Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Savage Model 42 .22/410 over/under - Anyone gotten their hands on one?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Quackerbacker, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Quackerbacker

Quackerbacker Springfield, OR Active Member

[video=youtube;mPpx9p4s5EE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPpx9p4s5EE[/video]

Really intrigued about this gun. Comes in either .22 wmr over 410 or .22lr over 410.

I've read about the discontinued model 24. My chief concern being reports that you cannot zero for both barrels, the one not zeroed will be significantly off from the other. Which would negate most of the usefulness for me. That was the 24 and it was one report i read, i can't confirm its authenticity.

Anyway, has anyone taken the plunge on one of these yet?

2. bikejunkie

bikejunkie Salem Well-Known Member

I have a close friend with one and its a pretty cool rifle. You just zero for the .22 and a shotgun is basically a shotgun- long range accuracy isn't what that part is for

3. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

I shot one a couple years ago, just real quick and handed it back without analyzing the accuracy.

If it were mine, I'd also be inclined to zero the .22 barrel at prefered distance and then test both from a steady rest at short, medium and long range into a cardboard box or something.

Within the max effective range for a 410, I'd sort of expect the shot pattern to encompass the .22 hole. If not, at least I'd have a fair idea of how far off it is.

4. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I'd go for the .308/12. and that bearded freak is a.. freak

5. xlsbob

xlsbob coos county Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

Don't know anything about the model 42 but I do have a model 24 22lr/20ga. With sights set for beer can at 30 yds with 22 barrel, the 20 ga will hit can also.

6. Quackerbacker

Thanks for the replies.

As for the "bearded freak" it's just style. Pretty common to see in the south, especially in the 50+ crowd.

Cabelas has one for msrp here in Springfield. Absolutely hate to pay that, and i'd prefer to buy from a smaller gun shop, but nobody has one, even the online retailers are all sold out.

7. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Yep I bought one at the Gunbroker in Clackamas, and there were a couple more...

8. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

I have a .223/20ga one that makes a good truck gun, I really like it as it was my grandpas gun. I did have a newer .22/20 that I sold a while back it just didn't fit a niche for me.

9. Quackerbacker

What are your impressions so far? Have you gotten a chance to shoot it?