JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Keep in mind spot lighting is illegal if the light is cast from a vehicle or within 500 ft of a vehicle (unless on private property and acting as an agent of the property owner) If walking the sage brush you can have a light on your rifle. Also even the dirt roads in Central and Eastern Oregon are considered ROADS and you are not allowed to shoot from down or across a road.

Just trying to keep the state of Oregon from auctioning off your pickup rifle and gear while you loose your hunting rights for a year or so.

Hi, Yes we were on private property. I'm not sure about the agent part but he did give us permission to hunt all night so I am sure he would have vouched for us.I really need to get back over there.

really you wont get in trouble?? I want to try it but i go by the old saying you only kill what your going to eat...

Don't worry about it, they turn into good fertilizer, but, if you want to eat them, take a cooler, skin them out , take them home. Its no big deal. And, then if you find some shoot some rock chucks, they are a lot bigger, more meat. They eat ton's of grass every year, and dig even bigger, more dangerous holes.

Just got back from CV. Spent Friday and Saturday camping out there. Had good success with the Jack Rabbits. Got close to 20 in 2 days. Sage Rats were just not around very much. Went by a half dozen pivot farms and saw mayby 10 rats total. Just too cold still. Got down to 16 over night.

2014-03-23 15.16.56.jpg I shot 200 sage rats yesterday. This is the earliest I had gone and was not sure they would be out but it was great weather and they were every where. Had a great time even got one with my new pmr30.

Anyone know if they are still allowing this? That particular farm that was mentioned? New to the sage rat scene so looking for someplace to shot. Thanks!

Last Edited:
Sage Rat Season!!! Woo Hoo!!! The Eastern Oregon Raptor Feeding Society rides again!!!:s0004:

For all of you PETA types out there...these little buggers fight back!!!:D

CameraDump7-03-08197-1.jpg DSC00103.jpg beret_rat.jpg

Last Edited:
I just back from Fort Rock, CV, Silver lake area this past weekend. Sam Dinsdale's fields are still open. Just go to the office (outside sign up sheet, don't bother anyone in the office), sign up, follow the rules on the back of the map, be respectful, find a field, and start slaying rats! This past weekend was cold and very windy so the rats were not to eager to come out of there holes but some of the locals said that they are very thick this year. We still managed to exterminate a few, but is quite a challenge to hit a small target at 100+ yards with a .22 lr in 30+ mph winds. We went over to Christmas Valley and there were tons of rabbits on the BLM land south of CV. Saw coyotes, antelope, deer.

Do yourself a favor if your going over in that area and make reservations for dinner at the Cowboy Dinner Tree, you won't be disappointed!

I notice that Google Earth shows a ton of pivot irrigation farms around Boardman, Umatilla, Hermiston area. Are there any places to hunt sage rats in that area?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top