JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think they like cold climates which in Oregon is E. Oregon which is desert. But they like sandy loam farm land especially irrigated land and they dig into elevated irrigation ditches.

I've never seen any at Columbia River elevations but they are all over the place in Wallow County and Klamath County for instance. (high elevation)

I've never seen any out in open desert where there isn't farming and irrigation. Maybe that's because we hunt farms, I don't know.

First off, you don't have to go to Eastern Oregon to hunt sage rats; Central Oregon will work fine. It may seem petty, but nothing will "out" you as someone who doesn't know what the bubblegum they're talking about quicker than referring to Central Oregon as Eastern Oregon ;)

My friends and I go to Christmas Valley every May(ish) to hunt the local alfalfa fields (generally referred to as "pivots", since there is one center irrigation pivot in each field). Sometimes you can know people, sometimes you can pay a guide who has access to certain private land, and if all else fails you can go to a certain farm and hunt their many and varied pivots.

I forget the name of the farm, but the GPS coordinates as-per Google Maps are +43° 14' 57.36", -120° 53' 52.56"

Go to the scalehouse, there's a signin sheet, a list of rules (only use .22LR, don't shoot our stuff up, don't shoot when there's people in the fields, other common sense stuff) and maps of where you're allowed to hunt on their land.

Enjoy!
Do you think they would allow me to hunt with a .177 air rifle? If they would I will definitely go there. Also, does it cost anything?

In college 35 years ago we'd go shoot gophers/ground squirrels at the farmers and they welcomed it outside of Pullman WA in the Palouse. My best shot was down hill 115 yards with a Remington Model 581.22 bolt action and a 2x7 Burris scope using a Remington Yellow Jacket hollow point. Aimed about 3 inches above his head. He disappeared, I thought I missed...partner and I walked down the hill. Found him with is guts blown out. The squirrel...not my buddy.:D Also used a Marlin 581 .22LR semi auto with open sites and it was very accurate too. Yeah, the days of 100 rounds of CCI hollow point for .49 cents at KMart.

Brutus Out

Returned from Christmas Valley. The sage rats appear to have burrowed for the cold weather ahead. Morning temperature was 32 deg. F, rising steadily with the sun to the 70s. Tagged a few jackrabbits with my .223 bolt action, but we were surprised to see so few in areas that have been productive in the past. Ed CV223.jpg

Jacks definitely have high and low years. I used to hunt them regularly out in the Post and Paulina areas and some years they were so thick it was nothing to get on a hill and scope out the brush and see ears moving all over. Then some years there are hardly any. If I recall it was not particularly too many years ago the were at an all time high in the Xmas Valley area and people having 'old time' rabbit drives into nets. It was on local TV.

Jacks definitely have high and low years. I used to hunt them regularly out in the Post and Paulina areas and some years they were so thick it was nothing to get on a hill and scope out the brush and see ears moving all over. Then some years there are hardly any. If I recall it was not particularly too many years ago the were at an all time high in the Xmas Valley area and people having 'old time' rabbit drives into nets. It was on local TV.
That's reassures me for future trips!

I went rat hunting by K-Falls last weekend. Not as many as last year but we were a couple of weeks early. My son and I went through a few hundred rounds and had a blast. Alfalfa is short so the time is right!

My brother and I went down by Baker City today looking for ground squirrels. The weather was just right, but we only saw a handful. Our determination was that we are still just a couple weeks early over here.

Visited Christmas Valley two weeks ago and saw more rabbits than sage rats, but a few of them were careless. Used the .22 pistol, the .22 Magnum rifle, and the Howa heavy-barreled .223 Rem. It wasn't a windfall trip, but it was better than watching network television!

Piv 8 Ed Pistol.jpg

17.WSM it rules on squeakers, rabbits, and coyotes. Savage B-May Thumbhole with Tasco World CLass 22x44 varmints scope and bi pod, deadly out to 300 yards. Back up is a CZ 455 ULta Lux 22 LR with 28.25" barrel, Tasco 22x44 varmint scope and bipod, deadly up 150 yards

A friend is using a .17 HMR and another gentleman has had praiseworthy results with a .204 Ruger. I continue to use a .22 Hornet, .223 Rem., and .22-250 without complaint. The primary requirement of a good varminter is accuracy and the shooter's ability to optimize it. Practice, zero in carefully, and enjoy your time afield!
We normally leave the carcasses where they drop, and you can be fairly certain the carrion-eaters (buzzards, ravens, hawks, coyotes, etc.) will dispose of the rabbits and squirrels by the following day. In truth, the Hornady 50-gr and 55-gr V-Max bullets upon which I usually rely are devastating, frequently dismembering small game on impact.

pile up the dead ones and wait for the vultures and shoot them too!

I think you better check the regulations first. Most Raptors are protected and carrion eaters especially. Shooting a buzzsard could likely turn your truck and equipment into Oregon's property along with a large chunk of your money!
Just sayin',
Gabby

pile up the dead ones and wait for the vultures and shoot them too!
I think you better check the regulations
Yep - unless it's changed sparrows and starlings USED to be the only UNPROTECTED birds in Oregon. And besides why would you want to shoot the vultures ? - they are a magnificent bird and perform a useful function by EATING all the dead stuff!.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top