JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I went to buy the Savage A-17 last Thursday. Didn't because of the awful trigger! The A-17 comes with the famous AccuGrit trigger! Man it was nasty!

I went to buy the Savage A-17 last Thursday. Didn't because of the awful trigger! The A-17 comes with the famous AccuGrit trigger! Man it was nasty!

I heard so many great things about the Accutrigger and then went and held one. I do not understand all the positive comments about them. Trigger is crap to me and the bolt felt like it was not properly machined down...super stiff. Maybe it was just the one I held but that turned me off of them.
I like the CZ 455 American though. Maybe just cause I am a CZ fan but it feels much more solid to me.

The CZ isn't semi auto,but that;s the way I would go for another 17hmr.
Does the a17 have the new rotary mag? If so my 17 Bmag isn't easy to load but not terrible.
I would expect FTF issues with the 17 since the 22 mag has had them for years in most every auto loader that was made for it.
Too long and slender to make feed reliably was someone's answer

Yes I suppose the old adage is true in this case "you get what you pay for" shame on me for not waiting until all the bugs were worked out of an inexpensive and difficult to cycle caliber in semi auto........

The CZ isn't semi auto,but that;s the way I would go for another 17hmr.
Does the a17 have the new rotary mag? If so my 17 Bmag isn't easy to load but not terrible.
I would expect FTF issues with the 17 since the 22 mag has had them for years in most every auto loader that was made for it.
Too long and slender to make feed reliably was someone's answer

I forgot they had even made that semi auto. I read a bit about it but it is damn hard to beat a bolt gun no matter how fun a semi auto is. The CZ has yet to let me down.

I purchased an A17 last weekend. I was looking for a rifle my wife would enjoy shooting. She likes minimum recoil. With .22 still being a bit difficult to find the .17 made sense to me.

We both liked shooting it very much. We had four failures to extract right in a row. My wife though we'd bought a lemon. I assured her new autos were a bet finicky in the beginning.

After the first four FTE it shot flawlessly. We ran over 200 rounds with it without one hitch. After we shot the 200 rounds we pulled out the Ruger 10/22. She had always loved shooting the 10/22 but after shooting the A17 she liked it better.

I'm quite impressed with the A17. It's the first Savage that I've ever owned.

Now, I'm looking for scope recommendations. When we shot it I put a Sig Sauer red dot from my Sig Sauer 556R. She wasn't crazy about the red dot.

Any suggestions?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads