JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was out toward North Plains last night, watching the stars and witnessed four satellites pass overhead in a row, kind of paralleling skyline ridge. All in the same path, about 45 seconds apart. Seemed odd to me, almost like a n+1 redundancy setup in spy satellites.
Does anyone know of a website where you can look up the satellite paths?
TIA.

Space X satellites for the Starlink project most likely. They are firing off rockets and launching as many as they can. They're projecting that at @1000 satellites they'll have an operational money making system and that they'll have up to 12,000 of them up there when they're finished.

Elon Musk just revealed new details about Starlink, a plan to surround Earth with 12,000 high-speed internet satellites. Here's how it might work.

"Starlink, once complete, would consist of nearly 12,000 satellites — more than six times the number of all operational spacecraft now in orbit. The goal is to finish the project in 2027, thereby blanketing the Earth with high-speed, low-latency, and affordable internet access. "

Last Edited:
No, sorry. But, I love when we're on vacation down at Siltcoos Lake and our after dinner walk down on the docks takes us to a bench where we sit and look for satellites. But keep in mind you depend on the sun to make the satellite visible, so there is only a portion of the night sky where you can see them. I'm reading they're 300-900 miles above the earth, so the earths shadow limits how many you'll see.

Space X satellites for the Starlink project most likely. They are firing off rockets and launching as many as they can. They're projecting that at @1000 satellites they'll have an operational money making system and that they'll have up to 12,000 of them up there when they're finished.

Elon Musk just revealed new details about Starlink, a plan to surround Earth with 12,000 high-speed internet satellites. Here's how it might work.

"Starlink, once complete, would consist of nearly 12,000 satellites — more than six times the number of all operational spacecraft now in orbit. The goal is to finish the project in 2027, thereby blanketing the Earth with high-speed, low-latency, and affordable internet access. "

And thus Skynet is born.

Have they considered how much a pain in the butt it would be for astronomers based on Earth, to not be able to have a 100% clear night sky to observe stars and the likes, if there's over 12,000 satellites crisscrossing the night sky? :confused: I mean, sure one can go to large telescopes at observatories, but that's like in a specific latitude range... what about those who do it all from their backyards, or rooftops? :rolleyes:

We have zero light pollution over here at our place and it is not uncommon to see those satellites going over in pairs...usually one tracking a relatively small distance behind the other because epsteindidnotkillhimself.

We have zero light pollution over here at our place and it is not uncommon to see those satellites going over in pairs...usually one tracking a relatively small distance behind the other because epsteindidnotkillhimself.
Soviet spy satellites. The first to do the spying, the 2nd to kill the first if it doesn't do its job. Communism even infected machinery.

No, sorry. But, I love when we're on vacation down at Siltcoos Lake and our after dinner walk down on the docks takes us to a bench where we sit and look for satellites. But keep in mind you depend on the sun to make the satellite visible, so there is only a portion of the night sky where you can see them. I'm reading they're 300-900 miles above the earth, so the earths shadow limits how many you'll see.

I spent many a summer weekend bouncing jigs off the heads of largemouth bass in both lakes Siltcoos and Woahink. The water in the 70's was so clear I could see clear to the bottom!

I spent many a summer weekend bouncing jigs off the heads of largemouth bass in both lakes Siltcoos and Woahink. The water in the 70's was so clear I could see clear to the bottom!

Woahink is like that still. Siltcoos is clear(er) in the winter/spring. When we're there in September it's getting some green to it and can be pretty thick by early October. Tahkenitch is black tea/coffee colored. I love "Tahk". Bassiest looking lake I ever saw. Full of history too. Well, the whole area is though I guess.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews