Off.jpg

I read they are also going to classify pepper spray as a restricted weapon as well? Additionally locking requirements for all ammo, components, tools and cleaning components.
If true these yahoos are COMPLETELY nucking futs!!!

I still dont get that 80% stuff. My manufacturer has engraved it for me when I purchased them but with serials I wanted and with my name as a manufacturer (compliant to ATF rules). Now what...its been serialized from the manufacturer and I never owned an unserialized 80% receiver ... Not sosmuch because I wanted an "off the books" but moreso for personalization. huuuuhhh??? so i should be good since it was never an unserialized 80%???

And what in the world is this??? Someone breaks in my home, hauls out my gunsafe and I AM responsible for what they do with the guns they stole from me? Are those politicans bubbleguming retarded???? I'm so mad I want to email them that.

I had to work on April 2nd so I was not able to demo my 80% shotgun aka two pieces of pipe, a nail and a crew cap.

I haven't purchased a firearm for years. I build. I've said for years that the day was coming when we would have to make a decision. I have - if this becomes un-Constitutional 'law' in my state, I will not comply .

Kevin Starrett at Oregon Firearms Federation has $313,157.25 on his books as of today. He better be preparing to spend all of it to fight this crap in the courts....
View attachment 568043

LET'S DONATE TO OFF; I JUST DID AND SENT $100. PLEASE SEND WHAT YOU CAN. $300K DOES NOT SEEM LIKE ENOUGH BUCKS TO DO THIS FIGHT. OFF WILL HAVE TO PICK A FIGHT THEY CAN WIN. SURGICAL ATTACK. PLEASE DONATE WHAT YOU CAN NO MATTER HOW LARGE OR SMALL. THANK.

Okay yes I understand... but what if I buy a gun from a pawnshop and they don't follow the guidelines for recordkeeping? How is that my fault, they will be punished for that? Also.. I doubt that some "80% receiver manufacturer" in wherever alabama or what adheres to oregon law because federally they are not selling firearms. This is all completely against federal law what they are doing.

The pawn shop isn't the manufacturer. The guidelines sb-978 quotes are manufacturing guidelines not an FFL doing a simple transfer. Since the receiver was never made my a licensed ffl or it was an 80% made by an FFL who did not log it according to those guidelines because the feds didn't consider it a firearm, then it is deemed an "untraceable" gun.

I read they are also going to classify pepper spray as a restricted weapon as well? Additionally locking requirements for all ammo, components, tools and cleaning components.
If true these yahoos are COMPLETELY nucking futs!!!
I was looking at the pepper spray langauge and I think that may only apply to court facilities but it's still not entirely clear to me.

The pawn shop isn't the manufacturer. The guidelines sb-978 quotes are manufacturing guidelines not an FFL doing a simple transfer. Since the receiver was never made my a licensed ffl or it was an 80% made by an FFL who did not log it according to those guidelines because the feds didn't consider it a firearm, then it is deemed an "untraceable" gun.

I dont remember, was the language actually "untraceable" or was it "unserialized"? two entirely different things. The receiver sure can be traced to me... damn its even got my name on it and the serial is my wife and I initials with our wedding date ;) lol and I am sure the manufacturer of it keeps record of the sales. So untraceable ...not really... bit I know what you mean, the serial is not in some database and trackable where it was produced. Why not do like cali then and have people apply for a serial with the DOJ? Also, doesn't it refer to commercially manufactured receivers and references the codes for that. That would make me wonder if so to speak... private "for your own use" is even implied!? I think its time to see a lawyer if this becomes law :(

Bunch of emails out already. My take is that these laws negatively effect my wife, daughter-in-law, and other women the most. My wife cannot take me to the airport without being a felon. Vintage single shot guns without serial numbers, make "normal" gun owners felons. Women are losing the ability to have a "choice" to defend themselves. I wish more women would have had the opportunity to speak at that hearings (my wife was there at 0630 but was not selected).

As a suggestion, have your wives and other women make their voices heard if they are so inclined. For this bill and all other anti-women, anti-gun laws. Firearms and other defensive tools help to offset the disparity of force. These provisions are very anti-women's rights.

I read over it again. I see that it does have that provision of "recordkeeping". But I also read this as the manufacturer of the 80% receiver needs to do the recordkeeping. And there is this word "knowingly manufactures..". I do not know if the maker of the 80% receiver keeps record in compliance with all the laws and regs, so the assembly of a -serialized- firearm from an 80% is not a felony if its done unknowingly. However, federally speaking the manufacturer is the one who completes the 80% and they are saying the manufacturer is the one making the 80%....geezus!?

This is so confusing it is mindboggling how shady this can be interpreted.

As for serial numbers...prior to the law can a person apply an OAN (owner applied number)? I know this can be done for many items. How about you draw a line on the receiver, also known as a "one". Can't that be a serial number? You could get fancy and laser etch a hand with a middle finger extend, which is also a "one". Just say'n.

As for serial numbers...prior to the law can a person apply an OAN (owner applied number)? I know this can be done for many items. How about you draw a line on the receiver, also known as a "one". Can't that be a serial number? You could get fancy and laser etch a hand with a middle finger extend, which is also a "one". Just say'n.
Yes this is 100% how this is normally done. You don't have to but you can just make up a serial and engrave it...whatever you want. I do believe you have to adhere then to federal guidlines when you do (in case it ever gets sold). Manufacturer Name and place has to be on it then too.

I dont remember, was the language actually "untraceable" or was it "unserialized"? two entirely different things. The receiver sure can be traced to me... damn its even got my name on it and the serial is my wife and I initials with our wedding date ;) lol and I am sure the manufacturer of it keeps record of the sales. So untraceable ...not really... bit I know what you mean, the serial is not in some database and trackable where it was produced. Why not do like cali then and have people apply for a serial with the DOJ? Also, doesn't it refer to commercially manufactured receivers and references the codes for that. That would make me wonder if so to speak... private "for your own use" is even implied!? I think its time to see a lawyer if this becomes law :(

I don't think the 80% provision will withstand the courts, because there is nothing about registration or compensation of any kind. Even the horrible 9th circuit strikes down those laws, and I would expect the oregon courts to do the same. That's coming from someone who is overall pretty pessimistic about the courts and has followed 2A cases closely for the past 9 years. However, I do not have enough experience tracking the oregon legislature to know if they will make that correction to the bill.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top