JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sarah Brady, wife of former Reagan press secretary and gun control advocate, dies at 73

Published April 03, 2015
FoxNews.com
Facebook0 Twitter0 livefyre Email Print
bradyinternal61616.jpg

Sarah Brady, the wife of former White House Press Secretary James Brady and tireless advocate for gun control, has died at the age of 73, her family announced in a statement Friday.

"We are deeply saddened that our beloved Sarah passed away today after battling pneumonia. Her son, Scott, daughter-in-law Andree, stepdaughter, Missy, and brother, Bill, have been by her side in her final days," the statement said.

"We are enormously proud of Sarah's remarkable accomplishments and the impact she had on so many people -- whether as an elementary school teacher, advocate for a safer America, devoted mother, friend, wife and caregiver. Sarah fought the good fight her whole life. "

Brady became a political force on Capitol Hill after her husband was shot in the head by John Hinckley Jr. during the 1981 assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan.

James Brady died in August last year, also at 73, in part due to injuries sustained in the attack. The Virginia medical examiner's office ruled his death a homicide attributable to the gunshot wound and its complications.

Sarah Brady went on the lead "The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence" in the 1990's, which led to the passage of The Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act. The law, signed into law by President Bill Clinton in 1993, required a waiting period for handgun purchases and created a national registry for background checks.

Brady was seen frequently on Capitol Hill in recent years, particularly after the Sandy Hook shootings in Newtown, Conn, and pushed for the passage of stricter gun control legislation in the wake of the massacre.

Last edited by a moderator:
Odd the world is. Brady was a Reagan republican until he was shot in the head then woke up as a democrat. His wife went on to blame guns and worked to rid the world of them. May she rest in peace from her senseless work.

Rot in Pieces? I agree.
No, not really.
As far as I'm concerned, she went through hell because of a nut-job, so she gets a pass. She was gripped by emotion for a heinous crime committed against a man she loved, that ruined him.

Now, the people (if you can call them that) that exploited her emotions and her position as the wife of a cabinet member of the most successful republican president in my lifetime?
Oh yeah, those people can rot in pieces.

Odd the world is. Brady was a Reagan republican until he was shot in the head then woke up as a democrat. His wife went on to blame guns and worked to rid the world of them. May she rest in peace from her senseless work.

Ronald Reagan himself was a big fan of the Brady bill.

86' machine gun ban was on a bill Reagan signed, as well as the separate AP pistol ammo ban bill..was quoted as saying he didn't believe anyone needed an AK/AR for defense of themselves.. banned open carry statewide in California when he was governor, etc etc. Was that all done "in the grip of Alzeimers"? I somehow doubt it.

This OpEd he wrote in the New York Times in 1991 titled "Why I'm for the Brady Bill" seems pretty lucid as well.

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/29/opinion/why-i-m-for-the-brady-bill.html

There was a lot more to the 1986 FOPA aside from the Hughes amendment.
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20110125/no-surrender
Gun shows didn't exist like they do now, before FOPA.
There was no mail order handgun ammo sales before FOPA.
Gun dealers were subject to ATF abuse before FOPA.
You had to be 18 y/o to buy ANY ammo that could be used in a handgun, including .22RF, and you had to show ID and sign for it before FOPA.
You had NO PROTECTION from arbitrary state laws when traveling interstate with a gun before FOPA.
Before FOPA, gun registration at the federal level was VERY possible, and had been discussed extensively.

Nobody thought the Hughes amendment would stand. The way it was passed left everyone involved certain it would fail a court challenge.

And the AP ammo ban was part of the uproar over what were the "cop killer" bullets for handguns.
If you noticed, in the attempt to ban M855, it failed the definition of AP, as it should.

I was a shooter before 1986, and trust me, things got A LOT better for all of us under Reagan.
Was he perfect? Nope.
But compared to clinton or obama? (or LBJ or carter?) He was MUCH better for gun owners.
No contest.

Last Edited:
One less tyrant on the earth to try to destroy our freedoms! Her legacy of trampling on our constitutional rights and 2nd Amendment has resulted in the death or injuries of many other innocent people.

Good riddance!

P.S.
Which people here actually think Ronald Regan was a pro-gun president? Back in the 80s being pro-gun was not exactly a Republican virtue like it is today. Heck, even the very anti-gun Giuliani tried to weasel his way into some type of half-a**ed pro-gun stance for redemption, once he got heavily grilled for his long history of being virulently anti-gun and adamantly pushing every type of gun control regulation he could.

Last Edited:
With Sarah Brady's passing, a little candor from the press

With the passing today of longtime gun control advocate Sarah Brady, there is some honesty from the mainstream press about just exactly what she stood for the past three-plus decades

<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads