JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hi guys,

I live in Central Oregon and can maybe shed a little light for some of you.
Sage Rats over here are really a problem. Every rancher and farmer I know is more than happy to get rid of them as they burrow hundreds of huge holes in their fields which can create a hazard for valuable livestock such as horses and cattle. No one wants a valuable horse to have to be put down due to a broken leg...but it happens.
So, to answer the question, yes, you shoot them and leave them on the ground. Most of the guys I know over here use anything from AR's to 22-250, 17HMR or even 22LR and as some have stated, there isn't a whole lot left after bullet impact. Between coyotes, cougars and birds of prey you're pretty much doing nature a service and helping out the AG community as well.

Happy shooting.
Ok sign me up. I have a 22 where do I start n how do I go about it?

When I was a kid back in the 70s, ranchers and farmers here in northeast Oregon would sometimes offer .25 cents a tail or give us .22lr ammo, we always took the ammo and always had all we could ever want for shooting. When I got older and started trapping coyotes and badgers I kept the carcasses for bait.

Even if the fields are too tall you can hunt brush piles around the periphery. I used to bring a sturdy card table and lawn chairs and shooting bags but simple sand bags will work too. We liked to set up as far out as possible, my favorite rat gun, a Colt H-BAR with a 6X24 Bausch & Lomb scope or....a .22. Don't worry about leaving the carcasses, you are doing these ranchers a huge favor and if you prove yourself to be safe and polite you will always be welcome! Good luck, have fun!

This is my favorite sage rat set up. Just park on the edge of the fields with my swivel shooting table 014.jpg

014.jpg

On Dinsdale farm you can only use rim fire ammo and only shoot sage rats. It explains it on their map that you get when you sign up at the office. You can't park on the fields or walk out on them. Last year when I went a group of guys had their three rigs park right on the field has I talked to them I could tell they didn't go to the office and sign in and didn't care about it or that they were parked and walking all over the fields. Of course if Dinsdale ever closed their fields cause of people's disregard of rules those guys will most like be the first to cuss about it and bubblegum about Dinsdale's closing shooting on their Property. It's a great place to go it's free sure some years the numbers of the rats are down but there's always some shooting to be done hope it remains to be open and kept free. Another nice thing about Dinsdale's Farms is it's not too far from the town of Christmas Valley where there are two hotels that are fairly priced and you can stay there.

It is my understanding, after speaking to a property owner in Christmas Valley, that access to the Dinsdale property was badly abused and access may no longer be permitted. Aside from those who couldn't figure out where to park their vehicles, an ATV was stolen. I rely on the hospitality of another property owner in the area, and I marvel that anyone would be so low-life as to violate common courtesy, much less steal from someone who permitted access.
Of the two hotels in town, I've roomed at the reasonably-priced Lakeside Terrace Motel (541-576-2309) and there's a place to eat adjacent to the motel. There's another place not far away, but I can't speak from experience for that one.

I admire your concern about shooting and leaving the rats. Having said that let me also say that they are known to occasionally carry bubonic plague. Every few years someone comes down with it from the rats in western Idaho so be careful about handling them. They are also cannibals. Wound or kill one and the others in smelling distance will feed on the carcass. I have witnessed one dragging another by the guts down a hole and the wounded one was screaming. Its a good shooting plan to watch the bodies of the dead ones for their friends and relatives to sneak up and start the last supper. Not kidding!!!

I went over once to Christmas Valley with a few buddies years ago. We shot sage rats all day and rabbits all night. It was one of the funnest times ever. What are the best months to go over there these days? Thanks for info.

I went over once to Christmas Valley with a few buddies years ago. We shot sage rats all day and rabbits all night. It was one of the funnest times ever. What are the best months to go over there these days? Thanks for info.

Keep in mind spot lighting is illegal if the light is cast from a vehicle or within 500 ft of a vehicle (unless on private property and acting as an agent of the property owner) If walking the sage brush you can have a light on your rifle. Also even the dirt roads in Central and Eastern Oregon are considered ROADS and you are not allowed to shoot from down or across a road.

Just trying to keep the state of Oregon from auctioning off your pickup rifle and gear while you loose your hunting rights for a year or so.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top