JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think you better check the regulations first. Most Raptors are protected and carrion eaters especially. Shooting a buzzsard could likely turn your truck and equipment into Oregon's property along with a large chunk of your money!
Just sayin',
Gabby
BillGabby: I made no recommendation to shoot the carrion-eaters; I simply observed that they do their work so well that we need not concern ourselves with picking up the remnants of the squirrels and jackrabbits we eliminate in the field. Perhaps I've expressed myself poorly, but I have not suggested these useful creatures be shot. I believe another contributor made that remark.
Best wishes,
Ed (Backfire)

Ed I never said you did. If you would look at page 1 of this thread you will see I was quoting someone who goes by "Sheepdip" Not Backfire!
Sorry if I gave you that impression.
Gabby

Figured it's about that time of year to resurrect this thread. Leaving in the morning for our first rat shooting trip of the year. Talked to a couple folks that we know over there, and the weather has been hit and miss so far. Last Monday was blowing snow and by Thursday, it was sunny and the rats were out, so who knows what we'll find. We go on our first trip every year during spring break for Washington schools, and most years it's decent weather and pretty good shooting. Going to do some "exploring" this year, as the private ground we usually shoot won't be available until May sometime.

20170401_110909.jpg Just got back from 3 days of rat hunting in Crane. The sun was out and so were the rats. I went thru 500 17hmr rounds and 200 .223 rounds out of the ar15.

Wow, that's awesome. We just got here this afternoon, and knocked on doors until we found some area to shoot. Not too much action, but it was almost sunset, and was cooling off. Will try the same pivots in the morning. Might be knocking on doors again. Hot Springs are really good though!

Wow, that's awesome. We just got here this afternoon, and knocked on doors until we found some area to shoot. Not too much action, but it was almost sunset, and was cooling off. Will try the same pivots in the morning. Might be knocking on doors again. Hot Springs are really good though!

Go 10-15 miles past the hot springs, some really nice folks around there.

We are headed out there for a week, first part of May. Babies should be out. Weve been going for about 15 years now, and its always a blast.

IMG_3003.jpg My cousin and I shot last Friday and Saturday. The rats and chucks were out in force. We killed 38 rock chucks and 200-300 rats. The rat count was higher in past years, but the alfalfa acreage was severely reduced this year.

Y'all are having way too much fun!
I tried prairie dogs in Central AZ
with a 270 loaded with the lightest bullet available.
It actually turned them inside out like a sock!
Great fun and the ranchers loved me because in addition to all the holes they dug, they ate everything green, to the ground!
Depriving the cattle the fodder they needed to put any fat on.
Shoot them they are a trash animal as far as farmers and rancher are concerned.
Gabby

pile up the dead ones and wait for the vultures and shoot them too!

Good way to end up in jail, as far as I know vultures, or buzzards as they are also known are a protected species because of the service they do. Removing dead meat from the road sides!
Please don't shoot the garbage collectors, including ravens!
Gabby

I would like to take my son hunting at the end of March but have never done it and would like some information or someone I could contact. I don't want to spend a $100 a gun a day either. Just want to spend some father son time and enjoy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Teach him how to knock down clays with a shotgun and take him bird hunting.
Some of the best memories I have of my dad are the years we went pheasant hunting in eastern Washington and down in Tahuya.
He won't get bored, as I did, with deer hunting and he'll have the added fun of actually shooting the gun every time he goes out.
Shooting the gun and bringing home some game is a big plus when you start a child hunting.

Dean

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads